Going mobile! New laptop spec questions!

PrincessJessi84

Going mobile! New laptop spec questions!

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

Hey guys.. lil miss wifey decided that she is too good to do desktop gaming with me.. guess our stationary ryzen 7s arent up to scratch lol.. so she wants a laptop.. I dont know a great deal about the options or availability of different models.. but I found one that seems pretty nice.. have a see and let me know what you think.. please don't suggest building a pc myself, especially a tower as I currently have 2 perfectly capable gaming rigs in front and to the left of me respectively..

I just am not sure if this is a good price for a LAPTOP with these specs.. I like the numbers on everything but I just dont know about this particular model or price..

Any help is greatly appreciated

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware- ... Id=6409415
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
duncan_101

Re: Going mobile! New laptop spec questions!

Post by duncan_101 »

That will do it easily.
However alien ware is one of the more expensive ones when it comes to gaming laptops (you really pay for the name brand)

My wife just bought a new gaming laptop wich is an acer (predator) it's not as powerful as what you show here but also won't break the bank either.

I myself have been using an Asus rog laptop for the past 2 to 3 years and have no complaints about the graphics or the speed so far.
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
PrincessJessi84

personally I have found one of the biggest limitations to laptops is the case in terms of longevity.. I am intentionally steering clear of brands like acer because, where I think the hardware works well, the case is sub quality (based on several models I have had, they ALL had case failure in one way or another long before the hardware gave out) so I was interesting in this as the reviews stated that the case feels very hardy like it hopefully will stand up to the test of time for a few good years
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

Fair.. So far mine have lasted 5 years each. Wich is usually the time when any hardware would be really obsolete anyway in my opinion so I'd be browsing for something new around that time.

Edit: if you go for the top of the line ranges I think material choice doesn't differ that much any more between companies. The only thing that sets them apart is the specs.
So basically how much you want to spend is your limit.
Yes the cheap dell or Toshiba will be plasticy but get the top of the range and you will get the materials you'd expect

Second edit (yes I'm bored at work) : I'll go and have a look for you when I get back and give some pictures + specs of what I'm using maybe that can help you along

3rd edit: tried to make some decent pictures of it but the lighting is terrible so all you see is black :P not really helpfull.
what i can tell you that my Asus ROG Strix GL703GM-E5091T is now 3 years old and the only damage on it is one little dent in the metal back of the screen. (wich is my fault) and it's dirty but i can't blame the laptop for that.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

My usual computer advice (need to find somewhere to put it so I can copy and paste it :lol:): Go to the LTT forum, it’s a bunch of computer geeks, also look for laptop review/comparison videos (I know at least in the past LTT did them every so often.)
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

Good point in the Netherlands I use the Tweakers site but don't think this will help you.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
christian256

Post by christian256 »

Medion Erazer P15811 is what I use, handles FS19 with ease. The downsize is the battery I find it loses its charge quickly, but seeing as I nearly always haved it connected to the mains it's not a problem.

Before anyone questions if I'm nearly always plugged in to the mains why didn't I buy a PC, I live on a boat and PC takes upto too much space
PrincessJessi84

We ordered that one.. I found that with those specs, from a reputable retailer, the AW actually wasn't the expensive one (due to $400 off the list price).. essentially what I did was picked the one that had the specs that would put her laptop on par with my tower in terms of performance (until my next upgrade tee hehe) and last a few years.. for the specs and the money I don't think it was a terrible buy.. thanks for the advice everyone.. it will be here in a few days and I will let you all know what I think.. to the reason I don't frequent tech sites.. I don't honestly care that much.. on average I try to pick hardware with established positive reviews and while I don't mind upgrading my pc as needed, I really don't care about building a pc from scratch.. I am not part of any tech forums.. but I am a part of this forum and this forum has members who are way more in the know than I am even if not "techs" per say.. As I use my pc mostly for running farmsim, I just don't see the harm in asking here where I know people.. suppose I should probably refrain.. I just don't see the harm.. srry
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

no harm done :mrgreen:

but reading between the lines it looked like from the first post you pretty much already made up your mind :P
in any case this machine will defenitly have no issues with running FS. and you'll have allot of fun with it in the comming years :biggrin2:
On an Asus RoG laptop.
PrincessJessi84

Actually duncan_101... you are absolutely right.. I was already made up.. while I have never owned an AW pc, I have been playing around with computers more than long enough to know that they make some of the best gaming rigs out there if you are willing to pay the price.. but in this case especially, the $400 off put it at or below similar spec laptops and I sold almost instantly.. kind of sad actually as I worry overall her laptop is going to make my pc look like a turd but I digress lol.. my wife on the other hand is the one who wasn't sure and wanted me to ask people who have maybe had AW (or similar) laptops about the overall value of this particular sale as she did seem more taken to it than most of the other models we looked at below $3,000 lol
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

And that is totally fair.
I'm just tainted by other forums that are a little less easy going and you would get burned to the ground in some cases.

It makes your defence / and feeling with some threads and tone of threads higher then it should maybe.

Anyways I digress. I wish you a lot of fun and enjoyment from your new laptop

Edit: dang autocorrect messing up again
On an Asus RoG laptop.
PrincessJessi84

Alright.. my review after a bit of time using it... That AW laptop is freaking fantastic! Its got a good solid case with some weight.. plenty of niceness in it too... lights for everything.. even the power cord has its own light... not sure y everything needs its own led these days but whatever lol.. that thing is nasty fast... like.. instant response with pretty well anything u ask it to do.. gaming is smooth as glass and is very pleasing to look at on the display.. I am not disappointed.. not one little bit.. sure we might have been able to get a cheaper top with similar specs but the combination of quality case and high quality performance combined with $400 we got off the list price, it was an amazing buy.. If u get a chance to pick one of these up, especially if u can find a nice sale, I highly recommend it!
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
theSeb

Re: Going mobile! New laptop spec questions

Post by theSeb »

Any reason why you went with a much slower and more power hungry intel cpu over the new Ryzen gaming laptops, such as the Asus zephyrus g15 ga503? That would have been my pick.

I bought a top of the range Alienware 17” gaming laptop a few years ago. The battery stopped charging a few months after I got it and then the whole motherboard failed too. To be fair to dell, the on-site support was excellent and I got a brand new motherboard / cpu/ gpu installed. Then the F2 key came off, so I just live with it. It pops off occasionally and I push it back on. 8 months ago the cpu fan started to fail - sounded like a bearing gone and it would struggle to spin. I took the thing apart and ordered the same fan from Amazon and put it back together. It works, but I certainly would never buy an Alienware or dell machine again.
PrincessJessi84

wow theSeb... thats terrible! I cant say I have had one bad moment out of my dell tower... the laptop is still new so its hard to say about the longevity.. are u talking about the ryzen 3800 I think it is? I dont know anything about that model.. I have the ryzen 7 in both of my dell towers and I love mine... wouldnt mind upgrading from the 2700 to a better one but idk if my board will even take the newer ones.. this is the first time I have even considered a cpu swap on a modern pc... last time I did anything like this was with an old P2 lolol.. I am trying to get back into it more and build a few computers but there is a lot to learn still about compatibilities and things
PC
2x 24" Dell Monitors
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Nah I am talking about the new 5xxx series mobile ryzen chips. They are absolute beasts.