Updating PC Mods

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Dairydeere

Updating PC Mods

Post by Dairydeere »

So, I have a bunch of PC mods downloaded and I am seeing updates coming out for some of them on the third party websites I got them from. Do I need to download them again to get the update or do they show an update in the mods section of my game?
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
juf.de

Re: Updating PC Mods

Post by juf.de »

3rd party is 3rd party and not affiliated with Giants in any way, so obviously you can't update them through the ingame mod hub.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

So do I download them again?
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Happy farming!
Way2drunk2walk

Post by Way2drunk2walk »

Yes, download and put in mods folder. Make sure the name is the same or you will have 2 versions and not know which is newer.
"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may." Samuel Houston
Farming on PC
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Ok. I think it will ask me if I want to replace the file when I do it, but thanks for the help. I've got to update my Chevy pickup when I get home, its got a sweet update :thumbsup:

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Something else worth considering is having separate mod folders for different savegames and only having one active at a time,it will save having a load of mods cluttering up the game and maybe slowing down your pc. I mentioned it as noticed you are new to the game on pc and it is a habit i have now gotten into as my mod folder was a mess.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

So do I put multiple folders in the “mods” folder, or do I create multiple folders like “mods1” “mods2” etc?

Discord Server
Facebook page

Happy farming!
CombineBert

Post by CombineBert »

Create multiples, I prefix with map name when not using like Greenwich_Mods LoneOak_Mods etc, then remove the prefix when playing that save. remembering to rename with the prefix when moving to another save game.

I also have my mods folder(s) on a different drive to save space.

You can have a single folder with common mods in, like Seasons for example, and symbolic link those into your mod folders. Then you only have the one copy rather than multiples. There are posts in this forum on the subject.

Also there are mod manager programs that will let you manage multiple mod folders via a GUI, again, there already posts here on that subject a quick search away. :biggrin2:
Platform: WIN 10 | Game Version: PC Steam
Devices: Logitech G29 Wheel, pedals & shifter | Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick | Stream Deck

Current FS19 Maps:
Ravensburg - 9 Day Seasons
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

CombineBert wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:47 pm
Also there are mod manager programs that will let you manage multiple mod folders via a GUI, again, there already posts here on that subject a quick search away. :biggrin2:
All the mod manager mods appear to be non-functional and no-longer-supported.

Just adding this to hopefully save time for anyone looking for them.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Steel_Horse

Post by Steel_Horse »

TheGazbeard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:24 pm
CombineBert wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:47 pm
All the mod manager mods appear to be non-functional and no-longer-supported.

Just adding this to hopefully save time for anyone looking for them.
Thats a strange thing to say.

I use FSG Mod Assistant which I find to be fantastic. Not only is it supported but it has probably had 20 updates in the past 6 months alone almost all of which added little tweaks of function. There are also several helpful vids on how to get started using it.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

It's not strange at all. Everyone's experience is different. Mine is that I have been unable to find a supported mods manager mod. Certainly there is not one on modhub and I'm not in the habit of allowing script executables from unknown/unverified authors onto my PC.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard