Vehicle Glows in the Dark

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
JDMFarms

Vehicle Glows in the Dark

Post by JDMFarms »

Modders,

I'm working to learn how to update textures (actually, how to texture all together) and learned a lot so far. Not sure what I did but I somehow dipped my tanker into a vat of nuclear sludge since it glows in the dark. Actually it looks better in the dark as in day time it gets a bit washed out.

I remembered back in former modding days, I left an open light source in an i3d and that caused the extra light but i cant find an extra light source in this one.

THoughts? Thanks.

JDM

Dogface

Re: Vehicle Glows in the Dark

Post by Dogface »

That's weird.

You can see lights in GE by right-clicking inside the Viewport, then click Show then click Lights. They would appear as arrows or cones.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Dogface wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:47 pm That's weird.

You can see lights in GE by right-clicking inside the Viewport, then click Show then click Lights. They would appear as arrows or cones.
I first have to say, Dogface you got lots of props in the one video i watched and learned from. I'm sure you know who that is.

To your point here though, yea, i use that 'show' feature in GE and all the ones in there are for the light system.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

JDMFarms wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:15 pm I first have to say, Dogface you got lots of props in the one video i watched and learned from. I'm sure you know who that is.
Yeah, bdbssb does a lot of good tutorial videos.
https://www.youtube.com/@bdbssb77
Mods
https://bdbssb3.wixsite.com/mods
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

What exactly are you changing? It looks like the entire truck is lit up, rather than one part. textures, materials?

Also, a light would probably light up the surrounding area.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Dogface wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:12 pm What exactly are you changing? It looks like the entire truck is lit up, rather than one part. textures, materials?

Also, a light would probably light up the surrounding area.
Trying to remember here with this reply, ive done so much in trying to trouble shoot, i cant remember exactly the change that caused it.

2 current goals...
1) was try and update the graphics files to modern specs for allowing color options/dirt/wear, which i've learned the game pretty much no longer wraps objects with diffuses...it uses materials for all faces now it appears but i'm still drilling into that.

2) this is where the brightness has come in...I exported the vis cube to a wave.ojb and imported into blender to remove the windshield wipers (thinking they were supposed to be separate dynamic loaded obj). exported back to GE (i wasnt able to do via i3d at the time so I used the fbx export since I saw GE took those. Got it back into GE, reloaded the diffuse to wrap the graphics back into place, loaded shadder, etc. It looked a lot cleaner than before but way brighter for some reason.

Since last night, i did see where bdbssb showed how to manipulate materials in the xml so I added a data point to my xml to make the base material painted metal...that helped tone the gloss down but still way to bright.

Today, I'm figuring out how to get blender to export i3d files and just succeeded in that thanks to StjerneIdioten on github. Now, Im going to try and work on dissecting the object into a few different materials (cab, tank, interrior, etc)

This is pretty much an object Im using to learn how to model/texture for GE.
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

Wow, it sounds like you have come a long way and covered a lot of areas. Congratz.

The glowing truck is probably a shader or material problem. I have never run into it, so I wouldn't worry about it if this is just a test project. There will be plenty of real frustration in your real projects.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Dogface wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:04 pm Wow, it sounds like you have come a long way and covered a lot of areas. Congratz.

The glowing truck is probably a shader or material problem. I have never run into it, so I wouldn't worry about it if this is just a test project. There will be plenty of real frustration in your real projects.
Thx. yea, much more progress this time than in years past.

I'm pretty sure its a combo, mat and shadder issue. too few mats and a gross misunderstanding of how to use the vehicle shadder. But, practice makes perfect.

please confirm, assigning materials is a basic art (blender) thing, not a giants thing exclusive thing. right?
Dogface

Post by Dogface »

JDMFarms wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:30 am please confirm, assigning materials is a basic art (blender) thing, not a giants thing exclusive thing. right?
If you are talking about UDIM, the new color system that Giants uses, then yes, it is a universal thing.

https://youtu.be/f0_w5kW3cXw
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Dogface wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:13 am
JDMFarms wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:30 am please confirm, assigning materials is a basic art (blender) thing, not a giants thing exclusive thing. right?
If you are talking about UDIM, the new color system that Giants uses, then yes, it is a universal thing.

https://youtu.be/f0_w5kW3cXw
I'll watch that vid a few times but im talking about assigning facegroup1 in blender to mat1, facegroup2 to mat2, etc, etc. if that makes better sense. thx again.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

You may find it worthwhile to obtain a copy of the Farming Simulator Modding Tutorials Version 5, it will answer a lot of your qustions and explain fully Giants nethod of texturing vehicles etc

https://farming-simulator.com/dlc-detai ... d=fs22mt50
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

TheSuBBie wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 am You may find it worthwhile to obtain a copy of the Farming Simulator Modding Tutorials Version 5, it will answer a lot of your qustions and explain fully Giants nethod of texturing vehicles etc

https://farming-simulator.com/dlc-detai ... d=fs22mt50
Thx for the referral. 5 bucks seems like a good deal; only thing im skeptical on is tutorials from giants in the past seemed too fundamental for me. Imma see based on your "it will answer a lot of your questions..." pushnote.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

well. after much experimentation, i got my truck to stop glowing the in the dark thanks to all the various hints/tips/guides given to my posts. Basically, remapping the shade nodes in blender then export helps greatly vs exporting the objects and making the materials/mapping in the i3d.

I think i can now say I'm in Blender Middle School. hahahah. lots of practice doing the shade nodes this week.