FS 17 saved games are corrupted, can't continue a saved game

Ghiby

Re: FS 17 saved games are corrupted, can't continue a saved game

Post by Ghiby »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:31 am 1. I thought you said you play with no mods. There are mods listed. For example tow bar mod. Now I didn't have a pc on 17 but on 19, tow bar mod has caused problems.
2. You said stream updated automatically around July 4th. Why would steam update a game that didn't have an update applied. Fs19 got an update, but not fs17. Giants doesn't update that game anymore.
my friend,

I appreciate your desire to help, so let's be constructive about this and try to troubleshoot the problem

the troubleshooting process is in theory simple, as follows:

1. Identify and describe the symptoms, what actually happen

2. Try to understand what can be the root cause of the problem using multiple methods, like, but not limited to:
- try replicating the problem
- try eliminating extra apps - in our case mods - which I did already
- try to test in different working conditions
- narrow down the results, to what appears to be the cause of the problem, under supervision of a qualified tech support representative, with proper specialized training, preferably from the developer's team

3. Identify the solution
- once the root cause of the problem is somewhat identified, find some solutions, ideal, 2-3 solutions to try and implement
- implement the solutions, one by one and see the results
- if the problem is fixed, note the steps for future reference in case someone else may have the same problem in the future
- if the problem is not fixed, then repeat the entire process, until you fix it

in theory is simple, but as always in practical terms is not as simple as it may be perceived

that being said:

1. I play with mods, tons of it, over 130-150 mods, some of them from Giants directly, some from great mods creators outr there

in my troubleshooting steps, I've also eliminated the mods, entirely not just not checking the mods, but deleting ALL the mods, from the mods folder in the native game structure - so blank, with no mods, just the vanilla base game

I've also uninstalled the entire game and reinstalled once again,- via Steam - so, a fresh new reinstall, with no mods

the result is the same, the problem is still there

I've posted in the log file, or savegame file, one with mods, to give the developers the chance to look deeper and investigate, but once again, I've tried with no mods also, it's the same result

2. Steam is a digital platform geared on sales and promotions of games, a virtual online marketplace to buy games online, download them, and install them on the spot, fast, once payment is complete

- Steam, owned by Valve Corp, has its own software to manage the entire platform, as such they have their own automatic updates for their own software

- Steam also will push automatic updates from the game itself, in this case from FS 17, when the developers release an update or a patch for the game, then automatically, in turn Steam also will push that update to the game-owners and users

yes, just before 4th of July, some update, a major update appears was pushed via Steam - automatically, without my control, without me approving, or not, this update - once I launch the game FS 17, since it's under Steam, then updates will be pushed automatically, regardless if I want it or not

I don't know if it was a Steam update for their own software, or if it was a game update from Giants directly, since I don't work for Steam nor for Giants, so I have no clue - however an update happen, was pushed and installed automaticaly and all - my problem - started after that update, or it appears so... it may not be the update itself, I don't know, that's why I am asking for help from tech support team

to conclude:

- it's not my computer, the game works just fine once I launch it, and as long as I keep playing it, all works fine - how can it be my computer, if the game works while the game is running

- it's not my video card hardware device, nor my driver update, once again, the game works just fine, will display fine, no freezing, no crashes, it runs nice and smooth, while I'm in-game

- it's not the mods - as with, or without the mods - the game works the same, nice and smooth, while I am in-game

the problem is once I save the game, at the time of saving it, or once I load a saved game, at the time of loading it, the loaded game is corrupted as described before, I'm losing all the inventory, grains, fruits, trucks/tractors, trailers/tippers, tools, animals and their own inventory and placebles...

my friend IL farmer, welcome to the world of "tech support" - it's not that easy as it may sound

me, I'm waiting for an answer from Giants representatives, only them can perform proper tech support, assuming they are well qualified, since they developed the game

yet, no one can tell me the answer to a simple question, where is the inventory in my savegame... this is concerning to me, as far as competence... like, really, there is no one reading this call for help, in Giants team competent enough, qualified enough to provide me with a clear answer..??..

this is very concerning to me...
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 am Yes, you are in the technical support for fs19. Anyways try this link
https://farming-simulator.com/support.p ... country=gb
Contact them through there.

Edit: if you have no mods and your computer supports it then there shouldn't be a problem. Since you have no mods then I would say there is a problem with your computer.
p.s.

thank you for the link

I've already did that, and they suggested me to write here in the forum, that's why I am here in-frum, because they told me it's the best way to "troubleshoot" the problem via discussions here...

yet, except one answer, no one is helping me with something clear... this is proof of "great customer service"...
Alagos

Post by Alagos »

You're asking about a game that doesn't get full support anymore, afaik. That might be something.
Besides that, the forum is mostly used by the community and not a good way to get official support. Though that's the reason you were send here, if you've literally tried 'everything' and are still having the problem, it's probably something almost no one has ever run into.

Anyway, if the game runs fine with and without mods and you only get problems after saving and reloading the game I'd assume it's some third party program that's touching your files, after everything you've tried.
Maybe Steam Cloud, OneDrive, anything else that might touch it.
I assume people don't use Seasons, unless they say otherwise.

How to upload your >> log<<
How to upload >>images << to the forum
How to get your gamekey's activation limit >>reset<<
How to report a >> bug <<

>>Rules<<
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

Alagos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 pm You're asking about a game that doesn't get full support anymore, afaik. That might be something.
Besides that, the forum is mostly used by the community and not a good way to get official support. Though that's the reason you were send here, if you've literally tried 'everything' and are still having the problem, it's probably something almost no one has ever run into.

well,

let's take it step by step:

1. I've opened a support ticket with Giants tech support, before joining the forum here, via the link IL farmer just posted

- as a result, they, the Giants tech support suggested me to join here in-forum and continue the conversation, which I did, being somewhat hopefully we'll in fact have a conversation and try to troubleshoot somehow, someway this odd issue Im experiencing

1.a.

- I'll say it again, I purchased a legal copy of FS 17 via Steam just 1-2 weeks before the 4rh of July
- there was nowhere stated in the notes or comments that the game creators-developers - aka Giants software - stopped to support this game, as if I would've seen such a statement I wouldn't have purchase it
- as such, I payd full price, more as a test for me preceding FS 19 that's more expensive than FS 17
- so I paid full price for my legal copy of FS 17 and in turn I expect full support, while I get nothing clear in return - I will leave fair reviews about this on multiple gaming magazines, from PC Gamer to many others where I am a regular contributor

Alagos wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 pm Anyway, if the game runs fine with and without mods and you only get problems after saving and reloading the game I'd assume it's some third party program that's touching your files, after everything you've tried.
Maybe Steam Cloud, OneDrive, anything else that might touch it.
2. This statement is in fact the most competent statement I've received so far

- not even the guys from Giants themselves did such a statement suggesting to look on a thrid party
- I began to suspect the exact same thing, considering indeed, the game works just fine, with or without the mods, up until either the moment of saving it, or the moment of loading a saved game

I'm not using Overdrive, not to my knowledge, but yet again, I don't know what may "touch" it if anything, since I don't know the game engine and how it works

me I was suspecting it may be from the Steam - or via Steam - the loading of a saved game, but how it works, only a tech from Giants would know, since they build it and adapt it for Steam to work... me I have no clue how it works...

so, we go around the circle, with no one from Giants competent enough to troubleshoot this case...

it's so pitiful that I can't beleive they expect us to buy FS 19... I'm tempted to buy it, but what if I have similar problems and no one is around to help me and give me any kind of support if and when needed...

so, I'll switch my attention (and real money) to many other games out there just waiting to be purchased... from Assasin Creed to Halo, to Witcher to Call of Duty and many other series, (the list is long and could go on and on) all are tempting us to spend our money, I guess it's pointless for me to insist on Farming Sim series...

I'm still puzzled, how come after 3-4 weeks, no one is able to give me a simple answer, where is saved my inventory of grains, fruits, silage, manure, etc. etc. etc. - so I can check it on my end... no one so far, could give me a straight answer... this is puzzling to me...

thank you for your honest attempt to help mate, it's the most competent suggestion I've received so far... how to approach it, and how to fix the problem, it's a different story, but thank you...
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Saves are in ../my Documents/my games/ Farming sim 17/Savegame
Try to zip it and upload it here, so others can take a look.
Found this on steam forums
It´s already a known bug (since november) with a non-official/compatible version of the repair vehicles mod
So maybe delete mod named FS17_repairVehicles.
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

strauts6 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:28 pm Saves are in ../my Documents/my games/ Farming sim 17/Savegame
Try to zip it and upload it here, so others can take a look.
Found this on steam forums
It´s already a known bug (since november) with a non-official/compatible version of the repair vehicles mod
So maybe delete mod named FS17_repairVehicles.
thanks, mate,

yes, I've already deleted the FS17_repairVehicles mod, as, me too I was aware of this mod creating issues, also from the Steam forum...

however, I have the same issue with no mods at all, just plain basic vanilla game, still, my issue is at the moment of saving - or loading - the game... only then, in one of those phases, saving, or loading, something is corrupting the savegame file... either at the saving stage, is not saving correctly, or at the loading stage, is not loading correctly, assuming the saving part was done correctly...

if I'm in-game, like 12-24 hrs - or whatever time I want to keep the game open - playing without saving it (ever) and without quitting and reloading the game later, all works just fine, quite fine, nice and smooth, I have no issues while in-game...

