Seasons difficulty

FarmingBucket

Re: Seasons problems on console

Post by FarmingBucket »

Conman1356 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:54 am
theSeb wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm
dan1109 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm

I've noticed Seasons is VERY wonky on 3 day Seasons, that's why I now play with minimum 9 - just sleep and FF as fast as possible when you have nothing to do.
The only thing that’s wonky is the weather on 3 day seasons.
I've tried literally everything. Even uninstalled all of the mods. No difference. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game and still did the same thing. Can only get seasons to work properly on one single map. Wont even work on the vanilla maps
I'm having the same issues on my Xbox. Ground temp won't change. As well, the day counter in the top right of the screen won't progress. Also the weather icons in the Seasons menu eventually stop showing anything past 2 days. Tried on a few maps. I'm guessing it's a mod conflict. Is there a list of mods incompatible with seasons? All I know is the Straw Harvest. Thanks :)
Illinois Farmer

Re: Seasons difficulty

Post by Illinois Farmer »

How geos do you have installed? Only use 1 at a time.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm How geos do you have installed? Only use 1 at a time.
I've tried without a geo and with a geo and it doesn't make any difference.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

FarmingBucket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 pm
Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:38 pm How geos do you have installed? Only use 1 at a time.
Do me a favour. Create an issue over here https://gitlab.com/realismusmodding/fs1 ... issues/new

Include as much detail as possible on what you've done to create this situation (steps to reproduce). Attach your log file. Zip up your save game and attach it as well. Include the name of the map that you are using with a download link. Include whether you've tried without any mods at all on one of the two base game maps. If you can, record the footage using nvidia shadow thingie or the windows recorder and upload it to YouTube so we can investigate your issue
Guil

Post by Guil »

theSeb wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:20 pm
FarmingBucket wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 pm
Do me a favour. Create an issue over here https://gitlab.com/realismusmodding/fs1 ... issues/new

Include as much detail as possible on what you've done to create this situation (steps to reproduce). Attach your log file. Zip up your save game and attach it as well. Include the name of the map that you are using with a download link. Include whether you've tried without any mods at all on one of the two base game maps. If you can, record the footage using nvidia shadow thingie or the windows recorder and upload it to YouTube so we can investigate your issue
Unfortunately he is on xbox.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Well.... at least a description then and he can shoot a video using his phone and upload it on youtube.
masterplan

Re: Seasons problems on console

Post by masterplan »

theSeb wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:06 am
Edit: So I had a look at the code to remind myself what we are doing here and the only thing I can see that could be related to what you are complaining about is the fact that day in the HUD can go back to 1 in certain situations when changing season length. E.g. when you start you are on the default 9 days per season. Then if you go to day 2, the day will increment but if you change the days in season to 3, you will go back to day 1. This is, as far as I can tell and as far I can remember, is what we intended. If you are only in day 2 of a 9 day season you are still in early spring. If we didn't do the offset and put you back to day 1 when setting 3 day seasons, you would have been catapulted forward to mid spring and your growth would have been messed up

Going back to the weather. Seasons includes sophisticated weather creation algorithms based on real world data. It is very hard to then fit that yearly weather into 12 days because you have to normalise it, hence why things can get weird on 3 day seasons and why we do not recommend playing it like that. Otherwise everything works exactly the same in the mod regardless of how many days you have set your season length to be.
So what you're saying is when I decide to change season length (let's say from 3 to 6), I should do so on day 1 = early spring, right?

What's wrong with a 3 days season? So far I have no issues with such setting, but I only play for a couple of days, 20ish hours of gameplay so far.
If I'm not mistaken, animal consumption is based on an in-game day, right? So if I change season length from 3 to 6, my animals' consumption will double, right?
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
Guil

Post by Guil »

Best time to change season length is in winter because nothing is happening,

Animal feed is calculated for the year so it will be the same over the year whether you use 3 day or 24 day seasons.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Guil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am Best time to change season length is in winter because nothing is happening,

Animal feed is calculated for the year so it will be the same over the year whether you use 3 day or 24 day seasons.
Thanks. :wink3:

I see. But I still will have feed the animals every 2 in-game days, even though with just half the amount of food, right? Or is the trough capacity gonna go from 2-days-worth on a 3 day season to 4-days-worth on a 6 day season? :confusednew:
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

No, you still have to feed your animals every 2 days.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Say for example the animals require 1000L over the year. 3 day season they will need 83.33L per day, 6 day will need 41.66L per day.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

The issue with 3 day seasons is you could have slightly weird weather that may make harvesting your crops and hay drying very tricky. You can change season length at any time. Just don't be surprised to see that your day has changed or gone back to 1 and claim that your "days are not advancing" ;) . It has to change as I explained above
Guil

Post by Guil »

Ah I thought it was best done in winter, is that just the geo then?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Guil wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:43 am Ah I thought it was best done in winter, is that just the geo then?
It's what we told people because we were concerned about what impacts that may have on their weather and so forth and didn't want a barrage of questions/ queries/ complaints especially from new players, so it's good to see that the message sunk in to some at least. Changing season length could mess up your weather for a few days and destroy any hopes you had for harvesting stuff, so yes, it is still best to change the season length in winter.

However, from a purely technical point of view, the mod can handle changing the season length at any day of the season and in any season.
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

theSeb wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:35 am The issue with 3 day seasons is you could have slightly weird weather that may make harvesting your crops and hay drying very tricky. You can change season length at any time. Just don't be surprised to see that your day has changed or gone back to 1 and claim that your "days are not advancing" ;) . It has to change as I explained above
Thanks for the personal support. *thumbsup* I'll stick to 3 days so far as my farm is just beginning and 6 days would mean a lot of time skipping and endless animal feeding, which I feel would be more annoying than enjoyable. At least until my farm grows much bigger or I'll experience some problems (hopefully not).