Hilly maps

ThatCanadianGuy

Re: Hilly maps

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Kornau
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
Honkyfarmer

Post by Honkyfarmer »

Urinal2001 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 pm
Osina is almost an answer to everything.
But... but... 'Murrcah!

Genuinely though, is there a reason some people refuse to use maps/equipment that arent American? Sure, maybe the roads are a little narrower and might take the tiniest thought to navigate, but fields are fields, surely? Cant imagine there is any type of climate or landscape that America doesnt have somewhere, so seems those people would have more options if they just pretended they were in America and got on with it maybe.
Maybe if I was a normal even tempered human.....which I'm not lol
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Urinal2001 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 pm
But... but... 'Murrcah!

Genuinely though, is there a reason some people refuse to use maps/equipment that arent American? Sure, maybe the roads are a little narrower and might take the tiniest thought to navigate, but fields are fields, surely? Cant imagine there is any type of climate or landscape that America doesnt have somewhere, so seems those people would have more options if they just pretended they were in America and got on with it maybe.
Many places in the Midwest have individual fields bigger than the standard map. We farm between half and a quarter of a standard map and I have a second job because it’s more of a hobby than anything. So when you squish a bunch of fields into that area it does feel a touch claustrophobic.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Urinal2001 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 pm But... but... 'Murrcah!

It is what you are used to. It is about the immersion. Those ugly white and red warnings signs ruin that. It is similar reasons why European players don't like the square, flat, and openness that american maps have. I fit one cant stand how narrow the roads and think there are too many trees blocking the view on the road.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 pm
Urinal2001 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 pm But... but... 'Murrcah!

It is what you are used to. It is about the immersion. Those ugly white and red warnings signs ruin that. It is similar reasons why European players don't like the square, flat, and openness that american maps have. I fit one cant stand how narrow the roads and think there are too many trees blocking the view on the road.
That does seem to explain why any new map seems to be greeted with "How do I cut down the trees?" :)

I had a hard time playing Lone Oak, because my instinct was to plough ... plow, sorry ... the middle ground and then work the headlands right up to the hedge line, oh, no hedges ... right up to the edge of the field and work my headlands on the field, but it seems to me that the USA way would be to work what I call the middle ground and turn on the grass margins. As for the red and white markers ... hmm, not as ugly as those axle stubs sticking out, unguarded, ready to take the side off any passing traffic!

But seriously ... things like the marker boards and the wheel arrangements were supposed to be dealt with in the shop: You go to buy your 8R or whatever, and then you choose if you want EU, UK, Australian or even USA features, maybe even mix and match?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

RunlikeaDeere wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:54 pm
chedly_farms wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:15 am I hate doing this, but Osina is very hilly on the left side of the map.

Chedly I finally downloaded Osina. It is a very nice and beautiful map, Id have to agree with Honky, if it had American roads, I'd playa lot more of it. The only other thing I didnt like is a lot of the invisible walls. Hopefully I can make this map very open ala Lone Oak. Other than that, I see why you love it. It's a beautiful map.

(snips)
I can't get on with the glass walls: I went for a drive round, my usual habit on a new map, dodging the traffic going into town then -- wham! It took me a while to realise what was going on, but when I realised what it was, it did diminish my enthusiasm for the map.

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:28 am
but it seems to me that the USA way would be to work what I call the middle ground and turn on the grass margins.

Nah, you would plow under the hedges the ditch and the road if it’s minimum maintenance and farm em all
blue_painted wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:28 am
As for the red and white markers ... hmm, not as ugly as those axle stubs sticking out, unguarded, ready to take the side off any passing traffic!
GASP! Take it back they’re a thing of beauty
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Have any of you looked at the proposed map area in Google earth, parts of it make an alpine map seem rather flat
@blue_painted
I can't get on with the glass walls:
I take it you mean the invisible walls (border collisions), its interesting to hear/see the different views people have of them for instance some like the tree line that sometimes denote the map edge others don't,
On the MNMF map I could have seamlessly blended the whole border into the map fields/roads etc so there was nothing to show phsyically where the map finished and the border started, but after seeing some comments about another map I decided to have a mound going round the whole map to sort of show where the edge is, except for where roads joined and then there were more complaints about invisible walls.
Same sort of thing with the Lowry main road system with its invisible walls to stop you going on the sections that are not part of the playing area, the dirt roads on the border, they are that shape to dissuade you from going off route.

It would be interesting to have a poll of what people prefer/would like regarding the border area, seamless blending so there is no physical guide or physical /objects/markers or even a combination of both.
bossmanslim

Post by bossmanslim »

How hilly do you want? Do you just want enough roll in the terrain (The Old Valley) to not be flat as a pancake or do you want it to have actual hills (Smokey Mountains)?
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

My favourite is Campaign of France
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

There's a partially visible wall with "no entry" symbols that appears when you get close, rather like ETS. It doesn't distract when you aren't close to the borders but is there so you don't crash into something you couldn't see.

RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm Have any of you looked at the proposed map area in Google earth, parts of it make an alpine map seem rather flat
@blue_painted
I can't get on with the glass walls:
I take it you mean the invisible walls (border collisions), its interesting to hear/see the different views people have of them for instance some like the tree line that sometimes denote the map edge others don't,
On the MNMF map I could have seamlessly blended the whole border into the map fields/roads etc so there was nothing to show phsyically where the map finished and the border started, but after seeing some comments about another map I decided to have a mound going round the whole map to sort of show where the edge is, except for where roads joined and then there were more complaints about invisible walls.
Same sort of thing with the Lowry main road system with its invisible walls to stop you going on the sections that are not part of the playing area, the dirt roads on the border, they are that shape to dissuade you from going off route.

It would be interesting to have a poll of what people prefer/would like regarding the border area, seamless blending so there is no physical guide or physical /objects/markers or even a combination of both.
I checked out Millennial again, I still have it downloaded. At first when I tried to drive to the shop I was like WTF??? After seeing what you did with the borders, now I think what you did was awesome.
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

bossmanslim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:43 pm How hilly do you want? Do you just want enough roll in the terrain (The Old Valley) to not be flat as a pancake or do you want it to have actual hills (Smokey Mountains)?
I haven't got the PC version to check out the Smoky Mountains. Yeah this area is really hilly, it's Stone City, Iowa:

TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

@blue_painted

There's a partially visible wall with "no entry" symbols that appears when you get close, rather like ETS. It doesn't distract when you aren't close to the borders but is there so you don't crash into something you couldn't see.
I'd forgotton about that method in ETS, would be easy to implement in a map just an added texture (or even object) with a low clip distance (2m or less), though I think that a variety of warnings, walls/fences/tree line/no entry sign etc, would be a better idea which then could be used in suitable area's of a map.
Something to experiment with and consider for any future updates for the MFMN map (both PC and Console version currently ready for submission)
Alcarin75

Post by Alcarin75 »

TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm
@blue_painted
the MFMN map (both PC and Console version currently ready for submission)
Wow. Big news!!!!!
I like to learn from everyone.
PS4 Player
Griffin Indiana Best Map
RunlikeaDeere

Post by RunlikeaDeere »

Alcarin75 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 pm
TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm
@blue_painted
the MFMN map (both PC and Console version currently ready for submission)
Wow. Big news!!!!!
Uh....yeah!!!