What to do in Winter

krateros

What to do in Winter

Post by krateros »

Hello! How do you spent your time you guys during winter? I have washed and repaired all my property and there are no contracts to do except some transport mission which i don't like. Only thing i can do is just put the clock on 120x and wait...
Mwal

Re: What to do in Winter

Post by Mwal »

Feed animals, remove unwanted trees or tree rows, haul crops in to sell, I store around 1500 bales of straw on the edge of fields I won’t use so I haul those off over the winter when the price is high. I figure out my seed and fertilizer and haul that so I’m ready for spring. Besides that just maintenance and hooking up equipment that I will be using in spring like my drills and filling them
Bryan83

Post by Bryan83 »

Like you said, I do maintenance and cleaning. I'll also spend a 2-3 days hauling crops to market, do some equipment trading, go through the switching order on my machines and make any changes I want, plow snow as needed, tend to my chickens, take a look at my crop rotation plan and make sure it's still good, and if I get bored, rent some equipment and do a little forestry. Towards the end of winter, I'll start "ordering" and hauling in seed and fertilizer. It's busy work but if I schedule it right I can usually make it last 7 or 8 days on 9 day seasons.
Last edited by Bryan83 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us on the FS Community Trader. As featured on MrSealyP's Lukahs Island let's play.

Please forgive me, I am but a lowly console player (XB1)
Florish

Post by Florish »

What i do is next to allready mentioned things, activate my "palletizer" factory. in summer i store bales in a shed next to the factory, than in winter i will shred the bales with the krone thing and then make pallets which i store or sell inmediately. Perfect for winter time !! (PS4)
Digital farmer from the Netherlands
- FS17/19 on PS4
- FS22 on PS5
BostonJohnny1226

Post by BostonJohnny1226 »

You can always just stand and admire your FS17 dvd case, that is IF you have the mod!
It's such the rage right now, all the cool kids have it, you do want to be cool right?
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

Use this mod, run at 480x time speed, and have an adult beverage. :-)

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm Use this mod, run at 480x time speed, and have an adult beverage. :-)

+1 *thumbsup* :biggrin2:
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
raran

Post by raran »

ThatCanadianGuy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm Use this mod, run at 480x time speed, and have an adult beverage. :-)

Generally a bad idea when running seasons.
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Its totally safe, i even use 6000x timescale and nothing gets out of sync...and ive been playing Seasons since release.
Spunky_Dogg

Post by Spunky_Dogg »

For me, winter is logging season. It's also time to purchase the seeds/fertilizer/lime I need for the year ahead and also do some plotting for crops. My fields are cultivated shortly after harvest, so I lime my fields in winter. This year, I did some fencing and carved out room for another field. For me, there's a little bit of a lull after the crops are planted in the spring, but I find ways to keep myself busy.
See you up the road!

- Spunky Dogg Logging
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

sell crops, I personally take a lot time in cow pasture, get silage bales from the fields from far, feeding, selling/changing equipment, little logging in the forests area maybe and transport the firewood to the farm etc. So many options and lot to do in the farm allways and FS is easy compared to real farming. Landcape tool also gives you something to do ;)

Use your imagination and I'm sure you will find lot to do.
GBFarms

Post by GBFarms »

I shovel snow... Literally with the shovel and bucket mods.
Xbox one.
Instagram: GBFarms_FS19
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

On my dads farm we would spend the winter sorting potatoes and selling them. At the end of winter the increasing shortage of potatoes would increase the price and my dad would try and keep the potatoes in storage for as long as possible. This meant the family would have to sort the same potatoes multiple times to reduce spoilage by removing rotten ones. When my brother and I were 10 and 13 we hated that.
Now, as an ArmChairFarmer, I like to wash and sort potatoes in FS19. You can also cook potatoes. In the game, processed crops have a higher sell price. I think you can find similar mods for processing sugarbeets.

I would like to see similar mods for processing carrots and onions. I would also like to see more advanced root crop storage facilitites with temperature and moisture control, realistic conveyor belts and a loss factor for rotting crops and handling damage.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
ThatCanadianGuy

Post by ThatCanadianGuy »

raran wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Generally a bad idea when running seasons.
Nope perfectly safe. I just slow down to 60 at the end of every season block to let the game sync up again. Been doing it since I started using both mods since FS17
Former real life farmer of lentils, mustard, and wheat on the Canadian prairies.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

I'm just gonna say the Illinois geo (for Stone Valley) is one of the best for winter activities. The crop prices usually peak around winter for me. It snows a ton every day. So it usually takes half a day (on 5x) to clear the yard to get the trucks filled. On top of all that, the ground hardly ever freezes so I can do my subsoiling in the winter too.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!