How do I feed animals efficiently with Maize Plus feed

kahfs

How do I feed animals efficiently with Maize Plus feed

Post by kahfs »

Hi there. I like the mod Maize Plus and its extension a lot and use it on the maps I play. However, it takes a very long time to bring all the different feed components to the trough if you have both cows, pigs, sheeps and goats. I do not want an automatic feed system, so is there something in between? I'm using a feed mixer for cows, and would also like to have something similar for pigs. Does that exist? I'm also wondering why the feed mixer for cows are taking a different mix of feed than when you feed them the feed one-by-one. I know the feed mixer is designed to make TMR, but why should the ingeredients for TMR be different from what you feed one feed type at a time? PS. I did try out a yelllow feed mixer. The xml files suggests that it can make a feed mix for pigs, but when I try, it will not accept grain feed. How can I switch to MixType2?

Even if you cannot answer these questions, let us know how you feed your animals when using Maize Plus.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Mellek

Re: How do I feed animals efficiently with Maize Plus feed

Post by Mellek »

I currently feed my cows WCS silage, hay and fresh grass (having Maize Plus and Maize Plus forage extention, but not a Maize Plus ready map, so no additional crops)
Although it makes no difference in feeding, I'm planning to switch to maize silage once I got the WCS silos empty.

For feeding I use the Strautmann VM1702 for silage and mow fresh grass every morning which I collect with a forage wagon.
Hay is all in bales, which I either make myself or buy from the shop.
Playing in realtime (no seasons) for me this is just the perfect level of realism I prefer, and with around 175 cows all nicely manageable and fun :-)
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Are you also using the forage extension mod along with maize plus?

https://youtu.be/ymsOqvZyFYc
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

norfolk farmer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:06 pm Are you also using the forage extension mod along with maize plus?

Thanks. Yes I have seen those videos. Great overview. And yes I use the Forage Extension with MaizePlus.
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

This Pigfeeder works with Maize Plus & extension.

https://ls-modcompany.com/filebase/file ... 2#overview
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

kahfs wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:06 am
norfolk farmer wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:06 pm Are you also using the forage extension mod along with maize plus?

Thanks. Yes I have seen those videos. Great overview. And yes I use the Forage Extension with MaizePlus.
I think the reason the mixer wagons now behave differently is they were looking to add a bit more into looking after the animals. I make my tmr using a mix of silage (maize,grass or wholecrop) straw,barley and sugarbeet. When i feed it it it fills all the bars up other than hay which i feed separately.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:51 am

I think the reason the mixer wagons now behave differently is they were looking to add a bit more into looking after the animals. I make my tmr using a mix of silage (maize,grass or wholecrop) straw,barley and sugarbeet. When i feed it it it fills all the bars up other than hay which i feed separately.
Yes. I took a look at the MaizePlus script. The mixer wagons are now controlled by MaizePlus. Since MaizePlus only defines a mixer wagon feed mix for cows, the mixer wagons originally extended to also serve pigs will no longer do that. Maybe I read the script wrong, but it could explain why I cannot get the Siloking Multi Mixer Wagon (the yellow mixer wagon) to make a feed mix for pigs when using MaizePlus.
TobiHH

Post by TobiHH »

If I`m not wrong there is an animalfood.xml in the MaizePlus Forage Extension mod.
You can edit this file with a text editor and change the ingredients and also the percentage of each ingredient how you like to.
There you can also change the composition of the mixer wagons.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

TobiHH wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:04 pm If I`m not wrong there is an animalfood.xml in the MaizePlus Forage Extension mod.
You can edit this file with a text editor and change the ingredients and also the percentage of each ingredient how you like to.
There you can also change the composition of the mixer wagons.
I believe you are correct on that as I remember The Alien Paul saying that people could customise it to how they want it to be.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

kahfs wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:58 pm
norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:51 am

Yes. I took a look at the MaizePlus script. The mixer wagons are now controlled by MaizePlus. Since MaizePlus only defines a mixer wagon feed mix for cows, the mixer wagons originally extended to also serve pigs will no longer do that. Maybe I read the script wrong, but it could explain why I cannot get the Siloking Multi Mixer Wagon (the yellow mixer wagon) to make a feed mix for pigs when using MaizePlus.
For pigs I use one of the placeable mixers, I did alter the xml so it accepts the ccm and canola as part of the mix.
FarmCatJenkins

Post by FarmCatJenkins »

kahfs wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:09 am PS. I did try out a yelllow feed mixer. The xml files suggests that it can make a feed mix for pigs, but when I try, it will not accept grain feed. How can I switch to MixType2?
Are you using the correct feed mixer? There are two on the Modhub. One for the MaizePlus extension and one for not using it.
Farmer since birth. Simulated since ‘15

Xbox: Hodge A Palooza
Steam: FarmCat Jenkins
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

FarmCatJenkins wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:51 pm
kahfs wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:09 am PS. I did try out a yelllow feed mixer. The xml files suggests that it can make a feed mix for pigs, but when I try, it will not accept grain feed. How can I switch to MixType2?
Are you using the correct feed mixer? There are two on the Modhub. One for the MaizePlus extension and one for not using it.
Aha! Maybe not. I will take a look.