Constructive feedback thread for FS22

Drmattymd

Re: Constructive feedback thread for FS22

Post by Drmattymd »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:21 pm
Coldlandlord wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:57 pmAnyone who wants to play with seasons, has got to do an entire seasons work in one day?
I think you're missing what this version of Seasons (Seasonal Cycles) will be. First off, you can play without seasonal changes at all the same way the default game has always been, so that's not an issue. Also, if you choose to play with seasons, the only option is to play with 3 day seasons (12 day year), not one day seasons as you are saying. The problem of course is that there is no option for season length greater than the current minimum of 3 days.

It is disappointing to hear that the official "fix" for this is to slow down time and make the days longer. I think pretty much everyone who plays with seasons enjoys seeing several days come and go to feel like time is passing. Slowing down time will not be good for feeling like time is passing- you need the day night cycles.

I hope Realismus will want to take on this challenge again to make it right. We also have to hope it will be made available for consoles as well. I don't know if it's just a given now that the Season mods with the new scripts will always be allowed on consoles. I hope so, otherwise I'll be sticking with FS19.
From what they've said you are incorrect. They haven't said you can turn off the seasonal changes, at least I haven't seen that stated anywhere, but you can turn off the crop calendar. So you can still plant whatever, whenever, but them are you planting corn in winter just because you can?
Playing on PC and PS4
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

If that's true, then I stand corrected. I can't say for sure that I saw it would be an option. I might've just assumed it would be.
PS4
Coldlandlord

Post by Coldlandlord »

Ah for some reason I had it in my head that it was one day per season.
It’s still a very short amount of time for the average player who has been using the seasons mod in the previous versions. Literaly everyone that uses seasons mod has said that 3 day seasons is too short so I don’t understand why they expect those players who want to use the new feature to its full potential are expected to compromise their game play by slowing down time in order to satisfy those who don’t traditionally play with the seasons mod? For those that feel that 9 day seasons is too long, there is a perfectly good, pre-existing work around, which is, disable the mod and play without it, speed up time or use the sleep anytime feature to skip a day or 2 or 3…
That’s far more logical, less restrictive, gives you more scope to grow your farm and that’s what everyone has been doing for years.

There has been no mention of being able to turn it off and play a default/non seasonal environment. From what I have listened to, it sounds like you can disable the calendar but the visual changes will still happen with the only option available being the ability to enable/disable snow. Who would chose to play without seasons on and then want to combine in a winter environment? What is the point in having a visually changing environment, yet, it makes no difference to what you can do?

Surely, you either want to play with seasons on and if it takes too much time, you can very easily skip time, or you don’t want to play with seasons on and you want the weather to be prime conditions all of the time.
Aholz89

Post by Aholz89 »

I recommend reading this page.

https://farming-simulator.com/newsArtic ... ews_id=245

You can turn on/off both seasonal cycles or seasonal growth.

I am looking forward to the game, seems like they have tried to cater the interest to many different play-styles. Time will tell how the "12 day years" will work out.
Came here for information, stayed for the entertainment.
Ro4dKi11

Post by Ro4dKi11 »

Here my 2 cents. It would be nice to have more categories in the mod hub for placeables. It takes forever to back out of a page after entering on console when there are hundreds of mods in a section like building, sometimes I think it would be quicker to reload the game. For example, a section for anomal pens. Sheds for sheds with doors, Shelters for sheds without doors. Just make sections more specific so that they are not overloaded with everything. Thanks.

P.S. The new placement systems looks great, not having to flaten slopes will be very nice, and being able to place things closer together awesome.
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Ro4dKi11 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:01 am P.S. The new placement systems looks great, not having to flaten slopes will be very nice, and being able to place things closer together awesome.
I like your opinion so might as well put it out as the features I like to be added.
  • Have a ability to use search function like the FS19 Modhub in the vehicle shop. :gamer:
  • Have a ability to search by brands in modhub. :search:
  • Have more details of a mod (e.g Brands, Implement/Vehicle, etc.)
Note: Maybe add a new weather which is the Thunderstorm which probably might never happen though.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

Aholz89 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:06 pm I recommend reading this page.

https://farming-simulator.com/newsArtic ... ews_id=245

You can turn on/off both seasonal cycles or seasonal growth.

I am looking forward to the game, seems like they have tried to cater the interest to many different play-styles. Time will tell how the "12 day years" will work out.
FarmerDan72 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:08 pm If that's true, then I stand corrected. I can't say for sure that I saw it would be an option. I might've just assumed it would be.
I think you mis-understood the article. In fact this whole aspect really needs to be clarified by GIANTS as otherwise a lot of players are gonna be annoyed when they figure it out themselves as I've read this confusion everywhere.

