Seedbed??

rewrew421

Seedbed??

Post by rewrew421 »

In my game I plowed, limed, and then rolled to form a seedbed. What does this mean? Because to test this I only rolled half the field and then seeded over it and there is no difference in the "seedbed" and the non rolled area of the field.

And then after seeding it says I need to roll again?

What is the method to the madness?
GothicKing13

Re: Seedbed??

Post by GothicKing13 »

I haven't actually payed attention to it, but I think you're supposed to roll the seedbed after you seed the field. Rolling after seeding will change the texture slightly, the ridges will become slightly deeper and more defined. Though, there is a completely different "seedbed" texture in which you can get by using a Shallow Cultivator OR a Power Harrow on an already cultivated field (the shallow cultivator nor the power harrow will give you stones, so no need to worry.) This seedbed texture, looks more like the cultivated texture but flatter. I don't think it gives any bonuses, but... I run the harrow/shallow cultivator just for more things to do to have less down time while working through the season. But, when rolling... I think it's purpose is for after seeding this is when I do it anyway. :hi:

My grain fields are --
Lime (If Needed) > Mulch > Cultivate > De-Stone > Harrow OR Shallow Cultivate (Seedbed) > Seed > Roll > Fertilize > Weed > Fertilize
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
rewrew421

Post by rewrew421 »

Yes there are different ways to get the seedbed "State" but what im saying is it has no bonus? and then rolling after seeding has a 2.5% bonus regardless of the crop planted.

I plowed a field, rolled half of it, then seeded. There was no difference in the half that I rolled and the half that I did not.
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Id say that benefit for rolling should be pushing rocks back in ground.
lugal317

Post by lugal317 »

Try rolling after you seed, should be a 5% yield bonus
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

lugal317 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 am Try rolling after you seed, should be a 5% yield bonus
2.5%
RomeoLimaEcho

Post by RomeoLimaEcho »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:45 am
lugal317 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 am Try rolling after you seed, should be a 5% yield bonus
2.5%
Maybe more, I was jumped into the field, and some spot tells 98%,
Just wondering why not 100%, because my soil preparation map looks perfect...
Superlooper53

Post by Superlooper53 »

The whole process isn't right. Who is out rolling a corn field after you plant? I can see rolling, Soybeans, small grains, stuff you cut short. Not corn or sorghum, its like the precision farming thing they did last year. They used the one fertilizer that moves easily in the soil and only grasses use. Why giants has to do things only half way when they do them is beyond me. With the additions of lime, and how they implemented the precision farming into the crop growth it would be a simple thing for them to fix.