This game needs a REALISM category

Dim67

This game needs a REALISM category

Post by Dim67 »

I like to play as realistic as possible and even though you can make some settings in the menu to accomplish that, for instance "realistic fill level based on max weight" I still have to make some of my own rules.

That's all ok I can work with that. No, the problem is mods. Sure, for some mods it is blatantly obvious that it isn't realistic when someone puts a modded silo on the Modhub that can hold millions of liters of all the crops.

But how do I know if I want to get a nice Joskin dump trailer if 1: it is an actual real life trailer or some fantasy thing, and 2: how much can it realistically hold? Because I'm not a real farmer so I have no clue.

This goes for all equipment and vehicles. So there should be a category in the ModHub as well as in the in game store that shows if something is real to life or fantasy modded.

In some occasions I have done my own research and looked up certain farming equipment and their specs only to find out the mod I downloaded was bull***t and not realistic at all.

I guess this is more of a rant because I doubt Giant will ever implement a realistic category, but it's wishful thinking.
Decriptus

Re: This game needs a REALISM category

Post by Decriptus »

Most mods say in the description of it has "unreal" or "unrealistic" capacity. As far as implements just compare speed and width with base game stuff. Typically I don't use semi trailers over 60kl or pull behinds over 35kl, implements anything over 11mph is pushing it for me.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

get the mods you want and make private mods of them (reduce capacity to your desired level), IF you are playing single player; otherwise, get permission to make edits to use within a team.
Totenfarmer

Post by Totenfarmer »

JDMFarms wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:42 pm get the mods you want and make private mods of them (reduce capacity to your desired level), IF you are playing single player; otherwise, get permission to make edits to use within a team.
I second this, making edits of capacity is one of the easiest things you can do.
Better get your hands dirty sooner than later. I started playing when FS11 came out and remember how scary it was trying to edit mods or game files, but in the end I found it to be very rewarding.
ED209v2

Post by ED209v2 »

"realistic fill level based on max weight". This setting is misleading. It should say "Road-legal in Germany"
Tandem (trailer + load): 24 ton max.
Tridem (trailer + load): 36 ton max.

Joskin trailers have their capacity in the name. Trans-Space 8000/27: The bucket is 8 meters long and holds 27 cubic meter (27000 liter)
Trans-Space 7000/23: 7 meter long bucket 23 cubic meter (23000 liter)
That's without extensions.

Empty trailer weight tends to be off or wrong on modded trailers. The wheels have their own weight in-game.

Capacity? Hmmm... Even GIANTS Krampe 750 (Michelin) trailer seems off. That trailer, without extension, looks bigger than 20000 liter (and probably is)!
Case-man

Post by Case-man »

My understanding is that they use "litres" as the generic fill volume.

With the fill limiter on you can fill, i.e., a trailer to the brim with straw (i.e. 60000 litres). But if you try with a certain grain you will get less, pending the max weight of the trailer.

Not all modded trailer display the max load. I don't think this is visible on modhub, but when you look in the store in game it will show a weight inside an open square (8T or whatever) this then signifies the max weight (ish). Then pending on what you load in it bases it on the density of the material you load.

There are a few mods that add some realism. The REA tries to model a more realistic friction coefficient on tires and implements, but perhaps a bit too much. There are few others aswell.

If you are on PC then there will be more available as most of them use scripts. On PS/XBox I'm not sure how many are available.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

You don’t have to use unrealistic mods unrealistically. If you already make your own rules, why don’t they include mods you’ve downloaded? Just because the mod allows millions of liters doesn’t mean you need to use millions of liters.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

The base game itself wouldn't fit that category. While the game is rooted in the real world, the reality we have is simply the standard set by Giants and the base game.

Mods that are labeled "realistic" are designed to go beyond the standards in an attempt to be more realistic. Maize Plus. Manual Attach. Seeds Addon. Realistic Refueling. Beware of Straw. Greenhouse that take more inputs than just water. And many more. Many of these mods rely on scripts to add or enhance features of the game. Seeds Addon, which adds unique seeds for each crop, is cross-play. Some of those more "realistic" greenhouses are cross-play too. And, of course, you can simply choose to not teleport instead of using a mod to disable it.

Mods that are labeled "unreal" or offer an "unreal" configuration are designed to go beyond the limits set by the standards. Compared to similar things, they are faster, bigger, cheaper, or otherwise drastically better than the standard. If that is the mod authors design goal, it would be great if they made this clear in the description. Many do, but not all.