Fs22 Seasonal Cycles works in 3 parts,
1) Is the visual aspect, trees changing colour, foliage etc. This CANNOT be turned off.

2) Crop Calender, this can be turned off allowing you to plant and harvest with bare Winter trees or whenever you want.

3) Snow can also be turned off.

I agree adding a simple Seasons to the default game is a good idea, not everyone wants to be forced to play with some of the full Seasons mod features as many become quickly irritating or annoying after a short while.

But I don't understand making it that you can turn it off, but only half off.
Same as restricting the Seasons length to 12 days per year.

Farm Sim's strength has always been allowing players to play how they want to. But ever since Fs19 the newer gameplay functions have actually been restricting gameplay to fewer and fewer styles.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
BulletBill

Post by BulletBill »

A few constructive feedback points:

(This is taken from a Player, Modder and real life Farmer aspect/pov.)

Graphics

I know visual aspects can often be user specific, but in general my experience in the 10 years of Modding and Playing Farm Sim has shown me the vast majority of players appreciate natural, realistic, blended visuals for the game.
The current trend for overblown saturation as seen in Fs22, is really unappealing. I don't remember seeing countless topics and posts asking for cartoon style graphics, yet that is what you've decided to give us.
Telling us this can be adjusted per map environment is not a suitable fix as the colour control is global, where as different aspects need to be adjusted separately.

Issues: In Fs19 the skies were always washed out and had no colour, you "fixed" this in Fs22 by upping the saturation level, which now has vehicles and equipment so over saturated they look awful, ugly even. All the hard work modelling such great 3D models is spoiled by the game itself.
The game is about farming, and the countryside, yet the environments look very un-natural, it makes the game look cheap and something you would see on mobile, and that is a shame as it detracts so much of your hard work.

Fixes: First off, there needs to either be independent colour control of the sky, the natural environment and the vehicle and equipment, if your not bothered about changing the default values yourself.

Or you could alter the default values so that they are balanced and have a far more natural look, making the game look refined and well made.

Issues: I'm glad to see some improvements to the dynamic sky and lighting in Fs22. (More distance clouds, that don't suddenly disappear on the horizon.)
However the cloud layer still seems to flat compared to real life.
The recent footage we saw of the night time sky was dreadful. Daytime sky with a dark filter and a Moon that shone like Sun? Really! Please don't listen to morons who complain the night is too dark. That is a scientific fact they have to deal with.

Fixes: The cloud layer needs far more height than it has currently, and more variety.
The transition of light needs to be far better just before sunrise and after sunset. The ambient light goes way too dark once the sun is no longer above the horizon.
There needs to be a variety of colour for the Sunrises and Sunsets, a variable colour grading value range in a separate sky environment xml would cover this.
The night sky should be dark, with stars and Moon that although visible is not as bright as the sun with a far more diffused light on the ground.

Issues: The tree and bush textures need massively reducing in the saturation and brightness, just because you want people to know they are in a different Season doesn't mean you need to shove it in there face so badly.

Fixes: Up close tree leaves still have reasonable saturation(but should be way less than they are presently), but the futher away (tree LODS) the colour should lose saturation and be darker. Which is why in RL a distance tree line looks much darker and has none of the actual colour it has up close.

Issues: With regards foliage and particularly crops, I don't know where you get your reference material from, but you really need to send your foliage artists out to actual working farms at various stages through the year to see first-hand just how they look in the real world. Some of the crops still look far removed from the real world crop through the various growth stages.

Fixes: For example the current pics of Fs22 show orange wheat/barley which is so over saturated it looks really wrong.
Generally on most Wheat and Barley crop varieties the colour is very muted, pale beige when ready to harvest.
Wheat has a slight tinge towards the red colour spectrum.
Barley on the other hand generally has a slightly more yellowish tint.
However these colours only show at harvest on the lower part of the stalks, stubble, and straw swath, as the grain heads themselves are pale and very low on colour saturation.

You have for years always made these same plants very yellow/green in colour instead of the darker more blue-ish/green they actually are during the smaller growth stages.

Crop stubble is one area you have badly wrong on most crops. As a RL farmer this is such a glaring issue it's impossible to ignore and one that could be fixed with some adjustment to the textures and foliage xml coding.

(If you would like more detail on this area I can happily provide reference material and more detailed feedback as I have a fair bit of experience with how your foliageLayers work and can be adjusted as well as plenty of real world experience.)

