what is your Favorite British map?

CaptGoodvibes

Re: what is your Favorite British map?

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

The main reason I like to keep a UK map installed is when I have a whim to drive on the left.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
kevthedev

Post by kevthedev »

The maps aren't as good as fs 17 or 15 .
FS15 had some belters :)
I wish i know how to make maps tbh.
RODHA

Post by RODHA »

Purbeck Valley Farm
PS5 / FS22
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

In order ...

1. Greenwich Valley
2. Little Norton
3. Somerset Farms

.. the only reason Oakfield isn't in the list is that I haven't played it on FS19
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Patton_M47

Post by Patton_M47 »

thanks but my project is on hold and greenbale said no to greenwich
I do FS19 old school mods and FS19 military mods for PC let me know if you want anything done
I don't have any form of social media nor discord FYI
Ban time total: 7 days
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Sussex Farms

Good starting farm set up and lots of room to expand, nice special features, good sounds and low starting slot count on consoles.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

Rabbitbugs93 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:18 pm Greenwich valley..tried Little Norton but just had to go back to Greenwich.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on both maps. I enjoy both but only have room for one. Do you have a handful of pros and cons off the top of your head? Cheers!
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
Patton_M47

Post by Patton_M47 »

SimulatedFarmer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 pm Sussex Farms

Good starting farm set up and lots of room to expand, nice special features, good sounds and low starting slot count on consoles.
hmm maybe
I do FS19 old school mods and FS19 military mods for PC let me know if you want anything done
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

If you try it, check out some of the good videos. MrSealyP and Daggerwin. I was totally confused at first. It’s almost like a different world. I haven’t played a different map in 3 months and I’m not bored, yet.
Patton_M47 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 am
SimulatedFarmer wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:01 pm Sussex Farms

hmm maybe
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Patton_M47 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm Im working on a project of getting all the Best European maps into a 64x map. What are you favorite British maps?
I admire your idea for it's size, not sure on your map making experience but here are just a few issues/roadblocks you will hit which you might not have thought of.

1) Your unlikely to get permission from other map makers to use there maps. Most map makers have invested so much time and energy into there maps they won't someone else changing it or using it in another project.

2) Even if you got permission for all 32 original maps your missing the fact each maps DEM terrain will be at massively different heights and almost impossible to blend together without changing large parts of each map. I know as I tried this with my 4 released maps, it looked ridiculous. You'll have height differences of 100s of metres.

3) Ignoring the first two issues your next one is a big one, performance.
To make a larger map work properly the density files have to be increased, at 64x default size this makes them a huge pixel size. At that size the density files will be 32,000 x 32,000 pixels per image. That is a image that is over 3GB in size for just 1 of the density files.

Everytime the game has to update or load these files (like when you load the PDA map up) it will tax even a top PC to it's limit. (Try just saving a texture file with a pixel size over 16,000 pixels and just see how much your PC starts to groan.) It will cause huge stutters and pauses when updating ingame. On some medium or slower spec PCs this will most likely just crash the game.

This is just the way GIANTS game engine works and it has it's limits.
Personally it's no fun playing on a map with bad performance.

Lastly I have to ask what is the point of such a large map? Even if it was a blank flat 64x map, at an average speed of 30mph it will take you approx. 20mins just to drive from one side of the map to the other. Imagine forgetting something and having to go back.

You'll have an area that is 6,400 hectares in size which if you were to work, say using a 45ft header combine it would take you over 1,700 hours to harvest that map just once. That's 70 solid days of non stop farm sim play!

I know players like to feel like they are part of a huge landscape and a much bigger world. But realistically how big an area can you actually farm. Even if you have no job, no responsibilities at all you would still struggle to ever fully work a a 4x map in its entirety let alone anything bigger.

I just wouldn't want you to put in a ton of work to then hit 1 of the issues mentioned and decide to give up.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
Ado239

Post by Ado239 »

Im a big fan of Sussex but that flickering thing it when around the main yard is annoying
PS4 player. Case is ace but fear the Deere! *thumbsup*
Patton_M47

Post by Patton_M47 »

BulletBill wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am
Patton_M47 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm Im working on a project of getting all the Best European maps into a 64x map. What are you favorite British maps?
I admire your idea for it's size, not sure on your map making experience but here are just a few issues/roadblocks you will hit which you might not have thought of.

1) Your unlikely to get permission from other map makers to use there maps. Most map makers have invested so much time and energy into there maps they won't someone else changing it or using it in another project.

2) Even if you got permission for all 32 original maps your missing the fact each maps DEM terrain will be at massively different heights and almost impossible to blend together without changing large parts of each map. I know as I tried this with my 4 released maps, it looked ridiculous. You'll have height differences of 100s of metres.

3) Ignoring the first two issues your next one is a big one, performance.
To make a larger map work properly the density files have to be increased, at 64x default size this makes them a huge pixel size. At that size the density files will be 32,000 x 32,000 pixels per image. That is a image that is over 3GB in size for just 1 of the density files.

Everytime the game has to update or load these files (like when you load the PDA map up) it will tax even a top PC to it's limit. (Try just saving a texture file with a pixel size over 16,000 pixels and just see how much your PC starts to groan.) It will cause huge stutters and pauses when updating ingame. On some medium or slower spec PCs this will most likely just crash the game.

This is just the way GIANTS game engine works and it has it's limits.
Personally it's no fun playing on a map with bad performance.

Lastly I have to ask what is the point of such a large map? Even if it was a blank flat 64x map, at an average speed of 30mph it will take you approx. 20mins just to drive from one side of the map to the other. Imagine forgetting something and having to go back.

You'll have an area that is 6,400 hectares in size which if you were to work, say using a 45ft header combine it would take you over 1,700 hours to harvest that map just once. That's 70 solid days of non stop farm sim play!

I know players like to feel like they are part of a huge landscape and a much bigger world. But realistically how big an area can you actually farm. Even if you have no job, no responsibilities at all you would still struggle to ever fully work a a 4x map in its entirety let alone anything bigger.

I just wouldn't want you to put in a ton of work to then hit 1 of the issues mentioned and decide to give up.
very good point maybe i should wait till there are better PC and a new farm sim
AKA Oberfeldwebel Patton
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

My favorite British map is marwell. I could go into a 6 page explanation why. I have temporarily retired it, until I come up with a new angle on how to play it.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
BreadedVirus

Post by BreadedVirus »

chedly_farms wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:40 pm My favorite British map is marwell. I could go into a 6 page explanation why. I have temporarily retired it, until I come up with a new angle on how to play it.
I invested over 1000 hours into Marwell. The best map I’ve ever played in FS.
the big print giveth the small print taketh