Alternative methods for collecting straw

cedricthecat

Alternative methods for collecting straw

Post by cedricthecat »

I’ve just harvested barley from field 15 on Oakfield Farm, which it turns out is a massive field (well, compared to all the others on the map!) and I’m currently picking up the straw swaths. Even though I only left straw behind on every other run (had two harvesters operating side by side, one with straw enabled, the other without) there’s still around 20 swaths.

Initially I baled the straw, which was a nice methodical way to do it: Run over the swaths with the baler from the straw add-on, leaving little sets of three bales, then whiz round with a Fliegl autolad trailer, drop them on the edge of the field, then go back for more. However, I was getting close to my console bale limit, so then switched to collecting with a loading wagon, using the one with the largest capacity I have, the Schuitemaker Rapide 8400W (56500 litres). This gets full after every swat-and-a-half, meaning a few trips back to the farm to unload (admittedly not a huge issue as the farm is not far from field 15). Then I decided to drop the straw at the field edge, and later on I’ll go back and pick it up with a conveyor, which is saving time now but not for later!

I was wondering what else I could do. I had a go using the pelletiser from the straw add-on, but I soon got fed up with this as it has this habit of getting overwhelmed with slightly bigger piles, and then switching itself off. In the past I’ve used the Lizard Milling Machine on the front of a tractor and shot the straw over the top into a trailer, usually the Lizard Idealiner 133 (79,000 litres), but again, this can sometimes miss stuff meaning a need to go back over the same ground.

Are there any other methods? Is there something I’m missing?
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Noraf

Re: Alternative methods for collecting straw

Post by Noraf »

You're missing patience :biggrin2:

If the premos shuts off you are operating at a too high speed for it to process the swath.
Remember, that thing has a operating speed of about 4km/h in real life....

Make your bales, and have the premos with the table setup at the field edge. If you don't have enough tractors, use the ArtMecanic PTO to power the premos. Dump pellets in a big trailer. (Remember that the belt height is adjustable)
That way, you save time driving straw around, you get to make pellets without it jamming up, and you get to make bales (also remember that the premos only accepts square bales)
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

Noraf wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm You're missing patience :biggrin2:
LOL! Honestly though, although I can see what you are saying, I was being really careful, as I've been caught with the turning off thing before (on my Sussex Farms save)

Good idea about using the Premos. Again, had this setup on Sussex, in fact I got a little obsessed with it, and also had the pallet hall going to process all those pellets I made. In the end, I had so many pallets I lost count, and although my intention was to sell them, this was when I suddenly decided I needed to switch maps and ended up on Oakfield
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
FSarndrone

Post by FSarndrone »

If the premos shuts off you are operating at a too high speed for it to process the swath.

Make your bales, and have the premos with the table setup at the field edge. If you don't have enough tractors, use the ArtMecanic PTO to power the premos. Dump pellets in a big trailer. (Remember that the belt height is adjustable)
That way, you save time driving straw around, you get to make pellets without it jamming up, and you get to make bales (also remember that the premos only accepts square bales)
There is only one thing....it is extremely tedious and long to load bales into the premos especially when it was just the third time you’ve ever handled bales in farming simulator with a telehandler/front loader :rolleyesnew: by the way that’s just how it was for me....
I love multiplayer :mrgreen: and John Deere :coolnew:
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

As with all things farming, patience
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Remember the Primos only accepts base game square bales, no 6000 liter or whatever Hesston bales. What I do for the Primos when I come up to a pile is slow cruise control to 1 or 2mph and I don't run into problems.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
JamP

Post by JamP »

You can place a truck with 3, 4 or 5 (Will depend on the maneuvering area in the silo) BsM 70,000 liters next to the field and collect the straw using the RANDON + Lizard Milling Machine.

It dumps on the BsM and then leads to the silo and returns. It'll save you a few trips.

In No Man's Land I made a "train" with 10x70,000L, but I designed the map and silo for that.
Playing on Xbox
Stream on Twitch

From no man's land... Oh, Brazil!

Giants Image Server
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

FSarndrone wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:31 pm

There is only one thing....it is extremely tedious and long to load bales into the premos especially when it was just the third time you’ve ever handled bales in farming simulator with a telehandler/front loader :rolleyesnew: by the way that’s just how it was for me....
I did get used to popping the bales on the belt, but I was using the big bag handler!
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

JamP wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:23 am You can place a truck with 3, 4 or 5 (Will depend on the maneuvering area in the silo) BsM 70,000 liters next to the field and collect the straw using the RANDON + Lizard Milling Machine.

It dumps on the BsM and then leads to the silo and returns. It'll save you a few trips.

In No Man's Land I made a "train" with 10x70,000L, but I designed the map and silo for that.
I like the idea of the Randon. I've used the Annaburger trailer, the one that lifts to tip, in a similar manner before. Wish there was a loading wagon that did the same thing!

BIB. How does this work?
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net