Autosave

wildberry

Autosave

Post by wildberry »

Guys, I am a bit confused. Isnt autosave supposed to, well, save automatically? After a crash at almost the end of a baling mission I decided to switch it on to 10 min. However, it doesnt save unless 10 min have passed but only if I go to the ESC menu :confusednew: This supposed to be that way?
MC, aka Master of Cereals
humbe

Re: Autosave

Post by humbe »

I think that might be intentional.. Seems to be my experience too, though I mostly turn autosave off.. On the other hand, saving does seem to pause the game for a while, so getting a 5 sec save hickup while driving around might annoy people. Guess that's why it is like that.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

That's the way it always worked for me on FS19 (on PS4). I stopped using it because game was so stable.
chedder_farms

Post by chedder_farms »

Giants idea of autosave and everyone else on the planets idea of autosave are different. Everyone else on the planet considers autosave as a timed event, where Giants considers it a player triggered event.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

chedder_farms wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:38 am Giants idea of autosave and everyone else on the planets idea of autosave are different. Everyone else on the planet considers autosave as a timed event, where Giants considers it a player triggered event.
It sure is quirky.

The real downside on console is there only being one save file. There are times when you need to be able to choose between an autosave file and a player save file. But you can't.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Yeah this feature is a bit strange, you set the Autosave to 5 minutes and get annoyed that every time you open the menu it pauses for a few seconds to save, you set the autosave longer or turn it off and then you get annoyed when the game crashes and you have lost loads of progress because you hadn't been into the menu and triggered a save. I saw someone on Sunday lose about 45 minutes of gameplay, because they hadn't been into the menu whilst doing several fields of seeding and then the game crashed and they were right back at the start ready to seed their first field. I was expecting them to rage quit at that point.

I'm also hosting and running a dedicated multiplayer server and notice the autosave for that is a clear timed event that does not require any interaction by the player or players. So weird how Giants have managed to implement that in Multiplayer but not for Single Player games.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

I think it is the same as it was in 19 only saving when you go into the menu which is not my definition of autosave, I cant remember if it was like that in basegame 17 or if it was a mod I ran but that saved without any player interaction.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

Savegame management to me has certainly now creeped into the top 5 worst things about FS22. Not that anything has gotten worse about it, that its so archaic.
Etcher

Post by Etcher »

I turn auto save off and save regularly. As there’s no option to create a new save I make sure to save before trying anything I’m unsure of and not saving during the trying! We need a “save as’ function.
wildberry

Post by wildberry »

Thanks guys! It's fine with me as I check my contract progress every so often. Have had 1 crash so far, and none other, pfew!
StoneTheCrows wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 amThat's the way it always worked for me on FS19 (on PS4). I stopped using it because game was so stable.
I never used it on FS19 either
MC, aka Master of Cereals
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

humbe wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:17 am saving does seem to pause the game for a while, so getting a 5 sec save hickup while driving around might annoy people.
If I recall correctly, in Breath of the Wild when you get to a specific area, it automatically saves without pausing the game for a few seconds, and it doesn't annoy people that much. Farming Simulator should have did the same thing as Breath of the Wild did. *thumbsup*
Last edited by ASOLANDRI on Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Alma, Missouri: 140 Hours
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
humbe

Post by humbe »

ASOLANDRI wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:53 am
humbe wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:17 am saving does seem to pause the game for a while, so getting a 5 sec save hickup while driving around might annoy people.
If I recall correctly, in Breath of the Wild when you get to a specific area, it automatically saves without pausing the game for a few seconds, and it doesn't annoy people that much. Farming Simulator should have did the same did as Breath of the Wild did. *thumbsup*
I think it's more of a question to streamline how they save, so they can quickly dump data of master copies taking minimum locks on stuff in game, and then await the file IO until afterwards and do the rest in the background so the player doesn't notice that the save is going on. Lets say you're saving while you're dumping a load into the silo, you would like to avoid saving the silo first, and then the trailer later and lose grain in the process, so they're locking up the game while fetching out game state. But the rest of the process could happen in the background.
hun3

Post by hun3 »

I don't use it I save manually. If only we had the F5 option like other games.