How long do you keep, use, equipment?

spincast1123

Re: How long do you keep, use, equipment?

Post by spincast1123 »

Some interesting answers to the question. Am I wrong or do the tractors wear down the more hours they have on them.... or does the price of maintenance on them just keep going up? Of course it could just be me being me... an old fart with nothing to do but complain. :biggrin2:
When it is all going sideways... Sidestep it, or go fishing!
playing on PS4
PS4farmhand

Post by PS4farmhand »

I thought the maintenance cost increased with the amount of days owned..... I think the numbers turn red or something?? Idk... I've gone and confused 😕 myself 🤔🤔🤔🙃🤪 gonna have to go check it out when I get home now.
Farming on FS19 🚜
On console, PS4🎮
Taking donations for an epic PC 🤑
Hmm.... Guess that's it. :hmm:
Oh.. I love emojis 🤪
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

there is no real reason not to keep a vehicle in this game like there is in real life.
so most of us keep what we bought over time because ... why not. where as in real life you'd replace an old tractor or implement eventually and get some value back from it
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

You get some value back in the game too. Real life you keep stuff because you can't afford a new one every year. In game, you trade in to get that new mod that came in.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

true fair enough

still in game i hardly sell anything because why would i ? ...
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Just to try a new mod or change things up. Some people have been playing this game since released, if they never sold anything they would still be using base game equipment.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
El_Nino_NL

Post by El_Nino_NL »

Most hours I got on a single tractor was a little over 20 hours.
Nowadays I do not even get past 10 hours on a single map. Can't get quite into them all.

In the very beginning of FS19, before the mods came out, I had a save on Ravenport with all Case tractors/harvesters. Got to a lot of them to eventually end up with 2 Quadtracs. No idea how many hours I got into it.

Current save, on Hollandscheveld, I try to keep my tractors for as long as possible. This map I do like.
Bobbydj1980

Post by Bobbydj1980 »

I keep all the equipment I like because you would in real life and I like to play realistically plus I owe the bank so much on the game it feels like it will never get paid ,🤣🤣
Love farming simulator I play on the Xbox series x orangebeach Alabama
elisecoen

Post by elisecoen »

Machines like tractors make the work involved in getting fields ready for planting much easier. Making sure the farming machines you own are properly maintained is important.
Keeping the oil and hydraulic fluid in these machines changed is important. If these fluids are low, then it may lead to internal component damage. If you are unsure about how to properly maintain a tractor or other farm machines, allowing professionals to do this work is a good idea. While you will have to pay for this help, it will be worth it in the long run.
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

spincast1123 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:22 pm Some interesting answers to the question. Am I wrong or do the tractors wear down the more hours they have on them.... or does the price of maintenance on them just keep going up? Of course it could just be me being me... an old fart with nothing to do but complain. :biggrin2:
In the help section, down under the shop category, there is an entry for equipment lifespan.

You are correct.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

More land is either lots of additional smaller tractors and small implements, or new bigger tractors and bigger implements. Sometimes an old smaller tractor isn't very competitive with a big 400HP tractor using a 18-24m implement. So, if that's the case and the old tractor with the small implement doesn't fit into my work rotation well, I retire them to HomeFarm chores or have them work with Animals...or sell them, and get a new shiny Wheel Loader...
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Tractors are weird though too they kinda hit rock bottom then never really loose value after that if they are maintained. Then eventually some crazy people decide they are worth way more money and the price goes back up. Especially the green ones haha
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:56 pm You get some value back in the game too. Real life you keep stuff because you can't afford a new one every year. In game, you trade in to get that new mod that came in.
Ah, that new mod smell.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Bit late to the party, but I'll put in my 0.02.

I play all of my FS19 (besides my farm builds) with Seasons activated. It's a given for me. I have never played long enough on vanilla FS19 to know how maintenance works there.. Currently on FSN, I have some tractors who are getting close to 50 hours. If I kept my original equipment (which I could have), I'd be in the triple digits for hours. With my JD 8530 that I kept up to 130 hours, I never saw an increase in repair costs when it got older. The value just decreases dramatically. And by the time you get it to high hours and want to sell it off, it's paid for itself and the loss of value doesnt bug me because it was a good tractor. I know some people in FSN that run their tractor into about 350 hours, and repair never caught up with them. I will however note that paint is SUPER expensive if you ever get that kind of equipment that loses paint fast, namely the JD 9R series. It costs 20k to repaint a tractor that's lost 10% of original paint, not a money-making scheme by any means. In essence, I'd keep your equipment as long as you like if you enjoy running it and it serves a purpose on the farm :hi:
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Crosscheck

Post by Crosscheck »

Running 9 day seasons,I don’t even notice equipment hours until they are over 40 or so. My work hose tractors will be in the 60-70 hour range before I start thinking about replacement. In the end, however, I only replace them when something can do the job better.

For example: I have a 360-hp Optum on Stone Valley that is around 80 hours — it mainly handles mowing and pulling a second auger wagon at harvest. I’ve thought about replacing it, but why? I either need something in the same hp range, which leads me right back to the same model, or a BigM plus another tractor for harvest...