Oxygendavid

Luftkopf

Re: Oxygendavid

Post by Luftkopf »

This is starting to remind me of EvE Online. Die hard fans of EvE have been saying it’s dying, and only has a year left before everyone has quit for, what, ten years now?
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

theSeb wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 pm I am not a giants employee.
VMD100 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:07 pm I'm sure I'm not the only one who smells BS with a giants employee making out everything will be fine

Will the franchise crash? absolutely no
Will player numbers drop? probably not
But look at the growing numbers playing candy crush or making tiktoks - it doesn't mean it isn't trash
Logic...
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
VMD100

Post by VMD100 »

DEERE317 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 pm
VMD100 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:07 pm I'm sure I'm not the only one who smells BS with a giants employee making out everything will be fine

But look at the growing numbers playing candy crush or making tiktoks - it doesn't mean it isn't trash
Logic...
Someone who financially benefits from GIANTS is hardly likely to call them out on their frankly appalling behaviour

I hear crops and cattle is coming along nicely though
Guil

Post by Guil »

VMD100 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 pm

Have you played it or just throwing a childish dig? Still early days (after how many years?) but it is a long, long way from FS
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

And its trying to appeal to the realism fans, which is why FS is so successful, basic enough anyone can play yet easily modded to realism.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

VMD100 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:10 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Logic...
Someone who financially benefits from GIANTS is hardly likely to call them out on their frankly appalling behaviour

Last I checked its their hobby not a job...
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

DEERE317 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm Most of the player base who isn’t into the community and only play for a short while will buy the next game because “ooh, shiny new game and fancy new machines” and also FS19 is much better in a lot of ways, like the place able system (minus some not being able to place problems) and landscaping are leaps ahead of 15 and 17. The game engine IMO is much more fluid than 15/17 and handled detail better by default. (I do play with seasons so colors change, but how it renders detail and reflects light isn’t changed.
You must be joking, The placeable system was garbage, you literally had to buy a new field to get anything to place, it was the modders that had to sort that mess out.

The contrast was another joke, as soon as you passed a line of trees you were immediately plunged into thick black darkness.

All the landscaping did, was to let you higher and lower the ground without having to use the editor the painting side was already covered by mods in FS15 & FS17.

As for the sky, It resembled Minecraft more than it did FS19. We had to wait for Oxy to sort that particular pile of manure out.
And that's another thing, the sky that Oxygendavid gave us was a thousand times better than what Giants could ever dream of producing.
Farmer_Blue

Post by Farmer_Blue »

I find it absolutely incredible that Giants appears to have gone to war with one of the best modder's out there for their product but I accept I'm basing that only on what's being presented and so perhaps "war" is too strong.

However, there's a strong argument to be made that Oxy and his ilk have done more for the longevity of this franchise than anything being developed on the base game has truly done in the last two iterations. While the base game is decent, it's not exceptional and certainly not leaps ahead, in terms of core gameplay elements or physics, from FS17 to FS19. In many ways, it just amounts to a bit more gloss. The real game-changers come from a truly wonderful modding community and the ever-growing list of Youtuber's that keep the game prominent. Believe me, a quick survey of those content providers shows just how valuable the modding community really is to the long term popularity of the franchise.

I find it astonishing that senior management at Giants would not grasp this fact. I suspect they are simply not aware of it. In fact, it can be the only real explanation for it and is illustrated precisely by their seemingly total lack of community awareness and engagement.

I follow so many smaller independent game developers, many just one-man bands, and Giants could really learn from them. Perhaps, and very likely, unlike the passionate independents, they are making lots of money and can afford to be lazy and complacent. If true, that's a very dangerous long term strategy to adopt.

The answer for Giants is really staring them in the face but they appear totally blind to it. Rather than picking unnecessary fights with the very people that aspire, through a pure passion to excel at their craft - harness that passion - Hire a core of those modders and make your product the best it can be.
Vfarms

Post by Vfarms »

Not naming names but I think there's already a map maker here that is at least equal to oxygendavid.

Just my opinion though.
This is the most fun you're ever gonna have

Xbox series x
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

j_maybury wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 pm
DEERE317 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm Most of the player base who isn’t into the community and only play for a short while will buy the next game because “ooh, shiny new game and fancy new machines” and also FS19 is much better in a lot of ways, like the place able system (minus some not being able to place problems) and landscaping are leaps ahead of 15 and 17. The game engine IMO is much more fluid than 15/17 and handled detail better by default. (I do play with seasons so colors change, but how it renders detail and reflects light isn’t changed.
You must be joking, The placeable system was garbage, you literally had to buy a new field to get anything to place, it was the modders that had to sort that mess out.

The contrast was another joke, as soon as you passed a line of trees you were immediately plunged into thick black darkness.

All the landscaping did, was to let you higher and lower the ground without having to use the editor the painting side was already covered by mods in FS15 & FS17.

As for the sky, It resembled Minecraft more than it did FS19. We had to wait for Oxy to sort that particular pile of manure out.
And that's another thing, the sky that Oxygendavid gave us was a thousand times better than what Giants could ever dream of producing.
I never claimed the sky was any good.
The landscaping tool and place able stuff is better than 15/17, in that you can actually make stuff look decent, there’s a reason maps used to have flattened and painted peaceable areas and also a reason I never used peaceable beyond power washers in 15.
The colors and contrast in the game aren’t great but how it handles shapes and shadows is good.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

DEERE317 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 am
The landscaping tool and place able stuff is better than 15/17, in that you can actually make stuff look decent,
Not if you used the editor, you can do anything you like in the editor to a far better standard with that.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

And editor has a much higher skill level and is impossible to use on consoles.
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Vfarms wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am Not naming names but I think there's already a map maker here that is at least equal to oxygendavid.

Just my opinion though.
Well, what ever you do, don't tell giants who it is.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

j_maybury wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:48 am
Vfarms wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am Not naming names but I think there's already a map maker here that is at least equal to oxygendavid.

Just my opinion though.
Well, what ever you do, don't tell giants who it is.
They know, it’s BulletBill. And he’s somewhere around here.
redbull-man82

Post by redbull-man82 »

Bulletbill was banned off here