Physics

timmy333

Physics

Post by timmy333 »

How many iterations of this are we on now but still the bales explode into space when you drive another 2 bales within a car length lol.
I shouldn't be to hard on you guys though as were the same haha you nor I can code....
I guess at least we got your 1/3rd complete version of seasons though mmmm
oh and the season pass that didn't include all the dlc for the games first year.
Drmattymd

Re: Physics

Post by Drmattymd »

Havent had any problems with bales exploding into space at all.

They never said the game included Seasons, they said it had seasonal cycles.

The season pass did include all Giants dlc's released in the first year. The only dlc not included was not made by Giants.
Playing on PC and PS4
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

I wonder if people having bales exploding into space as they say are playing with their fps unlocked?
Ive had bales shaking and doing little nervous dances when stacked, but never exploding. But then I'm playing with 60fps locked as the physics get wonky with higher framerates. Many other games have the same problem, physics get wired when playing with higher fps than intended.
timmy333

Post by timmy333 »

Running @ 50 - 55fps @3840 x 1600
Eische

Post by Eische »

I also never ever face those bale explosions either. But sure, there are occasions where its happening.

Without detailed knowledge about the physics system Giants is using, it is very hard to judge about it and find possible factors that seem to influence this.
Real time physics in a game commonly is done using rigid bodies. Especially if you want to have interactions with multiple (dozens, hundreds, ...) of bodies at the same time. Otherwise you will face significant impact on your performance.
The bodies (or best to say their collision shape) also should be as simple as possible to reduce complexity.

As far as I can see, Giants uses the common approach keeping limited performance of old gen consoles and low spec PCs in mind.
Is it perfect? No, as we can see in various instances. But from a game you just can not expect a perfect physics simulation involving such high number of objects.

The way bales behave, is the default approach to deal with many bodies in the same scene. They are only "activated" once the player comes close to them and frozen while player is too far away.
Contact between rigid bodies is typically realized using the spring force approach where contact stiffness (spring stiffness) and penetration (soring deformation) will determine the contact force. As penetration should stay close to zero, your contact stiffness needs to be quite high depending on the actual mass of the objects. Not sure if contact stiffness is a fixed value or if it can vary depending on circumstances.
Assuming it is constant, contact forces can be very high the more bales you stack onto each other.

Coming back to the frozen state:
I don't know how this works exactly. But if bales come out of the frozen state and there is a small penetration in this exact moment, contact equation will try to get this penetration to zero again, which will results in a high force which can lead to those explosions.

Maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in here.

And to answer the potential question:
I don't think it is possible to have different level on accuracy in physics engine based on your hardware spec.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker