FS22 and FS23 mentioned on Last Week Tonight

JDMFarms

FS22 and FS23 mentioned on Last Week Tonight

Post by JDMFarms »

Anyone watch John Oliver's Last week tonight? The latest episode is about ag labor and he mentioned FS22 in the beginning and FS13 in the end. I only mention it here because, who ever did the (I'll say offensive mod) mod for FS23 (i assume not in FS engine) has some good skills they could make a lot of money if they wanted to making FS22 mods.
coleislazy

Re: FS22 and FS23 mentioned on Last Week Tonight

Post by coleislazy »

it was pretty great. the way the actual game was presented at the top was fairly positive, while poking a little fun at the idea. but the way they used a fictional version of the game at the end to highlight all the problems they talked about during the segment was brilliant!
Farmer525

Post by Farmer525 »

coleislazy wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:18 pm it was pretty great. the way the actual game was presented at the top was fairly positive, while poking a little fun at the idea. but the way they used a fictional version of the game at the end to highlight all the problems they talked about during the segment was brilliant!
Yes I also saw it and was very surprised to see FS22 on display like that! It is fair to assume that they only had a general idea of the game and community but overall yes I think they presented it in a fairly good way. (Note though that whilst many never have or will cultivate a field some players actually have and do but at least many now have a greater interest in potentially doing so.) Farming Simulator is unique amongst video games in that it has an unusually broad demographic appeal. Some games are made for kids, others are for adults. FS bridges that divide very well and I know that it has even brought some senior citizens into gaming. Giants knows this and as such always has to walk that fine line between "game" and "simulator" which I think they do very well. Every rendition has allowed you to either go even more full game or play with more realism added to the mix (especially with mods)

With that said the focus of the shows segment was of course on the far more pressing matter of field worker abuse which is all too well known. The only thing that was really new to me was finding out when the minimum wage laws went into effect that they carved out exceptions for agricultural labor. They simply used the game as a springboard to get some points across.

The end segment had me floored with laughter with the character selection and the following "Mini-game". I was amazed to see a near perfect copy of the in-game menus being used and I don't know if Giants helped with the segment at all or if it was considered fair use parody. The segment with the models in the fields definitely wasn't FS22 though. Considering what they did for the Precision Farming mod I could certainly see Giants lending a hand in order to help raise awareness.

I think one of the more subtle touches during that final segment was when the kid took one bite out of an apple and threw the rest away in the trash which I feel is something that happens all too often and they were absolutely correct. We need to think about the people who put in so much work and effort to get the food to us.
Proudly playing since FS13
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Anyone have a link to this clip, or can point to a specific episode number for us to look up?
Eische

Post by Eische »

Urinal2001 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:45 am Anyone have a link to this clip, or can point to a specific episode number for us to look up?
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41vETgarh_8
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
Martinw89

Post by Martinw89 »