Farming Simulator 22 - Dedicated server licensing

Delirious1983

Farming Simulator 22 - Dedicated server licensing

Post by Delirious1983 »

Hi,

I have purchased the full game via steam and I would like to use an old PC I have as a dedicated server. My reason for this is that I do not want my gaming PC exposed on the internet through having open firewall ports.

I've downloaded the game on both my gaming PC and the dedicated server and configured the server. It is now throwing a licensing problem when I try and launch the game on my gaming PC with the server running.

Do I need a second license or is there a way round this?

Thanks

Anthony
Delirious1983

Re: Farming Simulator 22 - Dedicated server licensing

Post by Delirious1983 »

Hi,

Can anyone offer any help with this. I'd love to start from day one, playing with a group of friends with this server but I am stuck.

Thanks

Anthony
chadsnet

Post by chadsnet »

You need a license for both dedicated and for the machine you're playing on =\
bigbangnet

Post by bigbangnet »

*sigh but why ? seriously why ? This is the only game that I know that does this. If theres another DS game that does this, I have no clue. Well that *censored* bad
Meanroo

Post by Meanroo »

Hey
I saw this thread and hopefully someone could answer me.
If I buy the osx version and then the ps4 version. I could host a game on my Mac, letting the ps4 connect to it? I don't need to have this PS Plus to connect to my dedicated server? It says that PS Plus is needed for the online playing mode, but if I'm running my own server, that isn't needed. Right? 🤔.
doomkugar

Post by doomkugar »

Delirious1983 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:03 pm Hi,

I have purchased the full game via steam and I would like to use an old PC I have as a dedicated server. My reason for this is that I do not want my gaming PC exposed on the internet through having open firewall ports.

I've downloaded the game on both my gaming PC and the dedicated server and configured the server. It is now throwing a licensing problem when I try and launch the game on my gaming PC with the server running.

Do I need a second license or is there a way round this?

Thanks

Anthony
Can you tell me where on this universe i can find the dedicated server software?!
zombie42

Post by zombie42 »

The dedicated server software is installed alongside the game. Go to your Steam library folder and navigate to "steamapps\common\Farming Simulator 22". The dedicated server binary and a readme (in German, English and French) how to run the dedicated server are available in that folder. That being said, with Farming Simulator 19 you could not successfully run a dedicated server with the Steam version of Farming Simulator. You had to buy the version directly from Giants. I don't think that this has changed with FS 22.
Scharphorn

Post by Scharphorn »

You need a copy of the game, as you need a license for the server, because you actually need the hole game to run a server.
The only difference is the execution file is none GUI like when you start the game as normal.

And steams FS19 version has worked fine for me without issues by the way.

That said you can buy a retail version, so you don't need a second account on any platform.
Hope that helps.
FlyingMasterChef

Post by FlyingMasterChef »

This is the only game I have ever wanted to run a dedicated server for that requires you to purchase another license. Makes me wonder how all the online dedicated server farms are doing this... There is no way they are paying for every copy of FS22 plus all DLC add-ons they have.
Radsy

Post by Radsy »

1. basically the way it works you need a copy of the game from Steam or from the giant website that is purely for you to play on.

2. if you want to host a dedicated farms on a separate machine you will need to buy another copy from from Giants website and that is your second key....

whichever way you look at it you need two keys and two copies of this game
Rio4201

Post by Rio4201 »

Before anyone says it.. I know.. Necro'ing an old thread like this is probably kind of pointless. However, it's been an irritation and a frustration for a few years now and I just wanted to voice my opinion on this subject.

Dedicated Server Licensing is ridiculous. In just about any other game title that offers it, there's no such thing. As a server owner and someone in possession of machinery/hardware capable of doing this, my first thought is this is some sort of inside dealing with the game hosting providers. Isn't it ironic that some of the major names in the game rent them and that every time you turn around and do a search you get banner ads for renting these game servers. Is someone at Giants getting throwbacks for server rentals? Is that the reason why those of us capable of hosting a server have to pay for another license to host a farming simulator 22 server that by sheer existence promotes future purchases of products and services offered by Giants Software?

As someone who enjoys streaming content including gameplay it just seems a bit strange they would integrate the need for a second license key to run the servers. I'm sure there are many players of this game who would gladly stream/play and promote this game had it not been for this snag. I've been hypothesizing why this was something they thought was absolutely necessary and the only thing I can think of is that the dedicated server files aren't a standalone non-graphical bundle, but in reality are an exact copy of the game. The reality is, if that's the case, they'd be giving out an entirely free copy of the game that a potential server owner could choose to either play or use as a dedicated server. It also makes me question why it was done that way at all? Most standalone dedicated server packages strip any need for any sort of graphics and simply offer an executable, data/asset and config files.

I sincerely hope that this issue remains relevant on future releases and that Giants Software are listening to the feedback, because if given the opportunity to host a server, there are many of us that would. Sure, it's 39.99 on steam right now, I could drop the cash on it, but the principles are getting in the way of that. I've hosted everything from Rust, 7 Days, Counter-strike, Ark, Atlas, and more on my machines and never not once did I have to worry about a secondary license key. Please, if anyone official does read this, be mindful of the future, those of us who own servers could be helping your titles excel and exponentially increasing sales.

Anyhoodles, that was my thought on the whole mess. Sorry to Necro, but it's been bugging me for quite awhile now lol.
Ziuta Modding

Post by Ziuta Modding »

In other games if you run a dedicated server you don't do it on your PC but through the game infrastructure. Your PC is only a place to configure and manage this particular server. Giants does not have such a server infrastructure, it only supports the lobby, therefore it has contracts with some dedicated server service providers that it promotes (but there are many more that they no longer promote). Your game has the ability to run a dedicated server and it is actually run on your hardware, only that it is seen by Giants systems like any other MP game, therefore a license key is required (you run a server that connects to Giants servers from the lobby where checked game license). On these external dedicated servers there is a slightly different license (they can run several virtual machines on 1 license they have and they have each DLC delivered immediately), if you want to run such server services, you would have to write to Giants about it, but if you want to run 1 server it will definitely be cheaper to buy another copy of the game (here the version from BOX/Giant Shop is recommended because in the case of Steam/Epic etc., when starting a dedicated server, confirmation of an additional Steam message is required due to the use of special startup parameters, which is inconvenient if you have to restart the server several times for some purpose).
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

If anyone is still following this thread I have a question. What do you do if you rented a dedicated server but everytime you open fs22 on steam and try to go to multiplayer it throws a can not connect to server error? Is there a way to get to my server? Any help would be great thanks
mountainboomer

Post by mountainboomer »

Sounds like you might have a firewall blocking the game. Make sure you exclude the game folder(s). Can you see other games in the list you only get that message?
Vorl

Post by Vorl »

I registered just to come to this thread and tell Giants exactly how stupid and greedy this decision is.

Every other game that has dedicated servers gives you the dedicated server for free.

We already buy the game, we already buy DLC, why on earth should be buy an extra copy of the game just to run a dedicated server. Get real and stop being a bad company. This makes me not want to have anything to do with the game because it shows a lack of respect for your clients. Other companies understand that giving people the ability to run dedicated servers just encourages more people to play. Pretty basic.