Why doesn't Giants just make A definitive version of farming simulator.

Stegei
GIANTS Software | CTO

Re: Why doesn't Giants just make A definitive version of farming simulator.

Post by Stegei »

There are still a lot of graphical improvements we want to make. But also a lot of gameplay features.
And a lot of of those features are just not compatible with existing savegames, mods, etc.
So the main reason for creating new versions instead of continuously upgrading one, as mentioned by Eische, is that it gives us a very clear point where we are able to break a lot of that compatibility and ideally provide an easy upgrade path for mods.

Also multiplayer would be a nightmare if we would end up with hundreds of different dlcs over the years where everyone needs to make sure they own the same ones, etc.
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

This is a terrible narrow minded idea IMHO.
Mary Of Bethany

Post by Mary Of Bethany »

^ Agreed.
Instead of "a lot of gameplay features", how about updating the existing features.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Mary Of Bethany wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:48 pm ^ Agreed.
Instead of "a lot of gameplay features", how about updating the existing features.
I havent looked to see if they are published yet but maybe the recent survey they took will give us the answer to this. I presume there are still lots of desired features to add while a lesser majority wants existing features enhanced. will see.
Mary Of Bethany

Post by Mary Of Bethany »

JDMFarms wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 6:56 pm
Mary Of Bethany wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:48 pm ^ Agreed.
I havent looked to see if they are published yet but maybe the recent survey they took will give us the answer to this. I presume there are still lots of desired features to add while a lesser majority wants existing features enhanced. will see.
By "updating the existing features" I meant "complete the existing features". When they add a feature, it should be implemented from start to end before moving on to another feature.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

By "updating the existing features" I meant "complete the existing features".
Totally agree, it would be nice if even the simpler things were completed, like the fact the trees turn in autmn, leaves fall off but the hedges stay green and the meadow flowers (all flowers in fact) are in full bloom in snow.

I get the distinct impression everything is done in a rush to publish regardless of the games state.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

How about instead of adding new features....fix the physics, I'm tired of walking over an unhooked tension belt and levitating or dare I mention cranes and pallet forks?
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Mary Of Bethany wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:04 am

By "updating the existing features" I meant "complete the existing features". When they add a feature, it should be implemented from start to end before moving on to another feature.
From an end user and even some developers stand point, that is the desired out put... but from a production stand point, getting a minimal viable product out there is much more beneficial for all sides. But yes, they have to grow from there, not completely abandon it.

I worked with a system once and our community there was similar to the player community here. We wanted it to be all or nothing and the project manager wouldnt let new features go live until it was 100%...we spent decades waiting for things using archaic software to do our jobs. I'd hate to see FS run like that.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

TheSuBBie wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:25 pm
By "updating the existing features" I meant "complete the existing features".
Totally agree, it would be nice if even the simpler things were completed, like the fact the trees turn in autmn, leaves fall off but the hedges stay green and the meadow flowers (all flowers in fact) are in full bloom in snow.
I'm afraid this is depending on the map, I'm playing on Erlengrat right now, hedges are turning orange, meadows also having a different state without flowers in winter. So this is not something to blame Giants about, but the mapmaker.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

hedges are turning orange,
I think you will find that they are not the hedges I am refering to the ones I am refering to are the decoBush foliage hedges like blueberry,hazelnut etc, which I believe are deciduous

I did notice however that the meadow flowers disappeared completely on the first of December (way after they normally should have died off).