Landscaping is shockingly bad!!!

roberto230580

Landscaping is shockingly bad!!!

Post by roberto230580 »

Having played every FS since it began this is the most disappointing start I've ever had. I only just bought it as i wanted to wait for courseplay, so i start on Elm creek and the graphics are off, managed to improve them but its still blurry. The UI is awkward and not user friendly at all! NO clear pathways and seems like the new features have been thrown in to the menu options. If your going to add features you have to make them user friendly.

So I start my game and I'm farming for about ten mins. Then I decided to work on my yard. Sold the old hay barn and garage to get some money and space for new ones, what a mistake. WHYWHYWHY? does removing a building leave these ridiculous bomb holes? IS that realistic? Or just something for the 5 yr olds to do!

I spend the next hour trying to raise and level the holes for new buildings and i have got no where!! The holes are actually worse now than an hour ago. Ive watched videos on it and nothing helps, I did enough landscaping on FS 19 to know how it works yet im getting no where. I didn't buy this game to be filling in holes for hours on end. I bought this game to go farming!

There must be an option in the future to leave the landscape flat after you remove a building!! That is what happens in REAL life. So we can actually do the things we want to do like farming and growing a farm business! PLEASE change this pointless aspect of the game to being OPTIONAL!
TomTom996

Re: Landscaping is shockingly bad!!!

Post by TomTom996 »

All I can say is PRACTICE. I suggest you make a random new savegame and learn there how different landscaping tools works. I was also angry about this feature, but once you get around how it works, its pretty good.
duncan_101

Post by duncan_101 »

the holes meant the building had a cellar ofo some kind most likely.

but really the landscaping isn't that bad if you ask me. like tomtom says practice practice practice
Happly farming in Fryslan.
On an Asus RoG laptop.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Filling the holes on Elm Creek took no more than 10 minutes. Why are you trying to raise and lower the ground? One of the options is a levelling tool.

Select that, click on a piece of land next to the hole at the level you want then drag the cursor over the hole. The only time you may have an issue is if you have vehicles/tools or yourself too close to where you are landscaping.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:36 pm Filling the holes on Elm Creek took no more than 10 minutes. Why are you trying to raise and lower the ground? One of the options is a levelling tool.

Select that, click on a piece of land next to the hole at the level you want then drag the cursor over the hole. The only time you may have an issue is if you have vehicles/tools or yourself too close to where you are landscaping.
That’s all you need to do with the Elmcreek barn? The leveling tool removes the lower level? Because that’s what I’ll do. That barn is all but useless. Way too tight inside for vehicles. And multilevel to boot.
Demonitron

Post by Demonitron »

Echoing what others have said, there is literally a levelling tool that takes seconds to flatten out the hole left by the house. Also. It is only the house that does that, no other buildings leave craters.

As mentioned by duncan_101, the house probably had a basement/cellar. You say that in "real life" if you remove a house the ground is flat...but yeah, not if there is a big hole under said house!

Landscaping really isn't that bad, aside from it being very expensive if you get into doing something heavy. I am currently in the process of making the northern part of No Man's Land usable, for example.

Sounds to me like you just haven't got used to the controls/tools, rage quit & came on here to moan about them before you did.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

LittleWatt wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:49 pm
Rasping rabbit wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:36 pm Filling the holes on Elm Creek took no more than 10 minutes. Why are you trying to raise and lower the ground? One of the options is a levelling tool.

That’s all you need to do with the Elmcreek barn? The leveling tool removes the lower level? Because that’s what I’ll do. That barn is all but useless. Way too tight inside for vehicles. And multilevel to boot.
It’s all I did. Make there is nothing near them just use the level tool, select the ground level and drag it over the hole. The only problem with the barn is the rear doorway is on the lower Ievel, I think I just smoothed the edges at the rear and it made it a little neater.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Great. I’ll jump on it soon and erase that building. And the water tank. I found out it can be sold.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

LittleWatt wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:29 pm Great. I’ll jump on it soon and erase that building. And the water tank. I found out it can be sold.
I’m fairly sure in the starter farm on elmcreek pretty much everything can be sold, even the bridges across the water and the swing set in the garden. It’s been a while since I was on the map.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

I just started the game 10 days ago. I use Elmcreek as a way to familiarize myself with the new game mechanics. (I completely skipped FS19.)It’s the only map I’ve started as a New Farmer. It’s not a great map.
jeremyj621

Post by jeremyj621 »

Of the base game maps, I think Elm Creek is the best since it has 4 farms to choose from if you start a game on medium or hard difficulty, and the decorative buildings on those farms can be sold and replaced by something more useful. Haut-Beyleron and Erlengrat each only have one main farm on the map, so there are fewer options on the harder difficulty levels as to where to set up.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Personally I found Elmcreek the best base game map to play on even compared against fs17 & fs19. I like the look of Erlengrat but I didn’t enjoy actually playing on it. Elmcreek I had hours of fun on for a number of reasons really.
roberto230580

Post by roberto230580 »

Well thank for the replies, I went back and tried again, realised that the vehicles nearby were preventing it from landscaping...? I also didn't realise they were the only buildings that left a crater, the thought of having to landscape a huge hole every time was not my idea of good gaming. Not to mention the cost. Sell a building and pay the same amount back to level the ground....

Yes I did rage quit lol but don't forget from where i was standing it wasn't the start i hoped for in a new game which has been 3-4 years in the making. Im going to hold judgement until I've had more time to adjust graphics (looks a bit cartoony) and get to grips with the ui.

ps. I had a less stressful day on my farm today than I did on farm sim - Irony
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

The smooth tool is a real let down compared to FS19, it’s takes forever just to smooth a tiny section and I used the smooth tool a lot when making maps on NML in FS19, I was able to make BallinCraig with all its hills but it would be close to impossible with this new landscape tool
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw