Does Anyone Still Use Plows?

Mwal

Re: Does Anyone Still Use Plows?

Post by Mwal »

Aggie24 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 pm It’s funny how different regions call implements different names. Where I’m from, a chisel plow is really like a v shank ripper to other people. I haven’t seen a moldboard plow used in over twenty years.
Yeah I have noticed a lot of things we call boxes like silage box or gravity box lots of people here call wagons
Aggie24

Post by Aggie24 »

Around here it’s mostly gone to no-till or strip till. We don’t have too worry much about the cold wet ground in the spring you guys up north have. We worry more about saving moisture.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

In game I look at what needs accomplished and go from there.
Chopping up tillage radishes while not destroying ground cover: High Speed Disc, Will chop residue, but not nearly as heavy as a convetional disc and heavier than VT.
Pulling compaction up in a cornfield: Inline ripper, doesn't disturb the ground much, pulls compaction out.
Mixing in manure and/or lime: High Speed Disc or International 490 conventional disc. Mixing soil and addiments together while not nearly as intensive as plowing.
Breaking up grass after plowing/ripping: IH 490, chops up clods of grass and levels field.
Sizing crop residue while fighting compaction: VT, leaves ground cover mostly intact, helps break compaction and pin residue to surface,
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm
Aggie24 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:54 pm It’s funny how different regions call implements different names. Where I’m from, a chisel plow is really like a v shank ripper to other people. I haven’t seen a moldboard plow used in over twenty years.
Yeah I have noticed a lot of things we call boxes like silage box or gravity box lots of people here call wagons
Here its gravity wagons, The word wagon on its own usually are the barge wagons or hay wagons, and silage is nearly non-existent.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

Yeah that’s what I mean it’s wagon instead of box and hay wagons are hay racks from the days of small squares
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mwal wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:27 pm Yeah that’s what I mean it’s wagon instead of box and hay wagons are hay racks from the days of small squares
Now we have called hay wagons rack wagons pretty inter-changeably.
ValhallSN95

Post by ValhallSN95 »

The farmer that leases my granddads place still uses moldboard plows, he'll run 4 bottoms with his older tractors in the early spring every other year.

I still used them on FS, I grew up running a 3 bottom, so its just part of it for me.

We always have called them breaking plows.
Chris Birdsong Wolfforth, TX
Grew up running a 4430 on my granddads farm

Xbox Series X / Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S
FS22 6,460hrs FS19 10,965hrs PF18 12hrs
FS17 7,910hrs FS15 7,620hrs FS13 7,877hrs
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Mwal wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:27 pm Yeah that’s what I mean it’s wagon instead of box and hay wagons are hay racks from the days of small squares
We say hay racks and wagons for the corn and soybeans and chopper wagons.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
dogwalker1

Post by dogwalker1 »

Wow, I didn't realize this thread would turn into such a wealth of insight, and so quickly... thanks to everyone! Obviously there is no one size fits all answer to the question, not even close. Guess I shouldn't worry too much about how I go about it in game - it's probably done that way somewhere, sort of.
ValhallSN95

Post by ValhallSN95 »

dogwalker1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:29 pm Guess I shouldn't worry too much about how I go about it in game - it's probably done that way somewhere, sort of.
The way I play is the way I grew up doing it. No it may not be the most cost effective way to go about it, or the most productive way either, but its how I was raised.

There is no wrong or right to this game, play it your way and enjoy it.
Chris Birdsong Wolfforth, TX
Grew up running a 4430 on my granddads farm

Xbox Series X / Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S
FS22 6,460hrs FS19 10,965hrs PF18 12hrs
FS17 7,910hrs FS15 7,620hrs FS13 7,877hrs
dapals51

Post by dapals51 »

It's all Chisel plows and disk rippers here, some guys have subsoilers but they're expense to pull through the field for not much of a return, usually only run over highly traffic areas of a field. Most have plows yes but they haven't been moved in 20 years. Chisels and Rippers are more efficient. Also to add with a plow you can get what's called a dead furrow, (air pocket) which can lead to poor seed placement. In game I use rippers and chisel.
XBOX one player
Farmer in the midwest USA

MOD HUB OR DIE!!
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Of course and here in Scandinavia plowing is common still because hard winters also. Plowing in fall will is important because ground is frozen and plowing will help the field to resume moist, block weeds etc. towards next season.
ED209v2

Post by ED209v2 »

Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm Everyone uses chisel plow around here. Irl you can create a field with it or even a disc of you hit it a couple of times. ( :this: )
Unless you're in rough cattle pasture that can take 6-8 passes with chisel plow and disc (true story lol), a chisel (AKA subsoiler) can do the job just fine, and if the ground isn't too clumpy or grassy, you could plant right over it
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

I wonder how often they have to replace that tire.