AI workers

Hossjb

Re: AI workers

Post by Hossjb »

lawm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:59 am
Hossjb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:31 am Ai just simply will not do anything properly on PS5 except fieldwork. Anything else it always says “Target is unreachable”.Complete TRASH.
You gotta select the machine then set destination then start job. Not sure if its when a worker is already going the menu is deceptive but I have yet to not make a worker work as intended on ps4.

Now I hope Giants doesnt mess with it as I am finally figuring some of it out.
DUH, That’s exactly what I do and still get error.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

Delta Pheonix wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:50 pm Can the AI Workers, work on mod maps such as the OHIO Map.

I have tried to hire a worker for field work by creating the job but as soon as I press to start the job. The green phrase states the worker has completed their job but I am still in the vehicle and it has not moved an inch.

Many Thanks

Delta
"It depends". I've tried them a few times on Calmsden Farm and noticed that they only follow 0deg, 22.5deg, 45deg etc paths. So if an edge of the field aligns (approximately) with this, then its possible to persuade the AI to do a decent proportion of the job. For example, field 7 mowing, its possible they could do about 90% of it but there will always be bits they miss.

Notice how on the default maps, the fields are mostly neatly aligned N-S or E-W? It obviously masks this issue.

Also (I don't have enough data to confirm this) if they reach the edge of a field at an acute angle (I think its under 22.5deg) then they will either carry on and hit something, or stop the job rather than interpreting it as an edge to turn and do another row.

Its a shame so many people simply cry "AI is rubbish" without actually gathering proper info, as ultimately it is useless for others.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Hossjb wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:00 pm
lawm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:59 am
Hossjb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:31 am Ai just simply will not do anything properly on PS5 except fieldwork. Anything else it always says “Target is unreachable”.Complete TRASH.
You gotta select the machine then set destination then start job. Not sure if its when a worker is already going the menu is deceptive but I have yet to not make a worker work as intended on ps4.

Now I hope Giants doesnt mess with it as I am finally figuring some of it out.
DUH, That’s exactly what I do and still get error.
It works for me....
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

AI is better-ish. I do like being able to send them to a location. It works better than I had expected with minimal baby-sitting. Field work is a step backwards for some reason. My workers have started driving up and down the fields with the implement raised at times. Other times they turn the wrong way and re-work what they just did.

Auto-tractor/combine mods were out as far back as at least FS2013 that could work irregularly-shaped fields without missing anything. Giants has no excuse at this point.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
wrs

Post by wrs »

Thankfully courseplay is out on github so no more dire Giants AI. For PC only though.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

paul_c wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:14 pm
"It depends". I've tried them a few times on Calmsden Farm and noticed that they only follow 0deg, 22.5deg, 45deg etc paths.
I think that is the real reason that Giants have never implemented more detailed multi terrain angle. They have made it slightly better in 22 than previous versions but still not as good as it can be done. More detailed MTA can be done in 22 and does not appear to cause any performance issues from what I have seen of it so far on a map I have with it installed on.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

IMHO its been done so the AI worker "snaps to" the alignment of a field, on the default maps with the aligned rectangular fields. Otherwise, if you drive the tractor there, position it at (say) 1 degree off, the AI would drive off at 1 degree and create a wedge of missed portion. The solution would be to create a more refined logic where the AI worker knows which field its on, where it is, and which edge to follow (ie an edge of a possibly curved or irregular field, or the edge of a previous pass). Also compounding the issue, when eg sowing or ploughing is drawn its only at multiples of 22.5deg (is that what you mean by MTA?)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

paul_c wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:30 am IMHO its been done so the AI worker "snaps to" the alignment of a field, on the default maps with the aligned rectangular fields. Otherwise, if you drive the tractor there, position it at (say) 1 degree off, the AI would drive off at 1 degree and create a wedge of missed portion. The solution would be to create a more refined logic where the AI worker knows which field its on, where it is, and which edge to follow (ie an edge of a possibly curved or irregular field, or the edge of a previous pass). Also compounding the issue, when eg sowing or ploughing is drawn its only at multiples of 22.5deg (is that what you mean by MTA?)
Just in case it's not come your way, MTA is commonly "Multiple Terrain Angle" in FarmSim, it was a huge thing in FS17 -- PC only as I remember.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

paul_c wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:30 amAlso compounding the issue, when eg sowing or ploughing is drawn its only at multiples of 22.5deg (is that what you mean by MTA?)
That's exactly what Multi Terrain Angle is. The game limits (probably has to) the direction at which terrain can be drawn - it doesn't limit the player or area worked, but it does limit the visual representation and since FS2013 I think it was it is linked to the hired helpers too so that they can only do fieldwork in the angles that MTA is set to (in FS2011 the hired helpers went in exactly the direction the tractor was facing, despite limited MTA).

By default on previous games we were limited to 8 angles, 45 degrees apart. (0°, 45°, 90°, 135° and so on). For PC this could be increased to 16, 32 or 64 angles, however due to script limitations on consoles it was never allowed. With FS22, after much complaining by players, GIANTS increased this to 16 angles, 22.5°apart - it could and should be better, but at least it's going in the right direction.

I'm flexible on the AI. GIANTS have said they are taking feedback and have promised to improve it in updates. I'm holding them to that. Ultimately it it also falls to modders to learn how best to make the most of the "go to" function on mod maps - but we need to see improvements and then documentation from GIANTS on how to do so.

I've not had any major issues with the AI. On Calmsden they won't drive from the shop to the farm, but if you move the vehicle a few yards onto the road they will drive to close to both farms - they won't be able to use either of the silos to sell goods. I think realistic maps, especially narrow maps like Calmsden, will always present a challenge to AI, but with more work from GIANTS and maybe a future map update there aren't any real excuses for it not to work the most basic of tasks.

While the "go to" function ought to improve over FS22's life the big changes I want to see is better AI support in the fields. There's been very little in the way of improvements to the AI approach to fieldwork for years, so it has to be a focus for GIANTS - hopefully for FS22. Unnecessarily big arcs and driving through crops while turning need to be a thing of the past, with GIANTS instead watching how tractors and combines operate, use headlands and turn in the real world and adapting or ideally rebuilding an AI around that.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

this_is_gav wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:05 am
paul_c wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:30 amAlso compounding the issue, when eg sowing or ploughing is drawn its only at multiples of 22.5deg (is that what you mean by MTA?)

By default on previous games we were limited to 8 angles, 45 degrees apart. (0°, 45°, 90°, 135° and so on). For PC this could be increased to 16, 32 or 64 angles, however due to script limitations on consoles it was never allowed. With FS22, after much complaining by players, GIANTS increased this to 16 angles, 22.5°apart - it could and should be better, but at least it's going in the right direction.

It's 32 on the map I have currently got access to,from what I was told it is easier to implement than it was in 19.
PATSKING11

Post by PATSKING11 »

Im honestly tired on AI workers jumping fields onto others that I did not set them onto. They then uproot progress of a growing field. How hard is it to keep an AI worker on one field when the player selects it for them. kinda ridiculous