Stonepicker and seedbed

Martinw89

Stonepicker and seedbed

Post by Martinw89 »

Hi. I am noticing that my stonepicker is "destroying" my seedbed and replacing it with a cultivated state. Does this affect my yield?

Thanks
gilroy222

Re: Stonepicker and seedbed

Post by gilroy222 »

I was wondering this too. I think stonepickers should be changed to giving a seedbed state, just because as in real life you pick rocks after you work the ground
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Stone pickers should irl give neither a cultivated state or a seedbed state. They do one job and that's to remove stones. In the game however you're right they do give a cultivated state. According to the information I can find a roller will only improve yield after the field has been planted. Some farmers will use a roller before planting as well to smooth the ground. But in reality that's no longer needed as most cultivators and finishers come with a rolling basket which does what it says rolls the seedbed to make it smoother. Rolling after planting irl presses the seedbed down a bit so the seeds sit nice and tight to the ground and get the maximum moisture they can. If you notice the roller in game also leaves little grooves in the seedbed this is to stop water running away so that it will penetrate the ground better. Obviously a heavy rain is still going to have water that runs away but at that point your ground is wet enough for it not to matter.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

It's a bug, and will apparently be corrected in the patch.
Cardos

Post by Cardos »

deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:43 am Stone pickers should irl give neither a cultivated state or a seedbed state. They do one job and that's to remove stones. In the game however you're right they do give a cultivated state. According to the information I can find a roller will only improve yield after the field has been planted. Some farmers will use a roller before planting as well to smooth the ground. But in reality that's no longer needed as most cultivators and finishers come with a rolling basket which does what it says rolls the seedbed to make it smoother. Rolling after planting irl presses the seedbed down a bit so the seeds sit nice and tight to the ground and get the maximum moisture they can. If you notice the roller in game also leaves little grooves in the seedbed this is to stop water running away so that it will penetrate the ground better. Obviously a heavy rain is still going to have water that runs away but at that point your ground is wet enough for it not to matter.
I don't post often, but just wanted to say that informative posts like this are really appreciated, thanks *thumbsup*
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

You're welcome Cardos. Many years of actual farming helped a bit. On our farm the stone picker we had was a manure fork as we didn't have a lot of rocks, but when we did they tended to be bigish ones that have slowly made their way up from underground.
Martinw89

Post by Martinw89 »

deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:43 am According to the information I can find a roller will only improve yield after the field has been planted.

In the game or irl?
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Martinw89 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:34 pm
deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:43 am According to the information I can find a roller will only improve yield after the field has been planted.

In the game or irl?
Both. According to the in-game help menu and the Giant's academy rolling is done after planting and like mulching will give you a massive 2.5% boost to your crops.
The fact that the roller give you a "seedbed" state if you roll before planting is a little misleading and I hope something that they take out of the game in the patch so people don't waste so much time rolling 2X. Personally in game I don't bother rolling because the amount of time and effort it takes for a 2.5% boost isn't worth it IMHO.
Martinw89

Post by Martinw89 »

deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:06 pm
Martinw89 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:34 pm

In the game or irl?
Both. According to the in-game help menu and the Giant's academy rolling is done after planting and like mulching will give you a massive 2.5% boost to your crops.
The fact that the roller give you a "seedbed" state if you roll before planting is a little misleading and I hope something that they take out of the game in the patch so people don't waste so much time rolling 2X. Personally in game I don't bother rolling because the amount of time and effort it takes for a 2.5% boost isn't worth it IMHO.
I use the biggest roller so it dosent take long. but thanks. ive been rolling before seeding. Mulching and rolling gives 5% extra right?
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Right according to the information provided.
Martinw89

Post by Martinw89 »

deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:57 pm Right according to the information provided.
however, the in-game info says 5% for mulching and 5% from rolling. hmmm
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

Martinw89 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:58 pm
deerefarm wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:57 pm Right according to the information provided.
however, the in-game info says 5% for mulching and 5% from rolling. hmmm
Yep there does seem to be a discrepancy here, the game menu says 5% each the Academy says 5% total;

There seems to be a conflict of information coming out of Giants. If you add the number in the chart above it give a 100% Yield bonus over a field with nothing. I was/am in the process of testing 2 fields on Haut Bayleron (as this is the only map with 2 fields exactly the same size) to see what the difference is between a field with nothing and a field with everything. Problem is time, especially since the crops don't grow in 24 hrs anymore.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Also with todays Patch, Stone Pickers still are producing a Cultivated Status on the field so Agrodude who said it would be fixed in the patch got that very wrong.

Also with todays Patch and the new updated Filters which now have a "Needs Rolling" overlay in the map screen and also in the field info box, I can't find anyway to remove the 'Needs Rolling' status from Grass Fields. I've tried rolling before seeding, rolling after seeding, using the specific grasscare roller equipment on the field and nothing is removing that status and penalty from the field.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
humbe

Post by humbe »

I guess grass always needs rolling then 😄
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

I heard it was going to be fixed. I guess not. :(