Noob question: cultivate vs seedbed and contracts

Helazak

Noob question: cultivate vs seedbed and contracts

Post by Helazak »

The smaller cultivators all have the same info message. “A cultivator prepares the fields for the next sowing.” After using the field graphics show fresh dirt.
All the larger cultivators have a different description “Shallow cultivators are used for shallow cultivation or seed bed creation of fields.” After using the field graphics show stubble.

Other than that I don’t see any functional difference between the two. The map shows different colors for cultivated vs seedbed but how does it affect planting?

Also, some cultivation contracts give you credit regardless if which one you use while others specifically give credit to cultivation not seedbed prep but there is no way to tell in the contract description.

Am I missing something obvious?

(Similar issue, a subsoiler is described as can be used instead of a plow but you can't use one for a plow contract?)
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Noraf

Re: Noob question: cultivate vs seedbed and contracts

Post by Noraf »

Regarding the subsoiler in plowing contracts, you're contracted to plow, not subsoil, and that is why.
Both will loosen up the soil, the plow in a much more aggressive way.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

Are you asking if you can use a subsoiler on plowing contracts? Or are you why you cannot use a subsoiler for plowing contracts?
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Noraf wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:24 am Regarding the subsoiler in plowing contracts, you're contracted to plow, not subsoil, and that is why.
Both will loosen up the soil, the plow in a much more aggressive way.
I like the cultiplow subsoiler so i mod'd it into a plow w/ cultivator functions. clears both layers at same time now for me which i think subsoilers did. I am now waiting for a plow contract to test. curious if contracts recognize custom vehicle types or does it blatenly have to have plain plow type.

I have something else to add to it since the AI driver starts over when he gets to the other side, other than that, it works great for what i want.

i grew up with a farmer who made his own plow and wasnt an inline plow like these base game plows. makes for easy square plowing. seems more natural to me. can do anything with a welder, enough metal stock, and a big enough tractor.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

I have never seen a subsoiler contract and have not seen anything in the game that suggests “I need a subsoiler to solve this problem”. So I don't see them having a purpose in the game other than variety.

Same with deep cultivation vs shallow. I have noticed a trend though. If I start a cultivation contract with a shallow cultivator it will fulfill the contract. However, if I have my deep cultivator help with the field it will reject the shallow cultivation and I will have to do the whole field with deep. Need to do some more testing on that to confirm. But the graphics are different between deep, shallow and shallow after deep.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

These different tools are in the game because they do different things in real life. As was said, subsoilers are not plows. You won’t get a subsoiler job as the game doesn’t differentiate the importance between subsoilers or plows aside from subsoilers not coded for field creation. Best thing is do a bit of research to find out what implement works best for what job.

Deep and shallow cultivation is different. In the game to only real difference relates to stones, and Precision Farming if you’re using that. Shallow cultivation won’t draw up stones.