Conclusion: In all my years of making mods and in particular maps, all the feedback from those has shown that the majority of people enjoy the environment being natural and realistic as possible within the games limitations.
Up to Fs17 the graphics were dated, but had for the most part a nice reasonable balance. Ever since Fs19 and again now into Fs22 the balance has gone, and although some aspects visually look great it has come at the expense of others, please bring back that balance.
For me Farm Sim is about creating realistic, beautiful real world environments for people to enjoy and get lost in the immersion of that environment.
Last edited by BulletBill on Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the "Frontier Design" Discord: https://discord.gg/7P8ePvU
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

As has been mentioned a written description under the crop icons and more options in the seasonal cycles.

In 19 we have the mod workshop tabber allowing the player to drive into the repair trigger and cycle through any attached equipment and select what to repair rather than having to keep disconnecting.
BernardC

Post by BernardC »

English is not my usual language, but i should like to better understand what Giants mean when they say :

In Farming Simulator 22, you need to prepare for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. If you don't, you'll see your valuable crops wither away. That is, if you choose to play with seasonal cycles enabled, of course.

if i need to choose to play with seasonal cycles enabled it means i can not choose or choose it not enabled at all :hmm:
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Kerminator wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:35 pm We've been very clear in the past that if a "seasons" type of thing were to be added in to FS that it would not be as in depth and hardcore as the mod, because we don't want to force these more "hardcore" features on people.

That's why it's Seasonal Cycles coming to 22 and not Seasons. We love the mod community, and I'm sure someone will create something rather quickly for those who are wanting an experience more along the lines that they're used to with the Seasons mod.
When you try to meet everyone half way you just end up with a half solution that results in annoying everyone by half.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

My feedback pretty much is the same as everything bullet bill mobias and this is gav said. However i would love to add one more thing. Slowing down time to extend seasons is not the best solution for the playerbase its more the best solution for programmers. I know this wont change anymore and we are left on mercy to the modders but please understand it could have been done better we realy should be able to control number of days in seasons.
grimwood

Post by grimwood »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am
1) Is the visual aspect, trees changing colour, foliage etc. This CANNOT be turned off.

2) Crop Calender, this can be turned off allowing you to plant and harvest with bare Winter trees or whenever you want.

As I understand it, while you can't turn no. 1) off as such, you will be able to pause it, so with the crop calendar turned off and the visual cycle paused, then it will be back as it was in FS19 without Seasons.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Kerminator wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:56 pm Yes I understand that, but the settings for changing days in the seasons mod can break saves if you change them after the fact. The solution of the lower timescales in Seasonal Cycles is the best alternative to simulate 3, 6 or 9 day seasons while keeping it optimized.
The actual solution would have been to allow the player to set the length once at the beginning of the game and not allow people to change it once they have started playing on the map. Then allow people to speed up / slow down time, as needed and also give them an immediate fast forward go to next season button. Problem solved.

Re Seasons... I guess it depends on the definition of "broken save game". At most people may lose a year's worth of crops. I am not aware of any save game breaking issues in Seasons19 mod due to changing season length. Changing seasons length back and forth regularly is not something that is recommended due to various game play related issues, especially when you have crops growing (germination, weeds, patchy crop failure etc), but you won't "break" your save game. Would I put that functionality into an actual paid for product to release? No. I would have implemented what I suggested in the first paragraph, because the day of the season is recalculated (as it should be) when people change seasons and this confuses them and leaves them believing that their day counter is not progressing and thus something is broken. It's good enough for a mod, but not good enough for a game.
Last edited by theSeb on Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

BulletBill wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am (snip)

I think you mis-understood the article. In fact this whole aspect really needs to be clarified by GIANTS as otherwise a lot of players are gonna be annoyed when they figure it out themselves as I've read this confusion everywhere.

I agree adding a simple Seasons to the default game is a good idea, not everyone wants to be forced to play with some of the full Seasons mod features as many become quickly irritating or annoying after a short while.

But I don't understand making it that you can turn it off, but only half off.
Same as restricting the Seasons length to 12 days per year.

Farm Sim's strength has always been allowing players to play how they want to. But ever since Fs19 the newer gameplay functions have actually been restricting gameplay to fewer and fewer styles.
That's quite depressing: I had hoped that "pausing the Season Cycles calendar" would mean that days passed but the Season didn't change: that way I could get to spring, say, do all my spring jobs, un-pause the calendar, get to summer, pause, do all those jobs, un-pause, get to autumn, pause, do all those jobs and so on.

Maybe I'll just get a 100mph, million litre combine and rush around the fields like a ten-year old :frown: :frown: :frown:

And make cakes *thumbsdown*
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads