Talk About Expensive - The South Mill

deerefarm

Talk About Expensive - The South Mill

Post by deerefarm »

I'm sure the wise players have already looked at the price of buying products at the southern mill but for the rest of us, wow talk about expensive.
I was working on the profitability of various productions and construction projects for my upcoming productions video. Anyway I went to the Southern Sawmill to buy some planks and I noticed the price. It was like a slap in the face. I know we're in a time of massive inflation and price hikes but WOW, you pay a 1/3 more for a product than you can sell it at, at the optimal time of the year.
If you're using the Southern Sawmill to buy products at to pay for other productions or construction projects. STOP.

Hopefully this will help save some people some money. Assuming you're playing the game normally and not using money cheats and don't care about prices.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Frozen Catalyst

Re: Talk About Expensive - The South Mill

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Do remember that you need to shell out and purchase the other production points if you wish to make those products yourself.

Those are not inexpensive…
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

I'm looking at the big picture here and the opportunity cost in the long term. If you're desperate to get the construction points going then by all means use the Southern Sawmill cost be darned. But if you want to do it economically then you should buy the production point and do it your self. The same goes for the other production points that require these inputs. Do you really want to purchase a pallet of planks at a premium, and then put them into a production where you are essentially going to sell the output for the same price at the purchase price of the inputs?? To me that doesn't make economical sense. I should be making the inputs at a low cost and then using them somewhere else. Maybe I'm missing something. But to me in base game terms it's like purchasing say wool at "full" price and then selling it to to a spinnery. The logical thing to do long term is buy the sheep and barn, then produce my wool, and then send it to the spinnery...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Southern Mill should be short term as needed supply point. Not a, I'm rely on it for my input needs.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
Frozen Catalyst

Post by Frozen Catalyst »

Yes, it’s about your objective and also real playtime sunk into this.

For me, on console, so far it’s quicker to process wood and load the containers and sell them. Than it is to load logging trailers and transport those to mills then continue to do that to by all the production points required before even thinking about the construction part.

Also, I don’t think the roller coaster produces something that is on sold? (I haven’t progressed very far) So I don’t think the example of “paying for an input at a higher cost to generate the same in output” stacks up.
Xbox One |FS22| Holmåkra