I've tried to zip the savegame and attach it here, is not working, is not accepting attachments that are compressed - and sorry, I'm not gonna set up, sign up for a third-party file hosting-sharing provider (free or otherwise) just to post some files here, it's too much hassle for me and it's not worth the effort...

I've posted here the log file and some savegame files and I had no answer from tech support from Giants, so what's the point to go the extra step?? to accomplish what??

and I like the game, I really do, it's relaxing, calming, being open world, endless, with no competitive quest or nothing like that, it's my kind of game, I love it... it just bugs me I can't save and get out the game, then come back and pick it up from where I left...

and I'm extremely disappointed with the support from Giants tech support team... how can I upgrade to FS 19, which I would like to eventually do, but how can I do that, when no one is competent enough to help me, or not even to monitor and continue a discussion here... how can I have confidence everything will be fine with FS19 to spend my money on it too... they all want just to sell us the product, collect the money, but don't ask for extra help after that, or you're doomed to oblivion, no one cares... this is not how a serious business and company is supposed to conduct business... and once we exchange money to buy their products, this becomes official business... it's not free, at least I've paid for my legal copy, like anyone else...

but, they, Giants, have no clue who we are as users, and this will hurt them in the long terms, as I for one, I will present and describe my experience in PC gamer, IGN and a few other online magazines where I'm a regular paid contributor and then they'll (Giants) look for me to remove or change and edit my reviews...

I wish I wouldn't get to that point, but I gave them more than once chance
- I've submitted a formal trouble ticket, and nothing happened, other than being routed here, via forums, supposedly to troubleshoot and solve the issue

- I've transitioned here in the forum - we are here, right - and once again, nothing happened, for over 4-5 weeks, no one is monitoring this "troubleshooting process" and no one is making an honest attempt to fix my issue, no one qualified and competent enough to do some real troubleshooting, as it's supposed to be done

so, I gave them the chance to help and correct a problem, once I pointed out there is a problem that needs attention - no resolution, which is the typical customer support we'd come to expect from a European based company.. in the USA, such company would be out of business in a short time...

as a side note...
I've dealt with Rockstar - NYC office - about GTA V, with EA about Sims 3 & 4, with Activision-Blizzard about Call of Duty and I could go on and on... simple fact, Eve online and SL - Second Life - have a 24 hrs maximum response time, that's part why I am with them, a paying premium membership since 2006, to this day... I'm a self-declared hardcore gamer, as such I deal with other developers and publishers on a regular basis, year after year, this is not something new to me, trying to troubleshoot some bugs or problems...

anyway, with others, every ticket-issue was solved on average in around 7-10 days... maybe I was just lucky... or maybe they were just doing their job with diligence...

here, we're already 4-6 weeks, since I've submitted my official trouble ticket, and no one in Giants even cares about it...

so, what can we do, we meager users-players just purchasing the game if we have a problem and no one will listen..??..

I for one, I will let the world know... so others will think twice before purchasing a product from Giants... and there is a big, a huge, humongous world out there, outside this forum here or the Steam forum...

@ Giants staff...

no, this is not a threat, not at all, far from it...

this is a guarantee, a promise, a fact... you'll see what a review-article in PC Gamer and IGN can do... it's also my right as a buyer, to make my voice heard about my experience with a product from your - Giants - company...
Last edited by Ghiby on Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Sorry I can't give the answer you are seeking but what I'm curious about is what triggered the update as I doubt it's Giants as looking at the last list of things in the change log on the website they seem like very old issues.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/chang ... country=gb

The lack of of an official response on the forum is the norm I'm afraid *thumbsdown*
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Can you attach all files as text documents here? From a save that has no mods. Also try to completely any issues with mods, rename mods folder, just add a number or something.
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

norfolk farmer wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:17 pm Sorry I can't give the answer you are seeking but what I'm curious about is what triggered the update as I doubt it's Giants as looking at the last list of things in the change log on the website they seem like very old issues.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/chang ... country=gb

The lack of of an official response on the forum is the norm I'm afraid *thumbsdown*
as Alagos pointed out and also as I was suspecting, and still suspecting, it may be an update from Steam, about their Steam platform-software app and me too I don't think it's an update from Giants game engine per se

yet, nonetheless, only Giants as developers know-how is integrating with Steam or interacting with Steam - not me, not us, as users, but them, as developers, since they made the adaptation for Steam platform

even so, I'm trying to troubleshoot on my own - with the help and suggestions from you guys, the community around here - yet, I can't get a simple answer as to where in the savegame is saved exactly my inventory of grains, fruits, silage, manure, slurry, etc. etc. etc. so I can check on my end, if it's saved correctly, at the time of saving, or if it's loaded incorrectly, at the time of loading...

how can I - or how can we - troubleshoot in the dark, on our own, if we don't have some basic guidelines, like where the heck is saved the inventory of grains and all that...

