FS22 Seasons - Observation of Crop Calendar

Thedebe48

FS22 Seasons - Observation of Crop Calendar

Post by Thedebe48 »

I noticed in the FS22 'Tutorials' page that they have a small blog on seasons in the new game. Being curious, I read through it. First thing I noticed is that in the new crop calendar, Wheat, Barley, and Canola all have to be planted in the fall now.

I understand that somewhere along the line someone told Giants this is the way it works in ex. part of the world and they just went with it. I know they're busy rolling out the new game and this is not even close to the top of their to do list.

However, it seems pretty ridiculous to me that spring wheat is not allowed in the game and it won't germinate correctly. This would be inaccurate in many places. It was always really nice in the Realismus Modding version of seasons where they recognized that most small grains, i.e. wheat, barley, canola, rye etc., can be planted as either a spring or a fall crop. The only crop in my mind that should be 'spring only' is oats. And really none of them should be 'fall only' with their short growing cycles.

Other observations:
-Small grains don't magically wither on September 1st, or Canola on August 1st.
-Many guys are able to start combining soybeans in September.
-Corn harvest in some places stretches into December if there has been a wet fall season. Cold weather will not make a corn crop wither. In rare occasions I've seen it combined in the spring without a yield loss of more than 10-20%.
-Sugar Beets often stretch into December if there has been a warm fall season. Beets need to be defoliated and lifted in cold temperatures, otherwise the sugar goes bad.
-Soybeans can be planted into June in some places.

Side note: Withering should really not be an 'all or nothing' deadline. Instead it should be a progressive yield loss the longer you wait.

Hopefully modders will work their magic and custom seasons geos will be a thing again.
eric21

Re: FS22 Seasons - Observation of Crop Calendar

Post by eric21 »

It's based on where giants is located I believe
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I was hoping that the planting calendar is geographically specific - as it was with the Seasons GEO
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

eric21 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm It's based on where giants is located I believe
Shocker.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:45 pm
I couldn't agree more with everything you say here debe. The entire northern half of the North America Great Plains produces primarily spring-seeded small grains. It would be quite weird if the final cut of this half-implemented in-house seasons makes that impossible.
redglasses

Post by redglasses »

Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:05 pm
eric21 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm It's based on where giants is located I believe
Shocker.
:lol: I remember back in the day when giants defense for leaving out American equipment was: "Just because that's how it's done where you are doesn't mean that's how it's done everywhere" and now look where we are.
Playing Lincoln Creek on PC
Upload your screenshots here: IMG server
My Discord
Remember there is no need to spread your manure around the forums :wink3:
Jack of all trades, master of the skid steer
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

All three basegame maps are based in different areas of the world so if they have only one version of a crop calendar in seasonal cycles then I would say that is a disappointment.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I can see giants doing what easiest for them, but you have a French map and an American map you should have a planting/harvesting schedule for each map. Each region is different. Also going on that, if the u.s map is in the Midwest it should have that growing region, if it is more like Texas then it could have growing region. Also thedebe, depending on the area like northern Midwest, corn, beans, potatoes, sugar beets, and I can't think of other fruits in the game at the moment, should also only be planted in the spring.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

This is exactly what I worried about with Giants giving us seasons. Without the ability to select a geo, we're all going to be stuck in the same climate no matter if you're farming in Montana or Brazil.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

DirectCedar wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Thedebe48 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:45 pm
I couldn't agree more with everything you say here debe. The entire northern half of the North America Great Plains produces primarily spring-seeded small grains. It would be quite weird if the final cut of this half-implemented in-house seasons makes that impossible.
In the UK wheat and barley are predominately a winter crop, that said spring wheat and barley is not uncommon especially in the last couple of years when it has been difficult in the Autumn for drilling with very unfavourable weather conditions.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 pm This is exactly what I worried about with Giants giving us seasons. Without the ability to select a geo, we're all going to be stuck in the same climate no matter if you're farming in Montana or Brazil.
I'm hoping that we still see a mod version as the Giants version is lacking in detail from what I want in seasons. The same goes for autodrive and courseplay as I can't see the new helper system having all the great features that the mods bring.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:11 pm I can see giants doing what easiest for them, but you have a French map and an American map you should have a planting/harvesting schedule for each map. Each region is different. Also going on that, if the u.s map is in the Midwest it should have that growing region, if it is more like Texas then it could have growing region. Also thedebe, depending on the area like northern Midwest, corn, beans, potatoes, sugar beets, and I can't think of other fruits in the game at the moment, should also only be planted in the spring.
Completely agree with this. It should really be geographically specific to the map. And you are exactly right. In the northern plains areas pretty much everything is seeded/planted late April to mid-June. Sometimes up there you'll see cereal rye go on in the fall as a cover crop, but that's about it.
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:12 pm This is exactly what I worried about with Giants giving us seasons. Without the ability to select a geo, we're all going to be stuck in the same climate no matter if you're farming in Montana or Brazil.
Which is hilarious when you think about it because those two places should not have the same seasons being on opposite ends of the equator lol.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

To be fair, you can turn seasonal growth off. That way, you still get visuals of 4 seasons, but you can sow and harvest more to your liking. I'm sort of okay with this. I'm still a bit bugged that it'll be snowing during a sugarcane harvest. LOL

I'm gonna give them credit where it's due. They have really listened to the feedback thus far (season length being a big one). I think this is something that will be improved as the game progresses.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
Thedebe48

Post by Thedebe48 »

fenixguy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:22 pm To be fair, you can turn seasonal growth off. That way, you still get visuals of 4 seasons, but you can sow and harvest more to your liking. I'm sort of okay with this. I'm still a bit bugged that it'll be snowing during a sugarcane harvest. LOL

I'm gonna give them credit where it's due. They have really listened to the feedback thus far (season length being a big one). I think this is something that will be improved as the game progresses.
This is a good take. I actually didn't know we could turn seasonal growth off and still keep the visual 4 seasons.

You are right though, more often than not Giants has been pretty good about listening to their community. I'll give them credit for that. Early stages of a new game are always frustrating though as fine details like this can be overlooked.

ex. In the last game we had a corn planter (the Great Plains) that didn't plant corn until like three months after the game was released...
Last edited by Thedebe48 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.