Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Guil

Re: Farming simulator 19 vs GTA 5

Post by Guil »

Even with an ssd the loading times are dreadful
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

If the new game is going to run on the new Xbox then Giants will have to get it compatible with DirectX 12. That could make a difference to performance. I presume though that if Giants are just keep running on the same engine then it'll pretty much just be the same old.

GTAV is an old game now and they really struggled getting it optimised. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a better example of a huge complex game which is well optimised. It was built from the ground up to support multi thread processing. Hence it takes advantage of high end CPU power.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I am interested to see online getting an overhaul and how that turns out.
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Mobias wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:20 am If the new game is going to run on the new Xbox then Giants will have to get it compatible with DirectX 12. That could make a difference to performance. I presume though that if Giants are just keep running on the same engine then it'll pretty much just be the same old.

GTAV is an old game now and they really struggled getting it optimised. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a better example of a huge complex game which is well optimised. It was built from the ground up to support multi thread processing. Hence it takes advantage of high end CPU power.
Im pretty sure they can go to DX11 with their current engine, it was originally released in 2008, and has been in continuous use (with updates) since and I’m pretty sure DX has changed in their.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
FS Comunity Trader: https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
Desktop: i5-9400f, RTX 2060, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD.
Laptop: Pentium Silver N5000, UHD605, 4gb RAM, 1tb HDD.
Deere, Fendt, Claas, and sometimes the rest of Agco.
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

However they decide to do it, I just hope the next version will give me that exciting new game feeling I got when starting up 17 (even though I wasn't new to the series).
Wolf Farming

Post by Wolf Farming »

Guil wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm The game would be much easier to run if they adopted the gta approach. I don't think anyone would be happy waiting for the game to load in the clouds everytime they switched to another tractor or vehicle halfway across the map just as you do switching character in gta
Oh god no considering how long it takes to load in on gta online the game would be unplayable and don’t forget timed out loading session :lol:
Steam: Grey Wolf
Pc only
Farming simulator 15,17,19,22
Currently playing: court farm
Fav tractor: challenger John Deere
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

I think it's a great question from OP in understanding how different games work.

Just staying on fs19 though, how come a map with, say, 15 fields couldn't have a higher bale limit versus a map with 200 fields? Is it because all the maps are the same size so the cpu (or whatever) is keeping up with the same area even though there's more fields on one?
New farmer mode always
Xbox Series x/..... Being kind don't cost a dime
Guil

Post by Guil »

Ram usage, just because a map has more fields doesn't automatically mean it will use more ram. Do as others have said and get on a tall building and see the world build before your eyes
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

I see. I'll try that sometime.
New farmer mode always
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

Guil wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:45 am Ram usage, just because a map has more fields doesn't automatically mean it will use more ram. Do as others have said and get on a tall building and see the world build before your eyes
All console maps are 2x2km no matter what’s on them.
FS15 & FS19 Platinum Edition PC (and War Thunder, Gaijin is way worse than GIANTS ever has been accused of being)
Psychohate

Post by Psychohate »

Yeah I was thinking they were all the same size
New farmer mode always
Guil

Post by Guil »

DEERE317 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:00 am
Guil wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:45 am Ram usage, just because a map has more fields doesn't automatically mean it will use more ram. Do as others have said and get on a tall building and see the world build before your eyes
All console maps are 2x2km no matter what’s on them.
I didn't say any different, maps vary hugely in install size and some have a lot more buildings etc to load
DEERE317

Post by DEERE317 »

I was putting that as an addition to what you said.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 pm GTA handles loading screens in multiplayer, and can handle loading and releasing memory for each of the 16 players no matter where they are on the much larger map.
Just because FS keeps track of every single thing on the map, it doesn't mean it has to.
I have made games where I give a player poker chips every 2 hours. If they collect the chips, then exit the game, the game doesn't have to stay in ram in order to give them their chips again if they come back 2 hours later.
:lol:
FarmBoss

Post by FarmBoss »

theSeb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm
FarmBoss wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:44 pm GTA handles loading screens in multiplayer, and can handle loading and releasing memory for each of the 16 players no matter where they are on the much larger map.
Just because FS keeps track of every single thing on the map, it doesn't mean it has to.
I have made games where I give a player poker chips every 2 hours. If they collect the chips, then exit the game, the game doesn't have to stay in ram in order to give them their chips again if they come back 2 hours later.
:lol:
:wink3: