Modhub freezing (console)

theSeb

Re: Modhub freezing (console)

Post by theSeb »

Guil wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 pm So is it a game problem or a spec problem?
Game problem. Does not matter how much free memory you have
Guil

Post by Guil »

Interesting, thanks. I've seen that garbage collection in logs in the past and had no idea what it was about
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

redglasses wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:14 pm Ya it’s strange. And it happens every time, if I scroll far over to uninstall an old mod I can always count on it “hanging up” when I try to go back. Scrolling between the modhub pages is also slow.
That is exactly what I had been doing, I was downloading some old buildings that was near to the end of the menu, and they took ages to get back to the selection page, but the map I downloaded was right at the front, and got back to the selection page instantly.

I guess Giants never thought that the menu would ever get this big as normally they would have had a new game out by now!
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

theSeb wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:54 pm
Guil wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 pm So is it a game problem or a spec problem?
Game problem. Does not matter how much free memory you have
Well thanks for your input. I'm guessing the issue for pc is the same for consoles. I wish giants would respond and maybe have a fix through an update or at least for future games I hope.
Vondeylen Farms Ohio, U.S.
1000 acres, family farm, huge Case IH guy(however mostly John Deere now)

Platform-PS5
Welker Farms over 1000hrs
Onto FS22!
Large JD Farm with corn and soybeans always looking for multiplayer
https://www.youtube.com/user/vondeylen22
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Maybe with the new dlc coming out they will update the game and fix this. We can only hope they see this.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Today is worse than ever before! I sat on the screen for 10min before it finally went back to the category screen...

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

vondeylenfarms wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 pm Today is worse than ever before! I sat on the screen for 10min before it finally went back to the category screen...
How often do you reboot the game? Mine freezes but never for more than 15-ish seconds. I reboot the game at least every two or three days if I've played a lot.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

fenixguy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 pm
vondeylenfarms wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 pm Today is worse than ever before! I sat on the screen for 10min before it finally went back to the category screen...
How often do you reboot the game? Mine freezes but never for more than 15-ish seconds. I reboot the game at least every two or three days if I've played a lot.
I exit the game daily if I play it...so very often I do. The more I scroll, open and close categories, the worse it gets

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

Like actually quit the app and reload it, not just quit and reload the map? :shock:

Dang... I'd probably throw the controller through the window.
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

Yep...I quit the whole game and shut my PS4 down as I play every other day because of work...it's beyond frustrating! Worse is giants won't even return my email from last month about it!

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
CowsGoMoo

Post by CowsGoMoo »

You guys make it sound like you just let your ps4 sit there with fs running even if you're not at home.
Let's get some cows!
FS17 a few hundred hours on pc, 920 ps4
FS19 2660 hrs ps4/ps5
FS 22 [ps5] 1070 hrs [pc] 60 hrs
vondeylenfarms

Post by vondeylenfarms »

CowsGoMoo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:22 am You guys make it sound like you just let your ps4 sit there with fs running even if you're not at home.
I bet some people do...I do not. I never leave it on unless it's downloading

Platform-PS5
Onto FS22!
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I leave my Xbox in fast startup mode. When I stop playing FS, I save, hit the home screen, and then shut down the Xbox. When I fire it back up, I click on FS and I pick up right where I left off. No loading. About once a week, I completely quit the game so it has to do a fresh boot-up. I've been doing this since FS17. I do the same thing with other long-load-time games.

Now, when my modhub is very slow, I can do a quit and re-boot and it is much faster. That's why I suggested that. I've still never had to wait more than 10 or 15 seconds on the modhub though.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Guil wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:21 pm Interesting, thanks. I've seen that garbage collection in logs in the past and had no idea what it was about
I am normally highly critical of PC players who post rants about "consoles ruining PC gaming" (you get them in every cross platform game, not just FS) and like to find out why they believe this, but, if you read those log messages, then you will see that in this one case consoles are indeed ruining it for everyone :D
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Well maybe the game update coming on November 10th might possibly have some fixes for the ModHub and it's memory/garbage collection issues, though most likely it'll just be adding support for Alpine DLC releasing two days later.

As for Cross Development, it's sadly always going to happen as financially for developers it is better to design your game around the lowest hardware system, and then know when you port it to better platforms it'll work. Problem is with these Console Generations lasting a Decade, and with the fact Console Hardware is already massively outdated when they are launched and go to sale (due to when research and development started on the consoles and when they had to go into production), after a couple of years it does ruin the experience of the PC players having their games clearly built for Consoles first and not with them and their hardware in mind. It wouldn't be so bad if midway through a Console Generation, developers started to realise how outdated the consoles are, and after making their game, set aside some time before release maybe a month or two where they focus on the PC version and "Upgrading" it to take actual advantage of the current hardware available to players. It would be nice to get games on PC that can fully use all your CPU's available cores and threads, all your excess and available RAM and fully utilise the capacity of your GPU.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*