Help with making a mod

UNSE RANGER

Help with making a mod

Post by UNSE RANGER »

Hello I’m looking for someone that can help me finish up a mod that I’m making I have most of the xml file finished, but don’t know what else to do as this is my first ever mod. It’s just a simple script mod. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
fenixguy

Re: Help with making a mod

Post by fenixguy »

Maybe post in the modding section. You might get more help there.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

FS modding 101: the word script is reserved only for crafting new specializations through the use of .lua files. Otherwise, you are compiling existing specializations through the use of xml files.

thats my limited understanding and i hinge on the word script as a junior coder.

yes, post in the modding board and be more specific: type of mod (vehicle, placeable, etc), what your modification is to it if its mod'g a basegame item, etc.
UNSE RANGER

Post by UNSE RANGER »

Thanks I will look into that. To be more specific it’s just a script to add a button mapping for console players to have hazard lights. I managed to find a button combo just don’t know how to write it all up. Lol
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Well, if it's a script to help consoles, I got news for you....
Scripts aren't allowed on consoles
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Good point Noraf. that should be part of Mod'g 101 2.0 fundamentals
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

JDMFarms wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 pm FS modding 101: the word script is reserved only for crafting new specializations through the use of .lua files.
What? Script means a lua program. For example, More Animal Husbandries is a script. It is not a new specialization.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Giants though calls new functons 'specializations.' Yes, it will take a new lua to modify an existing specialization. the word program i think is misused in your statement but that may be a regional translation issue. I dont know you and your level of tech so you may be using it in lay terms...i dont know.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

So what is More Animal Husbandries? I agree, "program" probably isn't correct since it isn't self-contained. That's why "script" seems more appropriate.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Script is appropriate for lua files. however, many call the xml files scripts. have since the dawn of FS and probably will for the full lifecycle. Thats why i say it is fundamental to learn the difference when becoming an FS mod'r; especially since consoles cannot process them.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

Right, a script isn't an XML file. It isn't a new specialization either, though FS implements those through scripts.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

are you a programmer? not trying to call you out...genuinely trying to understand where you are coming from. I'm in tech industry...a computer program apprentice and have been a developer for 2 decades, self-taught programmer for 3/4 decade, official apprentice for 1 yr. not saying that to compare egos, just letting you know where i'm coming from. now...

what is a script? what does a script do? from my perspective, they are used to make functions/methods/classes/loops/etc. now apply that to this game and its framework and its author's language. Giants, from my observations, due to maybe a language barrier, calls new features a specialization. therefore, scripts can create new specializations. scripts can alter basegame specializations. to be clear, there are vehicle specializations, placeable specializations, husbandry specializations, etc. I do concede many features (e.g. HUD) is print display of data objects and that may not be viewed as a specialization.

again, this is my observation of Giant's use of the word specialization in context of the game's variables/classes/methods/functions. All in all, i think you and i have a very similar understanding of scripts and their use.

shout-out: for what its worth, Russ Peterson (FS-UK Admin) actually inspired me to get into programming study.