Console and Giants.

Ravenblade86

Re: Console and Giants.

Post by Ravenblade86 »

Mobias wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:54 pm
They Caged Non wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:44 pm Now just to find one so I can buy it lol, they are like Lord Lucan at present.
I guess thats the big issue for Giants. The fact of the matter is they're potentially releasing a game that now relies on a lot of console sales onto a platform that doesn't have a big install base. Out of interest I wonder how many people here would rush out to buy a new gen console if Giants announced it wasn't coming out on the older ones.
I'd have to go searching for the article but at the moment it looks like the PS5 alone is on course to have sold 8 million consoles by the end of March and from the little tiny bit that Chaki gave away on the Farm Sim Show yesterday Giants don't have plans to release anything in the current financial year. So assuming the next game comes out late 2021 at the earliest, it's not like the install base on the new consoles is going to be small so.

Personally speaking, I think the game engine is in need of a massive overhaul and that is the thing really holding the game back at this point and if they take big steps to change that for the next game then it would really only make sense that you develop that with the new consoles as the prime focus. The issues though are more likely to be that the new game has been in the works since before FS19 even shipped, and if the decision wasn't made to overhaul the game engine at that point it will be to late in development to do that now.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

sittinhere wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:44 pm
It would be smarter of them to develop cross gen and have the game scale to the hardware provided. Next gen can have higher graphics, higher slot count etc. it may be more work, but they can take their cake and eat at the same time so to speak.
I guess only Giants know how realistic it would be to make it cross gen. How easy will it be to strip out gameplay features for the last gen consoles? If they need stripped out of course. I'm presuming the new version of FS has more than just a tweaked graphics engine.

It sounds like it could potentially be a total headache for modders if it was cross gen and there would inevitably be a lot of disgruntled players wanting to know why cool feature X wasn't possible with the last gen version of the game. Would maps have to be made less feature laden to work on the old consoles? I could imagine that sort of thing being problematic.

There's not a big install base now on for the new consoles but presumably this new version of FS is going to a have a 3 year or so lifespan. It could be seen as a future investment to only release it for the new consoles.
Last edited by Mobias on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

The big pain with last Gen is that the original One and PS4 are both anemically underpowered/already maxed by most newer games, while PS4 Pro’s, One X’s, and to an extent the One S aren’t maxed. But to develop a game for the last gens it has to be compatible with them all.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
sittinhere

Post by sittinhere »

Mobias wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm
sittinhere wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:44 pm
It would be smarter of them to develop cross gen and have the game scale to the hardware provided. Next gen can have higher graphics, higher slot count etc. it may be more work, but they can take their cake and eat at the same time so to speak.
I guess only Giants know how realistic it would be to make it cross gen. How easy will it be to strip out gameplay features for the last gen consoles? If they need stripped out of course. I'm presuming the new version of FS has more than just a tweaked graphics engine.

It sounds like it could potentially be a total headache for modders if it was cross gen and there would inevitably be a lot of disgruntled players wanting to know why cool feature X wasn't possible with the last gen version of the game. Would maps have to be made less feature laden to work on the old consoles? I could imagine that sort of thing being problematic.

There's not a big install base now on for the new consoles but presumably this new version of FS is going to a have a 3 year or so lifespan. It could be seen as a future investment to only release it for the new consoles.
Agree, if the lifespan is 3 years then it might make sense. Regarding Deere’s post, there was a study to see what the actually ratio was to people owning the Xbox one/PS4 to people having either one s, one x, or PS4 pro. The large majority of people are still on the original. There is a very small portion of gamers on one x or PS4 pro. I agree that last gen is at their limitations but we don’t know if giants is meeting those limitations if that makes sense. One thing they can add and would work across all platforms is ground deformation that is found in the mudrunner games.

With the next gen consoles I’m sure high slot count, more mod storage, possible scripts (I do not see why this isn’t possible now. If you look at Skyrim on Xbox, there are 3rd party scripts that alter a lot of things). Maybe Giants need to develop something to ensure safety of scrips onto consoles. But back to what I was saying, better graphics, more complex physics and systems are likely to be achievable on the new systems.

It’s a tricky place because on one hand if you release only on next gen you would be eliminating a lot of the player base (Chris stated in the farm sim show that console makes 50% of the player base). So with that, how many upgrade or plan to upgrade within the next year or two? First they need to be available at a store. Then on the other hand, if you release cross gen, is there away to have features on all platforms and scale those features based on the hardware. For example. Last gen can have all the features will limitations and next gen has the same features but more flesh out with no limitations.

They could experiment with fs19 now with a next gen upgrade and see what they can do. But maybe the engine itself is at its max. Maybe there is a new engine for the next farm sim. Who knows
sittinhere

Post by sittinhere »

The 8 million consoles sold for ps5 is a bit skewed really. How many of those 8 million are sold to consumers vs sold to a scalper. Same goes with Xbox
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

For scripts I think just having something like Goobal Company in the base game would perfect. A base to allow a variety of mods onto console while also giving GIANTS some options for their mods or basegame features if they would want.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

With consoles it usually takes a certain 'must have' game coming out for people to want to go out and buy one. I presume most keen FS players would buy a new console if it meant they could play a shiny new version of the game. Maybe not immediately but certainly within the first year of the new game coming out.
sittinhere wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 pm The 8 million consoles sold for ps5 is a bit skewed really. How many of those 8 million are sold to consumers vs sold to a scalper. Same goes with Xbox
Its not like Scalpers sit on massive inventories of stock though. Scalpers are a problem but they're a drop in the ocean when it comes to over all sales.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Does anyone know anything about the new version of FS? Has there been any clues as to any new features? I'm guessing that if its coming out later this year we might hear or see something in the next few months.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mobias wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:31 pm With consoles it usually takes a certain 'must have' game coming out for people to want to go out and buy one. I presume most keen FS players would buy a new console if it meant they could play a shiny new version of the game. Maybe not immediately but certainly within the first year of the new game coming out.
sittinhere wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:06 pm The 8 million consoles sold for ps5 is a bit skewed really. How many of those 8 million are sold to consumers vs sold to a scalper. Same goes with Xbox
Its not like Scalpers sit on massive inventories of stock though. Scalpers are a problem but they're a drop in the ocean when it comes to over all sales.
And scalpers do resale so they end up being played eventually.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Perhaps going foward Giants should maybe port their Mobile game to the old Xbox and PS4 players, I'm sure those consoles can still run games like Farming Simulator 20, heck if my Vita can play them and the Switch the consoles should be able to play it, and that way Giants can still get sales from an existing console install base that hasn't upgraded yet to the newer consoles. For the PC, New Xbox and Playstation 5 owners, they absolutely do not want anything to do with a game that can also run on 10 year old equipment. It's time for Giants to more Farming Simulator to the Next-Generation and create an engine first and forement, then a game on that engine that can enjoy all the wonderful new hardware as well as scale to newer hardware that comes out in the not too distant future.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

If they want to continue forward, they should focus on the new hardware. It shouldn't even be a question for them.
If they want to support both, then they could continue to offer content for 19 on older consoles, while providing a new version for new consoles.
gordon861

Post by gordon861 »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:23 pm For scripts I think just having something like Goobal Company in the base game would perfect. A base to allow a variety of mods onto console while also giving GIANTS some options for their mods or basegame features if they would want.
Isn't the Global Company MOD really just a system to 'allow a number of inputs to be swapped for a new output over a timeframe'? I know there's in truth a lot more clever programming to it than that but in theory there is no reason the scripting for this cannot be built into the games own code, the game already has a system to convert various items to cash and cash to various items.

If Giants included the swap 'this/these for that' scripting into the base game then MODrs should be able to call on the functionality to swap whatever inputs they like to whatever output they like without needing their own scripts. TMR mixers already do this but with only with a very limited set of inputs.
--------------
Hey Giants, when are you going to pull your head out of your backsides and actually talk to us?
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Seems the poll is favoring the older consoles than than the new. We all know with Covid affecting sales on both, especially playstation and not many people have the finances to upgrade. The gen consoles haven't really have taken of yet because of those things.

I reckon they will do an fs21 on both consoles, they won't ditch older consoles anytime soon
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

eric21 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:29 pm especially playstation and not many people have the finances to upgrade. The gen consoles haven't really have taken of yet because of those things.

Thats not the impression I get. Its next to impossible to get a new console or a new PC graphics card at the moment because they can't make them quickly enough. People are stuck indoors and are spending money on home entertainment like never before. Games sales are generally through the roof at the moment. Its never been a better time to invest in a new console. The problem is finding one.
FarmerLee73

Post by FarmerLee73 »

Been reading thru this thread with interest. Can't decide if I should get the new console or not as I mainly use the PC but I am very tempted. I would be interested to know if everyone actually thinks that there should be a new FS game or just keep updating the one we have. 19 has so many maps/mods now that I feel it would be such a shame to lose these to a new version on the game.

Personally I would like to see them keep the current version and just keep adding DLC or them best solution would be to make a new game that is backwards compatible with 19 mods.