Mowing vs foraging

squerble

Mowing vs foraging

Post by squerble »

Hi all,

There's one thing I've always wondered, and never been able to find a definitive answer for: what would drive someone to forage and clamp rather than mow and bale? Is it down to equipment preferences? Is it because they don't want to deal with bales?

I'm guessing the answers are going to be very personal! Perhaps a person would prefer to forage and clamp than mow and bale? What would drive someone to use a forager (like the upcoming Claas) with a grass pickup header to collect and clamp rather than run again with a baler? Why that vs. a loading wagon? Is it because the farm already has the forage harvester with the corn/maize header? Is it that a person has saw the clamp on their local farm so decided to do it that way?

Very interested to hear your answers!
Noraf

Re: Mowing vs foraging

Post by Noraf »

Usualy it would be for the volume of silage you need. If you don't need mutch in the way of silage, bales and wrap, medium would be wagons and clamp, while large would be a forrager.

Personally i do like the anderson dlc, and the hybrid
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

It is done to stimulate real life. Chopping the hay with a forager is better fit the gut of cows vs just feeding hay to them. You would feed hay when they are starting out on feed to get them chewing more than switch to hayliage. The game can't stimulate cutting the hay into smaller pieces, but you can stimulate still in gameplay.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

There is also more sugar produced when you put up silage than there is with hay. Especially when you use corn instead of grass. The fermentation of corn to silage produces sugars and protein as parts of the silage mix. Hay does as well but to a lesser degree than corn. Sudan grass also makes good silage.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Out where I live (Washington State, USA), baling is always at a dry moisture, and the baler takes in the whole crop to compress it. Forage harvesting (a.k.a. chopping) is where you take in the whole crop, but at a higher moisture and the harvester processes it and cuts it to be smaller pieces. Then it gets clamped to keep the air out for fermentation, which helps with digestion for the cows.
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
Daytona

Post by Daytona »

This is helpful, thanks :) so for me I guess no baling as I've just started playing and I'm on Marwell and intend for all of my 3 fields of grass to go for biogas and am wondering what equipment to use.
I have a clamp, sides and centre mowers, 2 tractors, 21l trailer, harvester but no other relevant equipment.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

All personal preference. I'm speaking in game, not real life. It depends on what a person is wanting to model in their own game.

I never put up grass in a clamp. I enjoy baling too much. And I love mowing, it's probably my favorite in-game activity. Filling a bunker in single-player can get very tedious very quickly. I only do corn silage in a bunker.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

fenixguy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:18 pm All personal preference. I'm speaking in game, not real life. It depends on what a person is wanting to model in their own game.

I never put up grass in a clamp. I enjoy baling too much. And I love mowing, it's probably my favorite in-game activity. Filling a bunker in single-player can get very tedious very quickly. I only do corn silage in a bunker.
I've only done forage harvesting 3 or 4 times myself between 17 and 19, a few more helping out in mp. Never a big operation, never for the biogas, and once was simply to try out tool height control mod after this last update that fixed it and added more cutter heads. Oh yea and one time was to try out giants Kemper pack mod.

Otherwise I do the same as you. Mow, bale, wrap, feed what I need and sell the rest. Wash, rinse, repeat. A few times I've sold bales at bga just to try it and get a little cash, but generally if I work a field of mine its for myself and the farm. In 19 I did start doing more hay work just to sell for profit but then I stopped playing the game so it didn't get far.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
dan1109

Post by dan1109 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 pm It is done to stimulate real life. Chopping the hay with a forager is better fit the gut of cows vs just feeding hay to them. You would feed hay when they are starting out on feed to get them chewing more than switch to hayliage. The game can't stimulate cutting the hay into smaller pieces, but you can stimulate still in gameplay.
Thanks for the info! I watch 10th Gen Dairyman, and I've always been mystified why he says the FH is "chopping" their hayliage. Its dried, its windrowed nice and neat, and I thought the head on the FH was a pickup head, not a chopper. But I guess it is indeed chopping (and picking up of course), as he says in the videos. But I guess if you run a FH with a pickup head in FS after mowing (Maize Plus Forage Edition will turn whole crop into raw Whole Crops Silage instead of straw, if you mow), then its the best simulation of that.

Its quite quick work for the FH they contract out - they mow, ted, and merge it all themselves, but that last fine chopping part, and the pickup is best done I guess with a FH due to that chopping requirement, which they don't have (same with Harvesting for grains for their cows, they don't have a harvester, but do the rest of the farming themselves, along with lower yield no-till planting)