Seasons difficulty

Mwal

Re: Seasons difficulty

Post by Mwal »

5ka5 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:08 pm
That's pretty interesting. As someone who doesn't know that much about actual farming I would love to see a video of that process.
How do you handle the wet crops after harvesting them?
Actually it’s so cold where I’m from the snow is much drier than what most people think of when they think of snow. When it’s real cold it mostly passes through the combine and if it’s to warm you wait for it to dry just like if it would rain or for it to get colder. If there’s wet snow on the corn it plugs the sieves. If the snows only a foot deep it’s not a big deal if it gets too deep then you start pulling it into the combine so you have to wait for spring for the snow to melt and compress so you can get between it and the ears. It’s a relatively normal occurrence because pretty much anytime after mid October we can get snow that stays all winter. Biggest issue is a blizzard where the snow blows in as tall as the corn unfortunately the corn is a pretty good snow fence haha. I have seen guys use loaders to plow paths through the headlands to get combines in to harvest the field interior. As far as drying goes we have a couple bins with built in dryers. The just consist of an elevated vented floor with a big propane burning dryer a big fan and a stirator to work the corn around.
5ka5

Post by 5ka5 »

Mwal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 pmActually it’s so cold where I’m from the snow is much drier than what most people think of when they think of snow. When it’s real cold it mostly passes through the combine and if it’s to warm you wait for it to dry just like if it would rain or for it to get colder. If there’s wet snow on the corn it plugs the sieves. If the snows only a foot deep it’s not a big deal if it gets too deep then you start pulling it into the combine so you have to wait for spring for the snow to melt and compress so you can get between it and the ears. It’s a relatively normal occurrence because pretty much anytime after mid October we can get snow that stays all winter. Biggest issue is a blizzard where the snow blows in as tall as the corn unfortunately the corn is a pretty good snow fence haha. I have seen guys use loaders to plow paths through the headlands to get combines in to harvest the field interior. As far as drying goes we have a couple bins with built in dryers. The just consist of an elevated vented floor with a big propane burning dryer a big fan and a stirator to work the corn around.
Thank you for your answer. That's very interesting indeed. I didn't have an idea that there was farming like this.

Would you allow me to ask where you are from?
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

5ka5 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm Thank you for your answer. That's very interesting indeed. I didn't have an idea that there was farming like this.

North central Minnesota is where my farm is
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

Mwal wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 pm
5ka5 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:02 pm Thank you for your answer. That's very interesting indeed. I didn't have an idea that there was farming like this.

North central Minnesota is where my farm is
Hidey-oh neighboreeno
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

🙋‍♂️ Sorta neighbors, I live in North Dakota, just farm in mn where I grew up
dan1109

Re: Seasons problems on console

Post by dan1109 »

Conman1356 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 am Has anyone had issues with seasons as of late on console not changing ground temperature and not advancing the day (early, mid, late spring/summer etc.) At midnight or just after midnight Recently?
I've noticed Seasons is VERY wonky on 3 day Seasons, that's why I now play with minimum 9 - just sleep and FF as fast as possible when you have nothing to do.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

dan1109 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm
Conman1356 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 am Has anyone had issues with seasons as of late on console not changing ground temperature and not advancing the day (early, mid, late spring/summer etc.) At midnight or just after midnight Recently?
I've noticed Seasons is VERY wonky on 3 day Seasons, that's why I now play with minimum 9 - just sleep and FF as fast as possible when you have nothing to do.
The only thing that’s wonky is the weather on 3 day seasons.
Conman1356

Post by Conman1356 »

theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm
I've tried literally everything. Even uninstalled all of the mods. No difference. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game and still did the same thing. Can only get seasons to work properly on one single map. Wont even work on the vanilla maps
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Conman1356 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:54 am
theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm

I've tried literally everything. Even uninstalled all of the mods. No difference. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game and still did the same thing. Can only get seasons to work properly on one single map. Wont even work on the vanilla maps
You must have the special version of Seasons then. Is your game up to date? Or you have a mod conflict. It's impossible to help you when you provide the barest amount of information.

The the incrementation of current day is not controlled by Seasons. It is done by the game's engine itself. We take the current day and do some simple mathematics based on the season length setting to work out which period/season/day it is. So, for example, if the current day is 4 on 3 day Seasons then you are in day 1 of summer. If the day is not incrementing then there is something incredibly wrong with your game, unless there is some bug in the calculation which needs a specific set of actions to be performed by the player.

Edit: So I had a look at the code to remind myself what we are doing here and the only thing I can see that could be related to what you are complaining about is the fact that day in the HUD can go back to 1 in certain situations when changing season length. E.g. when you start you are on the default 9 days per season. Then if you go to day 2, the day will increment but if you change the days in season to 3, you will go back to day 1. This is, as far as I can tell and as far I can remember, is what we intended. If you are only in day 2 of a 9 day season you are still in early spring. If we didn't do the offset and put you back to day 1 when setting 3 day seasons, you would have been catapulted forward to mid spring and your growth would have been messed up

Going back to the weather. Seasons includes sophisticated weather creation algorithms based on real world data. It is very hard to then fit that yearly weather into 12 days because you have to normalise it, hence why things can get weird on 3 day seasons and why we do not recommend playing it like that. Otherwise everything works exactly the same in the mod regardless of how many days you have set your season length to be.
Kimpak

Post by Kimpak »

I play 3 day seasons using the generic midwest geo (which is technically more southern then mid) on Lone Oak and don't have any real issues.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I'm pretty sure it is designed after Missouri growing status, which is still midwest.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 pm I'm pretty sure it is designed after Missouri growing status, which is still midwest.
Are we talking about the Midwest geo by RM? If so, then I designed it based on what information I could find on the tinternet
Illinois Farmer

That's the one I was talking about. I compared it to no creek farms geo for medicine creek, which is in Missouri, and it is very similar to that one. Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the info theseb.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

I should clarify I meant the growth. Reallogger is the weather genius. I won’t sit here and tell you that the growth is super accurate, so if people have concise suggestions how to improve it with logical reasoning, then I am happy to hear it. I used some US agricultural and government sites to find out about the crops and the sowing and harvesting cycles.
Illinois Farmer

I don't have a problem with it. I think it works good. I like it. I'm sure it is hard to create something for certain regions as everywhere can be so different from one another. Irl every year is so different from one another. This spring it snowed in April and last year snowed on Halloween. This summer we had a drought whereas last year was wet.