Meaning of Silo Overfill

SimmerLiner

Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by SimmerLiner »

Every time I unload a harvest into a silo, it says something like "Start Overfill", even if the silo is empty. :shock:

I've always understood the term overfill to mean filling something beyond its capacity.

Does this mean something else in Farming Simulator 2019? :hmm:

Thanks

-Mike
CaptGoodvibes

Re: Meaning of Silo Overfill

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

"Overfill" is empty what is attached to your vehicle and put contents in the silo or anything you are filling from the source to target when you are operating the source.
PS4
-----------------------------
I like jumping off the deep end
SimmerLiner

Post by SimmerLiner »

Thanks CaptGoodvibes

Ok, it's probably just semantics and not a warning.
So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

SimmerLiner wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm Thanks CaptGoodvibes

So if I understanding what you are saying the process is positional. Meaning I'm unloading what is in my tipper by positioning the tipper 'over' the loading grate of the silo, thus 'over' filling. Correct?
Something like that. Just remember, if you are emptying anything you are operating, the action is "overfilling"

If you have a bag of seeds on a front loader and you drive to your seeder, you can overfill.

Cheers!
PS4
Daytona

Post by Daytona »

Thanks for asking SimmerLiner, it made no sense to me either. Giants need to change the word to fill.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've always assumed that it's a mis-translation of a German word or phrase, because in English I'd say it should be "Unload" not "Overload", because the latter means "fill too much".
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
raran

Post by raran »

CaptGoodvibes wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Something like that. Just remember, if you are emptying anything you are operating, the action is "overfilling"

If you have a bag of seeds on a front loader and you drive to your seeder, you can overfill.

Cheers!
Emptying is emptying. Overfilling is filling something past the correct or maximum fill level. I tend to side with bleu_painted and put this away as a bad translation.
SimmerLiner

Post by SimmerLiner »

The 'bad translation' scenario seems to fit, doesn't it. :-D

Thanks all for your help and replies.

-Mike
spincast1123

Post by spincast1123 »

I don't believe it is a "bad translation" rather it is a direct translation. Some languages translate differently and word placement is not like American English. As for Giant changing the words... why do so if the general idea is there and the farmer gets the idea, even if it takes a little time. Giant has other things to do, like testing and developing mods..... or getting the next iteration of the game worked out... There is an old saying... 3 languages - Multilingual....2 languages - Bilingual.... 1 language - American.... Oh, before you get upset, I am an American that speaks only one language....lol...
When it is all going sideways... Sidestep it, or go fishing!
playing on PS4
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

spincast1123 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 pm I don't believe it is a "bad translation" rather it is a direct translation. Some languages translate differently and word placement is not like American English. As for Giant changing the words... why do so if the general idea is there and the farmer gets the idea, even if it takes a little time. Giant has other things to do, like testing and developing mods..... or getting the next iteration of the game worked out... There is an old saying... 3 languages - Multilingual....2 languages - Bilingual.... 1 language - American.... Oh, before you get upset, I am an American that speaks only one language....lol...
That's why I wrote "mis-translation" not "bad-translation" -- probably a technically correct but idiomatically incorrect translation: the thing is, developers seldom do this themselves, there are translation agencies for this purpose ;)
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:23 am I've always assumed that it's a mis-translation of a German word or phrase, because in English I'd say it should be "Unload" not "Overload", because the latter means "fill too much".
I don’t know why but in farming overloading is a perfectly acceptable word. Overloading wagons/trailers etc is how the industry itself refers to this equipment. I guess because it’s not just unloading but actually can load into another trailer, so they load over the side of? I don’t know and I am making the last bit up.

E.g

https://fliegl-agrartechnik.de/en/produ ... ng-augers/
Last edited by theSeb on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Overload is what the DOT says when they come to write me a ticket for loading side dumps to heavy 😂. I interpreted it the same way as some others have that it’s loading a trailer from the top. But I always question as to what the alternative way was that made them refer to it as anything other than loading. I guess a scraper can underload? Maybe
CaptGoodvibes

Post by CaptGoodvibes »

raran wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:10 am
CaptGoodvibes wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:48 pm

Cheers!
Emptying is emptying. Overfilling is filling something past the correct or maximum fill level. I tend to side with bleu_painted and put this away as a bad translation.
He asked about the term in-game.
PS4