Stockman - Feature requests and further development

What feature do YOU think I should add next?

Alerts at old age
37%
New animal types (ducks, goats etc)
24%
Warnings per feed type (instead of total food)
39%

Total votes: 46

Luftkopf

Re: Stockman - Feature requests and further development

Post by Luftkopf »

w33zl wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:36 am Hopefully it's not to much work :) I have some bugs that I need to prioritize but I will have a look at this too as soon as possible.
Excellent. Thank you. I appreciate the work you put into this.
w33zl

Post by w33zl »

FarmBoss wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:49 pm Is this a trap?
What do you mean by "trap"? :o
Check out my mods: Stockman | TidyShop | Pallet Price Balancer | Buy Used Equipment

Want to report a bug or have a suggestion to any of my mods? Check out my official Farming Simulator project website. Or support me on my fan pages Facebook or Patreon .
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

w33zl wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:00 pm
I was being silly.
Some people have the notion that modders don't like requests, and here we have a modder asking for requests.
Some people have been really raked through the coals for having the audacity to mention something they think would help improve a mod.
It's actually nice to see a modder strike that group down, with or without realizing it.
w33zl

Post by w33zl »

FarmBoss wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:20 pm
w33zl wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:00 pm
I was being silly.
Some people have the notion that modders don't like requests, and here we have a modder asking for requests.
Some people have been really raked through the coals for having the audacity to mention something they think would help improve a mod.
It's actually nice to see a modder strike that group down, with or without realizing it.
Ok, got it! :biggrin2:

I personally just thinks it's a good sign if people are enjoying my mods enough to ask me to improve it :) Hope more modders feels like I am!
Check out my mods: Stockman | TidyShop | Pallet Price Balancer | Buy Used Equipment

Want to report a bug or have a suggestion to any of my mods? Check out my official Farming Simulator project website. Or support me on my fan pages Facebook or Patreon .
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

I agree with you. If people like something, they'll think of ways to improve it to make it even better. If they didn't like it at all, they'd simply delete it and be done.
I write mobile games, and I consider every bit of feedback (good and bad) as free advice, and an opportunity to improve. I've fixed bugs, and added features based on reviews and emails.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Here is an idea, for important information. Try to estimate the growth rate of your animals, in seasons and in vanilla, and show predicted resource consumption. This will be challenging in seasons, as cows have to be inseminated first, but perhaps you can show estimates for 0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6, and so on, years out. Basically count all of the currently pregnant cows, and determine what the food/straw/water consumption rate will be in that time frame.

I personally have difficulty estimating the food due to the animal growth rate, and usually make sure I always have a double annual supply in stock. I've never pig farmed, but I'm sure there have been many a pig farmers that have run low on food due to an unexpected high growth rate.
w33zl

Post by w33zl »

dan1109 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:53 am Here is an idea, for important information. Try to estimate the growth rate of your animals, in seasons and in vanilla, and show predicted resource consumption. This will be challenging in seasons, as cows have to be inseminated first, but perhaps you can show estimates for 0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6, and so on, years out. Basically count all of the currently pregnant cows, and determine what the food/straw/water consumption rate will be in that time frame.

I personally have difficulty estimating the food due to the animal growth rate, and usually make sure I always have a double annual supply in stock. I've never pig farmed, but I'm sure there have been many a pig farmers that have run low on food due to an unexpected high growth rate.
Hi and thanks for the suggestion *thumbsup*

I think that would be an interesting feature, however, as you mention, it would likely be quite complex to achieve. And I'm also not sure exactly where that information would be displayed in Stockman (it is a fine balance between the important info and "information overload" :hmm: ).

That being said, Seasons do have an animal overview where you get an estimate of the expected amount of food per year for each animal pen. I'm not sure if it takes into consideration the growth rate, but if not this would be a nice improvement for seasons I think :)

w33zl

Post by w33zl »

dan1109, just to be clear. I'm not saying I will never implement such a feature :) I just need to think about it and consider how big effort it would require. Maybe someone out there has a bright idea on how to properly calculate the growth :search:

dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

w33zl wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm dan1109, just to be clear. I'm not saying I will never implement such a feature :) I just need to think about it and consider how big effort it would require. Maybe someone out there has a bright idea on how to properly calculate the growth :search:
I'm certain Seasons doesn't include future growth in their Food Estimate. Its based on that exact moment. And apparently animals should eat more when pregnant. I guess the important thing would be how to figure out what the food consumption rate is for a newborn, compared to a near mature or mature animal. For a near mature or mature animal, that's easy, just buy 1 animal new. Maybe looking at the Seasons LUA code might shed some answers. Yes, I know it would be complex, but its certainly something that would be useful in regards to animal information. Thank you for your consideration.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Seasons does have a estimate of how much food they will eat.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:37 pm Seasons does have a estimate of how much food they will eat.
Yes, but only based on your current livestock. I'd like to see a future prediction of livestock count and food requirements, based on Season's reproductive rate for the various breed. Milking Cows are the easiest as they reproduce once a year, period. However, I believe age also plays a role into how much they eat, so a future outlook isn't that straight forward. Sheep, pigs, chickens can be much more complex to figure out (and difficult, needing to go through and look at each animal's next delivery date).
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

The age is accounted for the prediction. Sheep should only reproduce once per year as well. Pigs wouldn't be that hard either. When they are born they should be drinking milk from their mom, and when weaned moved to another building and therefore you would get a prediction of how much food is needed. After your first year, you should know how much food you will need for the following years to come.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

I guess Illinois Farmer is right, I was always assuming the cow food increase was due to the mother's weight increasing, but I guess that weight increase is due to being pregnant, lol...and I never bothered to look at their weight after they have the calf (which I assume should drop tremendously after birth), so yeah, I guess it does predict animal growth.

However, I noticed in Stone Valley, Stockman isn't working for me. According to the mod description in GitHub, there is a limitation that it only works with one animal area per animal type. Stone Valley starts with 2 cow pens, so I guess it will never work for cows on that map. This is quite a limitation. Anyway to improve this and have to track multiple pens per animal type, even with some sacrifice of functionality? I see that normally you can't rename the pens - maybe that's part of the problem, pens having the same exact name, but I guess I could figure out how to rename the pens in the mod before using them, and rename the 2nd cow area in the map file.

EDIT - Stockman finally kicked in a full subseason after I bought my cows. Its great, because the straw consumption has been mystifying me. Unlike console, I guess PC Seasons has a bug with the Straw display. The GUI looks like you have only 40% left, but the numbers you have only used 1/3 - and Stockman is confirming it, showing I have 66% left.
nagor

Post by nagor »

Possibly there is a conflict with Livestock Trailer Addon: https://mikaelleven.myjetbrains.com/you ... TOCKMAN-23
w33zl

Post by w33zl »

nagor wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:18 am Possibly there is a conflict with Livestock Trailer Addon: https://mikaelleven.myjetbrains.com/you ... TOCKMAN-23
Thanks for using my issue tracker, that is most helpful! :hi: *thumbsup*

I have replied on your post :gamer: