Cows and zero grazing

kevthedev

Cows and zero grazing

Post by kevthedev »

I have noticed a lot of the Europian maps have no grazing areas for cows, or if they do they are very small.
Is this how things are on dairy farms outside the UK?
zero-grazing is rare here because the welfare of the animal is extremely important to people in the UK. Usually, they are kept in for the winter and turned out in the spring. Some farmers still take them in on cold nights or bad weather.

I love maps that have a large grazing area which means I'm restricted to UK and Irish maps :(
eric21

Re: Cows and zero grazing

Post by eric21 »

Depends on the region, remember cattle sheds in Europe are massive
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Hollandskeveld or however it's named, got a large grazing area.
There are a couple of others, but I agree, fewer than I thought
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

If the cow barn doesn't have a large grazing area, I delete the map. Deal breaker for me. Old Stream Farm pastures are the smallest I will go.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

The valley of the old farm got a nice one too
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

I always use that open cow pasture mod. It always reminds me of Australia because we turn out cattle out into 100 acre paddocks. The cattle are spread out in that mod, I like that.
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
Rabbitbugs93

Post by Rabbitbugs93 »

Zero grazing is getting quiet popular here in ireland, some farmers mightn't have enough land in one block for the amount of cows they have, but most would have more land near there farm or a few miles away, so they bring grass from one of those areas an put it in the feeding area an the cows can eat it before an after milking an head out to the paddock whenever they want..I know other farmers that do it an there cows are just as good as anyone else's if not better..
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

I love watching vids of UK farmers letting their herd out in spring. Oakfield had a nice grazing area, and also had that grass field that connected player could always role play as another grazing area (field 10 I think it was?). Amd as far away as some of the cows are like on Pemberton farm and funkyfarmers farm it wouldn't be hard to imagine that field that was a placeable area on 17 by the church as a grazing pasture.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

I hate seeing animals (real or simulated) being locked up in sheds all the time or having tiny pastures. I’m a bleeding heart and won’t eat veal, either! I don’t hate people who feel differently , though.
kevthedev

Post by kevthedev »

Aghalee Farm looked great until i noticed there is no grazing area :( why not? looks and feels miles better when the cows have a grazing area :( bigger the better
Crosscheck

Post by Crosscheck »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 am I’m a bleeding heart and won’t eat veal, either!
As a Millenial Farmer fan, the funniest moment actually came from their Off The Husk podcast when their pig-farmer friend referred to young pigs as “bacon seeds”.

Don’t think of calves as veal, just as burger seeds!
SimulatedFarmer

I’m not overly squeamish about the age of the calves, depending on methods. I’m not opposed to veal, if it’s not the extreme production (no movement and extreme confinement). The problem is, I think field veal is really good, but I’m not willing to eat the beef under extreme confinement situations. The trouble is, I have no way of knowing.

As for zero grazing, I suspect our demand for meat and available acreage, means we eat a lot more of zero grazed meat than we realize. This is an internal struggle for me. I’m not a PETA extremist. I grew up in a meat eating family.

As for the game, I don’t object to the small pastures. That’s one of the reasons for the high quality feed we’re giving these animals. :)

Oddly, it’s the horses I feel sorry for. They can suffer, if they’re not exercised enough, by being confined too much. I never owned cattle. I have owned horses. And, I’m just a little crazy.

Also, I’m not as much a purist in the simulation as some. My friend keeps detailed notes and schedules. I’m just not that detail oriented. That’s why she never has destroyed crops and why I, continually, do.
SimulatedFarmer

Crosscheck wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:38 pm
SimulatedFarmer wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:13 am I’m a bleeding heart and won’t eat veal, either!
As a Millenial Farmer fan, the funniest moment actually came from their Off The Husk podcast when their pig-farmer friend referred to young pigs as “bacon seeds”.

Don’t think of calves as veal, just as burger seeds!
I will keep that in mind. That’s a great reply.
JamP

Post by JamP »

In some regions here in Brazil, extreme confinement of cows for dairy products is very common.

In high temperature locations that create Holstein keeps them confined in a place with controlled temperature and humidity for better production.

As a rule it is, perfect climate, perfect ration, less movement = more milk.

Some locals even play classical music for cows. I confess that at first glance it seems strange, if they could at least play a video game in that air conditioner ...
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
SimulatedFarmer

That’s interesting and smart. I’m glad I don’t have to muck out that barn!