Unreal, standard, and realistic. We already have these three unofficial categories. It is up to the mod authors to provided a good description regardless of the category.
StarStreak2109

Post by StarStreak2109 »

For the next installment of FS, I wish Giants would revisit all features of the game and update gameplay and realism aspects. Realism features could all be optional so as to not scare away certain players or to adapt to individual playstyles.

I for one miss the influence of the weather on yields, which I think is the key driver on the success of farming.
Eische

Post by Eische »

StarStreak2109 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:26 am
I for one miss the influence of the weather on yields, which I think is the key driver on the success of farming.
This might look like a pretty simple feature. But it is quite complex to do it right.

Weather is very random. I'm playing with 2 days per month. Since 3 month it never rained now. Will this mean my crops will all die?
Will I be forced to play with more days per month just to get a better chance for rain?
Ok, irrigation would be a solution.

What if the complete adverse is happening and it constantly rains. I won't be able to make hay? I won't be able to harvest other crops.

I'm all in for optional realism features.
But as soon as random effects are involved where the player does only have limited influence on, there might be high levels of frustration involved.
This might be one feature, that sounds great and maybe a few players will keep it activated for the challenge. But is this enough for Giants to justify the development?

For all realism features it would be best to open a seperate topic to discuss on details. Otherwise there will be "only half assed" versions from Giants that are not fulfilling your expectations.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Eische wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:03 pm
there might be high levels of frustration involved.
The frustration is realistic, I promise. Playing a farming game without weather is like playing a shooting game without enemies, you’ve removed the biggest variable. It also shouldn’t be very difficult to scale it and adjust probabilities for length of season and difficulty level, they’re pretty clearly doing it already.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

Weather is very random. I'm playing with 2 days per month. Since 3 month it never rained now. Will this mean my crops will all die?

I'd love to have a weather model feature to model my own weather patterns based on my random gameplay desires. I try with some success by manipulating the xml file but if i dont calculate right, it messes everything up.

to the spirit of this thread, I think 'realism' is relative. What is unrealistic for you/your region, may be the norm in my region. Many farming things are universal and tech driven, but many techniques are based on local experience/training. Yes, laws of physics play into it too but as mentioned recently above in this thread, the basegame itself is unrealistic. It's a sandbox game with many things accelerated so it doesnt take a full real season to grow/harvest. That has been evolved for a sect of the community to play as close to RL farming as they want but that sect is very small since many gamers want instant gratification and high yield production.

That's the beauty of Giants making this game open for us to mod it to fit our needs. Thats the main reason i got into FS, it allowed me to make my own maps and mod the equipment. I try to keep things relative in my gameplays: meaning...since i plant/harvest in a day, I want to match the harvest time with the grow time. I dont want to take a full day (full season for me) to harvest; therefore, I mod the equipment to harvest faster but within reason. I mod the caps of the wagons to support the same idea but within reason. if i could mod my weather models, it would be within similar patters for my geo with similar time patters.
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

The game is a simulator in name only. The base game is an arcade game, designed to attract as many buyers as possible. It's geared to all the different groups of people, young, old, male, female.
Realism is in your mind, and in the rules you set for yourself while playing.

As for the other posts about weather, you might as well forget it now. Variable season lengths pretty much makes it impossible.
The kind of talent that would be needed to scale everything, code it, and make it work, is not available to them.
You just need to look at rain, that's been in the game forever, and you'll realize they couldn't be bothered to finish a function.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
mountainboomer

Post by mountainboomer »

It is a game. The game seems to penalize players enough as is. Most of the mods are to make the game more fun. Not everyone has huge blocks of time to devote to the game.

I just noticed a thread about the selectable bale capacity mod where one user said unless it worked with the twine mod he would not use it...........What!??? Twine adds realism just to be removed by bales that are 9x heavier than they should be. LOL. Lets not even talk about forestry. Talk about the biggest "cheat" in the game that is not actually a cheat.

Play how you want. You can make the game as real as you wish.
StarStreak2109

Post by StarStreak2109 »

UncleRico wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:07 pm
there might be high levels of frustration involved.
The frustration is realistic, I promise. Playing a farming game without weather is like playing a shooting game without enemies, you’ve removed the biggest variable. It also shouldn’t be very difficult to scale it and adjust probabilities for length of season and difficulty level, they’re pretty clearly doing it already.
Indeed! For instance, following the "Welker Farms" YouTube channel, you can feel how a farmer's fortune is tied to whether or not it rains the right amount in the right time and how e.g. hail can ruin all your hard work. Is it frustrating? Of course! But I want a "hard mode" that depicts all that instead of "only" changing prices on commodities.