Mods In Testing - Fan Discussion

BoxTunnel

Re: Mods In Testing - Fan Discussion

Post by BoxTunnel »

What is a jake break? Youtubed it and am still none the wiser. In one short and easy to understand sentence please...
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

BoxTunnel wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:59 am What is a jake break? Youtubed it and am still none the wiser. In one short and easy to understand sentence please...
Usually it’s in a semi truck Diesel engine. When you let off the accelerator it a mechanism that allows the gasses to escape the cylinder slowing the engine down. It in turn creates the most magnificent sound created by man.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Kamoore65536

Post by Kamoore65536 »

@BoxTunnel: a Jake brake or as it is properly known a Jacobs Engine Brake is an engine compression brake that uses the natural compression of a Diesel engine and turns it into a retarder by not allowing the exhaust valves to fully open when there is no fuel going into the cylinders. The air that comes into the engine during the compression stroke is not allowed free movement out the exhaust valves creating a retarding effect by not letting the air to leave the cylinder. Jacobs brakes work off the valves. There used to be a Williams exhaust brake that had a valve in the exhaust pipe that closed and did almost the same thing. The Williams brake was not as good the Jacobs brake but it could be used on Diesel engines that had pre combustion chambers.
Playing on a PS4 & PS4 Pro.
Added a PC at Christmas time.
i7-7700 quad core 3.6GHz(4.2GHz Turbo)
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
120 GB SATA solid State Drive
1TB SATA III hard Drive
Added a 4K TV
Added a PS5.
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

As a trucker, I'll tell you what it is, it's a great way to get down a long grade and save your brakes. Throttle up to about 1,700 to 2,100 RPM's and put that thing on max. In my work truck (Freightliner Cascadia w/a Detroit DD15 with an Eaton 12 speed auto trans) I manually drop it down into 10th and light em off and fully loaded I'll stay at about 55 MPH going down.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Ritchie

Post by Ritchie »

Honkyfarmer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:10 am What Bryan is posting is true. I can never see mods that are console specific. On the in game modhub are they Lizard brand or West? I cant see them in the modhub just scrolling thru the Mods either. I'm not sure how Ritchie finds the link that he posted but I see what he sent and can view, just cant find on my own so I wait for verification from the fine folks on this site. It's a blessing most times but I'm highly jealous when someone posts something is out and using but gets pulled before I get home. Luckily that's very rare lol
I just selected Category/trailers then scrolled down the list until I found them. Best just to check the in-game Modhub for new console mods that day tbh.
raran

Post by raran »

Kamoore65536 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:57 am @BoxTunnel: a Jake brake or as it is properly known a Jacobs Engine Brake is an engine compression brake that uses the natural compression of a Diesel engine and turns it into a retarder by not allowing the exhaust valves to fully open when there is no fuel going into the cylinders. The air that comes into the engine during the compression stroke is not allowed free movement out the exhaust valves creating a retarding effect by not letting the air to leave the cylinder. Jacobs brakes work off the valves. There used to be a Williams exhaust brake that had a valve in the exhaust pipe that closed and did almost the same thing. The Williams brake was not as good the Jacobs brake but it could be used on Diesel engines that had pre combustion chambers.
Those williams types brakes were also great for creating huge plumes of smoke when driving off at the traffic lights. :coolnew:
eric21

Post by eric21 »

That road runner has to be one of the best, if not the best truck ingame. All I need know is a modern self propelled swather, everything else is a bonus
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

BoxTunnel wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:59 am What is a jake break? Youtubed it and am still none the wiser. In one short and easy to understand sentence please...
Webster’s dictionary describes loud Jake brakes as follows
1. the inability for a person usually male to reach maturity and move past their high school years of loud exhaust on pickup trucks
2. A call to lot lizards that a potential customer is entering the truck stop
See also; Loud Harley Davidson motorcycles
Honkyfarmer

Post by Honkyfarmer »

Mwal wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Webster’s dictionary describes loud Jake brakes as follows
1. the inability for a person usually male to reach maturity and move past their high school years of loud exhaust on pickup trucks
2. A call to lot lizards that a potential customer is entering the truck stop
See also; Loud Harley Davidson motorcycles
Somebody is really bothered by loud exhaust lol
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

There’s a line. Nothing wrong with a little rumble but at some point it went from sounding nice to a competition of who can be the most obnoxiously loud. Now every town you drive through has a no engine braking in city limits sign out in front of their vehicle noise law enforced sign.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

All the Road Runner needs now to achieve mod perfection is a day cab option and get rid of that horrid backup beep.

Heck, I am completely entertained just cranking up and shutting off the engine over and over. Best sounding engine in the game.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

JCB Workmax 800D
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Over here more commonly known as an exhaust brake.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

norfolk farmer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:34 pm Over here more commonly known as an exhaust brake.
Totally different things.

A jake is integral to the engine and can't (without extreme modifications) be added later. It manipulates the valve timing and uses the engine's compression for braking. Thus, you can use almost all of the engine's horsepower for slowing down.

An exhaust brake is a valve in the exhaust that creates backpressure for braking. It's not nearly as efficient as a jake but can be added to any diesel (maybe gas too?) engine. Some people even put them on pickups in the US.

And, of course, the major difference for the purposes of FS19 is a jake brake sounds amazing and an exhaust brake sounds like clogged sinuses. :lol:
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I stand corrected *thumbsup*