I've asked repeatedly, like a broken record, what file, and what string of code... no one - in Giants - is either competent enough or capable enough to monitor this forum here, this attempt at troubleshooting an existing problem...

how is that proof of great quality customer service, so we can keep buying from them??

that being said, me too I think it's an update from Steam - but how is this update impacting the way the games are saved and loaded, I have no clue, more importantly, I have no clue how to fix the problem...

sure, someone from Giants may happily say: "well it's Steam, it's not us"

fine, but the giants game engine interacts with Steam in some way, at the moment of saving, or loading, otherwise I wouldn't have this problem... how do we fix this problem...

me, I'm just extremely disappointed by the lack of active involvement from Giants tech support team, if they even have one... due to this experience, I for one, I definitely won't ever buy another product from this company again... sure, maybe losing - or not gaining - extra $20-40 from me as a new repeated buyer is not a big deal for them... (not counting DLCs and maybe new releases in the series to come)...

I had a freezing problem with FS 15 - no one from Giants helped me and that in and of itself should've been a red flag for me, I've long abandoned FS 15, even if I've paid for it...

yet in my naivete, I've upgraded to FS 17...

that was working just fine, for over 100-150 hrs until this update blew it all... I definitely won't buy FS 19, not with this kind of customer service response...

yes, they created a great product, I like the game concept and the feel of it... but that's not enough, supporting your users base is also important and as a gamer, I've learned over the years to stay away from companies who don't care about their customers...

so, bottom line, it may be from a Steam update, we don't know for sure, but still, we should be able to troubleshoot with a qualified and competent representative from Giants...
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

strauts6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:06 pm Can you attach all files as text documents here? From a save that has no mods. Also try to completely any issues with mods, rename mods folder, just add a number or something.
in a previous post under this thread, I've attached three (3) saved games, some careersavegame I believe with - and without - mods, the ones I've saved at that time, while I was actively and intensely troubleshooting...

can you check and have a look at those...

now, on my end, I've started a new game - with mods - and I just keep the computer open and the game open non-stop, because of this issue, I can't save it, or if I do, I will lose everything... so, to be able to enjoy a bit the game, I just keep one computer non-stop with the game open... luckily I have more than one computer I'm using, so I can do this unusual trick...

but, some files in .txt format are already posted by me in this tread in past postings... maybe those would help...

I hate to ask again, but can you tell me, or do you know where in the saved game files is saved the inventory of grains, manure, slurry, silage, etc. I have..??.. where exactly, how would the string look like..??.. no one so far could give me an answer on that, so I can't even check if it's saving correctly or not...
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

They could be saved in vehicles.xml or items.xml. Also disable steam cloud saves, as it could be full.
[Edit] It is vehicles.xml
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

strauts6 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 am They could be saved in vehicles.xml or items.xml. Also disable steam cloud saves, as it could be full.
[Edit] It is vehicles.xml
thank you much strauts6

yes, it looks that was it, me too I've been thinking it may be something wrong with saving and/or loading from steam cloud, as such I've disabled it, and voila, it seem it did the trick...

the one and only competent and valid troubleshooting step that actually fixed my frustrating problems came from strauts6 - a sincere thank you...

I will look into vehicles.xml - here should be the inventory saved?

as a side note, since then, it's over 7 weeks, almost 2 months now, sadly for me - and for Giants - I've lost my patience, with that I've lost my interest in FS 17, or any other version, I regret my purchase of FS 15 and FS 17, but for me at least, lesson learned, I won't ever buy again from Giants...

I'm a self-declared hardcore gamer, adult mature gamer, on top of being an avid simmer, from FSX, now to most expected Fligh Sim 2020

I have some disposable income to spend on games and there are so many options out there, there is not enough time as much as I'd like... sadly, FS series lost appeal for me...

have fun guys, I don't think I'll stick around...

@strauts6 honestly, thank you mate, that was the issue, you were on the spot...