How licenses and branding on console works

chedly_farms

Re: How licenses and branding on console works

Post by chedly_farms »

Modders have also been good at bringing new brands into the game. For example, look at Siid and Custom Modding and how they brought Demco and Giants together.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:33 pm Modders have also been good at bringing new brands into the game. For example, look at Siid and Custom Modding and how they brought Demco and Giants together.
Given the success the franchise has received, I would hope that brands like Kubota, Bobcat, and Caterpillar, make it into the game. But given that modders can use whatever brands they want on PC, it doesn't give Giants much of incentive to spend money on acquiring new licenses.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

Riven326 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm
chedly_farms wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:33 pm Modders have also been good at bringing new brands into the game. For example, look at Siid and Custom Modding and how they brought Demco and Giants together.
Given the success the franchise has received, I would hope that brands like Kubota, Bobcat, and Caterpillar, make it into the game. But given that modders can use whatever brands they want on PC, it doesn't give Giants much of incentive to spend money on acquiring new licenses.
Perhaps not on Giant's end. But Manufacturer's are taking note. They want in. John Deere approached Giants. Claas Approached Giants. Horsch approached Giants. It's great advertising for the brands, and they want in.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Kubota is kind of already in the game and I would be shocked if we don't get Kubota in FS22. Vicon and Kverneland are both in the game and owned by Kubota.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

I wouldn’t believe/worry they don’t try hard to get brands either, what did they start with 4 or 5 brands? Maybe? I don’t know for sure but I know it wasn’t much
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

chedly_farms wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:10 pm
Perhaps not on Giant's end. But Manufacturer's are taking note. They want in. John Deere approached Giants. Claas Approached Giants. Horsch approached Giants. It's great advertising for the brands, and they want in.
It would be nice to see brands that aren't farming specific, like Caterpillar. But I suppose they would need to expand the franchise to other areas, such as construction, in order to get attention from those kinds of companies.

I can see a FS future title that acts as a sort of "all in one game". Before EA's Battlefield, there were tank games, plane games, military shooters, etc. Battlefield brought all of those genres together. I can see Giants using the FS brand in the same way sometime down the road.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Riven326 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 pmI can see a FS future title that acts as a sort of "all in one game". Before EA's Battlefield, there were tank games, plane games, military shooters, etc. Battlefield brought all of those genres together. I can see Giants using the FS brand in the same way sometime down the road.
Years ago (~FS17 promo time perhaps) I remember someone from GIANTS, Christian Ammann (the CEO) I think, saying that one of his dreams was to make a game which wasn't just farming simulator, but [paraphrasing] boat driver, pilot and train driver along with farming. To create a world sufficiently big and diverse would be a mammoth undertaking, probably beyond the likes of even AAA companies to do, but it was just a dream. You could do it as a manager style game like a city builder, but as a true simulator is borderline impossible. I certainly can't see it for at least 20-30+ years or something depending on how gaming evolves.

Let's face it, to do well you're talking along the lines of merging multi-million pound franchises like Flight Simulator (which has most computers shuddering before it even loads the 3D world), Counter Strike and GTA as well as Train Simulator, Euro/American Truck Simulator and Spintires before you consider Farming Simulator itself.

It's a nice dream, but it won't get beyond that for our gaming generation... but if it does, such would be the scale, you'll have to decide whether to download the patch notes on a Kindle or as a hardback novel.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Yeah those mods on PC are some good ones. They're not supposed to do it without licensing, but who's gonna catch them i suppose. I personally wouldn't want to be the one creating them though. Anyhow, yeah Caterpillar would be great, but i get my fix on Construction Sim 2 on Xbox. Love that game and recommend it OP. I wish Giants would get back into the 'Demolition Simulator" business lol.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 pm
Riven326 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 pmI can see a FS future title that acts as a sort of "all in one game". Before EA's Battlefield, there were tank games, plane games, military shooters, etc. Battlefield brought all of those genres together. I can see Giants using the FS brand in the same way sometime down the road.
Years ago (~FS17 promo time perhaps) I remember someone from GIANTS, Christian Ammann (the CEO) I think, saying that one of his dreams was to make a game which wasn't just farming simulator, but [paraphrasing] boat driver, pilot and train driver along with farming. To create a world sufficiently big and diverse would be a mammoth undertaking, probably beyond the likes of even AAA companies to do, but it was just a dream. You could do it as a manager style game like a city builder, but as a true simulator is borderline impossible. I certainly can't see it for at least 20-30+ years or something depending on how gaming evolves.

Let's face it, to do well you're talking along the lines of merging multi-million pound franchises like Flight Simulator (which has most computers shuddering before it even loads the 3D world), Counter Strike and GTA as well as Train Simulator, Euro/American Truck Simulator and Spintires before you consider Farming Simulator itself.

It's a nice dream, but it won't get beyond that for our gaming generation... but if it does, such would be the scale, you'll have to decide whether to download the patch notes on a Kindle or as a hardback novel.
I don't think adding construction would be outside their scope. They've successfully added logging such that there are now entire maps dedicated to just that. The game already has excavators, skid steers, wheel loaders, bulldozers, etc. It just needs the framework to allow those vehicles to interact with the environment. The contract system could also be utilized: taking contacts to clear debris, construct buildings, pave roadways, etc.

@ the poster who mentioned CS2. If you have a PC, check out Construction Simulator 2015. It's much better than CS2. It's not a port of a mobile game.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 am

I don't think adding construction would be outside their scope. They've successfully added logging such that there are now entire maps dedicated to just that. The game already has excavators, skid steers, wheel loaders, bulldozers, etc. It just needs the framework to allow those vehicles to interact with the environment. The contract system could also be utilized: taking contacts to clear debris, construct buildings, pave roadways, etc.

@ the poster who mentioned CS2. If you have a PC, check out Construction Simulator 2015. It's much better than CS2. It's not a port of a mobile game.
Yep, know well about that game, but my computer too old to play it. It does play Demolition Company though, though the controller a bit wonky. I love those construction sim games, and thanks for the recommendation nonetheless.
Riven326

Post by Riven326 »

Airborne82nd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:24 am
Riven326 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:12 am

Yep, know well about that game, but my computer too old to play it. It does play Demolition Company though, though the controller a bit wonky. I love those construction sim games, and thanks for the recommendation nonetheless.
You bet. 👍

I never played Demolition Company. I'll have to look into that. I always wanted to try American Truck Simulator, but the PC just wouldn't do it. There are so many great SIM games on PC. It's a shame so few make their way to console.
Airborne82nd

Post by Airborne82nd »

Me as well. I'd love to play that game. That's likely a reason many of us console folks want to see "construction", and "truck missions" and all the like on FS, because we can't play them on our old weak computers lol.