Is there any cloud save feature for giants / retail fs22?

farmermas

Is there any cloud save feature for giants / retail fs22?

Post by farmermas »

Or is it back to the dark ages and manual copy?

They should have included a floppy disk with the collectors edition not a usb lamp. Guess i've learned my lesson. Its mindboggling that you have to...
raran

Re: Is there any cloud save feature for giants / retail fs22?

Post by raran »

That's why Steam is such a beautifull concept.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

farmermas wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:02 am Or is it back to the dark ages and manual copy?

They should have included a floppy disk with the collectors edition not a usb lamp. Guess i've learned my lesson. Its mindboggling that you have to...
Who would you expect to pay for the cloud storage?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

If you don't want to use Steam's Cloud (which works fine, but only savegames and game.xml files for example - not your mods folder - then you could easily set up a quick script to backup to a Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive folder.

In theory you could do this with symbolic links, but I've read some reports of OneDrive conflicting with FS22, corrupting savegames, so if you're going to try this then make a manual backup of your FarmingSimulator2022 folder first.
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

Who in the world still has a floppy disk drive???

I diden't even bothering putting a cd rom on my new computer...

Also Steam... I hate it when I have to buy a game anywhere else.
PC gamer.
allstops

Post by allstops »

Could be solved if the game allowed you to choose your file save location, I thought I would be able to do that but it turns out you can't. I thought if I could just save it in a folder in my One Drive it would sync between my computers, but alas no. Next time it's Steam or Epic, no more of this direct purchase stuff - slow patch download, no cloud save. I was trying to help Giants keep a little more of the money I spent on the game but it's not worth it.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

allstops wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:11 pm Could be solved if the game allowed you to choose your file save location, I thought I would be able to do that but it turns out you can't. I thought if I could just save it in a folder in my One Drive it would sync between my computers, but alas no. Next time it's Steam or Epic, no more of this direct purchase stuff - slow patch download, no cloud save. I was trying to help Giants keep a little more of the money I spent on the game but it's not worth it.
My last-but one new PC decided that ALL of My Documents should be automatically saved on OneDrive ... which meant the FS19 mods folder .. resulting in stuffed up OneDrive, numerous come-ons to buy extra OneDrive space and, from me, a lot of swearing to finally get the damn thing sorted out. Next time I didn't make the same mistake.

TL;DR it's easy to backup savegames OneDrive

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
allstops

Post by allstops »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:06 pm
My last-but one new PC decided that ALL of My Documents should be automatically saved on OneDrive ... which meant the FS19 mods folder .. resulting in stuffed up OneDrive, numerous come-ons to buy extra OneDrive space and, from me, a lot of swearing to finally get the damn thing sorted out. Next time I didn't make the same mistake.

when windows backs up the documents folder it's just a backup, it's not a common place that all your One Drive connected computers reference, and you can't change where FS decides to locate your save so you can't get it into a folder in One Drive (or whatever cloud platform) that is common across all computers. I use One Drive primarily because I get 3Gb as part of my Office 365 subscription.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

allstops wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:37 am
blue_painted wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:06 pm

when windows backs up the documents folder it's just a backup, it's not a common place that all your One Drive connected computers reference, and you can't change where FS decides to locate your save so you can't get it into a folder in One Drive (or whatever cloud platform) that is common across all computers. I use One Drive primarily because I get 3Gb as part of my Office 365 subscription.
There was an issue, I forgot who had it, that OneDrive synching caused slow-down and stutters.

strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Google sounds better to me, I get 15 GB of free storage. Also you can change mod folder location in game.xml so they wont get synced if mods take up too much space.
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

allstops wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:37 am when windows backs up the documents folder it's just a backup, it's not a common place that all your One Drive connected computers reference, and you can't change where FS decides to locate your save so you can't get it into a folder in One Drive (or whatever cloud platform) that is common across all computers. I use One Drive primarily because I get 3Gb as part of my Office 365 subscription.
As I said earlier you can change the location of the FarmingSimulator2022 folder using a symbolic link if you want to, though as I and you said do so with caution and do some testing if you want to point it towards a live cloud folder.
farmermas

Post by farmermas »

this_is_gav wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:57 am If you don't want to use Steam's Cloud (which works fine, but only savegames and game.xml files for example - not your mods folder - then you could easily set up a quick script to backup to a Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive folder.

In theory you could do this with symbolic links, but I've read some reports of OneDrive conflicting with FS22, corrupting savegames, so if you're going to try this then make a manual backup of your FarmingSimulator2022 folder first.
Fast forward to today, yeah i just wrote a small applescript, displays 3 options, start the game, overwrite the local save from cloud folder or copy the save to the cloud folder.

Problem solved so more than a lowering of goodwill to giants there's no point in thinking about it further. I'll make a point to buy fs 24 on deep sale rather than preorder to compensate (and certainly after so many years of playing there's no advantage to being on the latest).

Also just in case this helps, the mods folder works fine as a symbolic link (in case you have multiple os installs on the same machine and want to save space.. like i do, facepalm), but savegames do not! Using a symbolic link for the "savegame1" directory didn't see the save for loading. Must be multiple people / teams coding there i think. Having said.. might be worth trying to symbolically link the entire AppSupport/Farming Simulator folder.. maybe that will work.. hmmm..

EDIT: Seems that linking the entire Application Support/Farming Simulator 2022 folder works.. this would also be even better. Pending testing.

EDIT2: Just thought of a problem, this will only work on one machine.. whatever means giants use to verify activation is also stored in that folder, so there will probably be issues with the same folder over multiple machines. Another thing you don't have to worry about with steam. Giants should have just written a password on each page of the manual and asked for the right word every time it loaded the game. Such forward thinking!
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Yeah symbolic links for the savegame folders themselves would only cause issues, but a symbolic link for the FarmingSimulator2022 folder itself worked fine for me.
aklein

Post by aklein »

With the reference to applescript this might not help all but I use a sudo manual process to backup my saves. Its not automatic like a true cloud save feature and I dont really like sync clients like on drive or google drive as I get concerned over corrupted files as a result of these auto syncs.

But one thing to note is that in your FarmingSimulator22 folder there is a savegameBackup folder where the game auto zips your recent saves to. Its not a proper backup in that its not on separate systems and ideally in separate geographical locations but its a start. What I use though is a quick little windows app that allows you to backup and recover save games quickly. It lists all your save games and color codes the ones that have changed since your last backup. with a click of a button you can backup the savegame to a location that you specify or recover a savegame from that location. I set my savegame backup location to be network storage but it can very simply also be setup to be a folder that is synced with a cloud provider and that is going to be less prone to corruption as its not being changed with great frequency.

Sure its not automatic and thats what everyone wants but it does let you fairly quickly backup a save and recover a save. The tool time/date stamps so you can have as many versions old backup that you want to keep. I use it most frequently to restore my mod testing save to a known point.

Here is my how to video on getting and using the tool. - https://youtube.com/watch?v=m6zCEStoAOc ... H&index=72