Grass not turning to hay.

Newholme_Farm

Grass not turning to hay.

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Good day to everyone, hopefully you are all well. I've been playing FS for some time and I can usually resolve my own problems but these two have me stumped.

I'm on FS19 Seasons. I actually prefer this to FS22 as the mods I require aren't on 22, or don't work as well.

So, #1 new issue: I bought a bigger mower and went into the field to cut hay. The front mower powered up and cut a couple metres, then I went to power up the rear mower and the tractor didn't have enough power. So I had to fold up and head back to the yard for the bigger tractor. I returned shortly afterwards to find that the small section that I previously cut with the front mower had already turned to hay, which I thought was a bit strange. I proceeded to cut the rest of the field abd left it alone to turn to hay, but it won't. It's been five days now and no change. Looks like the tiny bit of hay at the start has thrown out the drying timings. So do I just have to leave it to rot down?

#2 issue: This is really bizarre..... I cut a field of oats late one evening and went back to the field the next morning to bale the straw, only to find that the straw had gone! Just little piles of straw scattered around as if somebody had stolen it overnight.

:?:
Ziuta Modding

Re: Grass not turning to hay.

Post by Ziuta Modding »

It looks like you haven't read the help for this mod ;)
1. Grass dries for hay depending on the weather, if it's sunny and windy it dries very quickly, but it must be scattered and not in a swath. It is possible that the front mower was set to spreading mode and the rear mower to swath, and the weather was also favorable and that is why it dried so quickly.
2. Straw and grass can't lie loose for long, I don't remember if it was dependent on the length of the season, but after some time straw and grass rot and this is represented by the mod as "disappearing", and you can't, for example, keep bales outside because they will start to "rotten", and the grass must be wrapped in foil to have silage, otherwise it will rot completely.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Thanks for the reply. As stated, I have been playing FS19 Seasons and also FS22 for some time, so I already know the above. It's not about the drying times (the grass was spread by the mower correctly both front and rear) and I even tried to ted it, which made no difference. I'm just trying to work out if there's a mod conflict or a glitch that I need to iron out, thanks.

You are correct that straw does rot down over time, but not overnight the day after it was cut.

Incidentally, you don't wrap silage in foil, it's low-density polyethylene, which is mainly black but can be in lighter colours. The lighter colours reflect the heat and are better for haylage or other semi-dry grass bales.
bench_007

Post by bench_007 »

From my understanding (not yet tested it):

If you mow grass and the weather is dry and windy, the moment the grass is mowed, it will immediately appear as "semi-wet grass" which will quickly turn into hay. I think the rest of your field is still "semi-wet grass", and if it is, it should turn to hay at some point (unless there's a mod conflict or a glitch), weather permitting. Hay (and I think semi-wet-wet grass too) won't rot outside if it doesn't rain on it, so hopefully you will still be able to get your hay. Straw (loose or in a bale) starts to rot, i.e. starts to disappear, when it rains. Straw and hay don't rot outside if it doesn't rain as far as I know. So I think you had some rain last night hahaha. By the way, thanks about learning me something new about wrapping bales.
Last edited by bench_007 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Thanks fella. I'll let you know if it turns to hay but so far the next grass crop is already growing through. Your theory about overnight rain is a possibility.
Ziuta Modding

Post by Ziuta Modding »

Newholme_Farm wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:25 pm Thanks for the reply. As stated, I have been playing FS19 Seasons and also FS22 for some time, so I already know the above. It's not about the drying times (the grass was spread by the mower correctly both front and rear) and I even tried to ted it, which made no difference. I'm just trying to work out if there's a mod conflict or a glitch that I need to iron out, thanks.

You are correct that straw does rot down over time, but not overnight the day after it was cut.

Incidentally, you don't wrap silage in foil, it's low-density polyethylene, which is mainly black but can be in lighter colours. The lighter colours reflect the heat and are better for haylage or other semi-dry grass bales.
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was explained in the instructions with the seasons mod (but it's possible that in FS17 and not 19), but it's possible that it's like a colleague wrote above that after mowing the grass visually looked like hay, but it was still grass (but dried), I think it was described in more detail in the manual, but I don't remember it exactly.

As for the straw, I remember that we were always in a hurry to press it into bales because it disappeared after midnight, but I don't remember if it was after the first day or only from the 2nd to the 3rd day (probably it also depended on the length of the season and the weather).

As for wrapping, I wrote you the principle of operation in the game, I know that in real life it works completely differently and there is something like haylage, etc. In the game, grass wrapped (no matter what color of foil) starts to ferment and after some time you just have silage.

But it's possible you also have some mod conflict, there were a lot of mods that affected animals or crops and were not compatible with seasons.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

I tend to agree with the brief overnight rain theory. I would also add to keep an eye on the moisture. If I remember correctly if the conditions aren’t right during the day you can lose the progress you made during the day overnight. This happened to me in the spring and on a cutting of probably around 100 bales I ended up with 10 by the time it dried down with the rotting. I want to say the moisture level has to get below the level for being able to combine to make drying progress but it’s tough to remember it’s been a few years.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Ziuta Modding wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:26 pm
Newholme_Farm wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:25 pm Thanks for the reply. As stated, I have been playing FS19 Seasons and also FS22 for some time, so I already know the above. It's not about the drying times (the grass was spread by the mower correctly both front and rear) and I even tried to ted it, which made no difference. I'm just trying to work out if there's a mod conflict or a glitch that I need to iron out, thanks.

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was explained in the instructions with the seasons mod (but it's possible that in FS17 and not 19), but it's possible that it's like a colleague wrote above that after mowing the grass visually looked like hay, but it was still grass (but dried), I think it was described in more detail in the manual, but I don't remember it exactly.

As for the straw, I remember that we were always in a hurry to press it into bales because it disappeared after midnight, but I don't remember if it was after the first day or only from the 2nd to the 3rd day (probably it also depended on the length of the season and the weather).

As for wrapping, I wrote you the principle of operation in the game, I know that in real life it works completely differently and there is something like haylage, etc. In the game, grass wrapped (no matter what color of foil) starts to ferment and after some time you just have silage.

But it's possible you also have some mod conflict, there were a lot of mods that affected animals or crops and were not compatible with seasons.
Thank you for replying once more. The grass did eventually turn to hay after 9 days of game time. I'm on 9 days per season, so that's basicaly 3 months to turn from fresh cut into hay. In real life there would be no nutrition left if it was left out for so long. But t least it did trun eventually, which was a relief. :)
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

I’ve had my dry grass when cut In October never turn to hay because the conditions required never occurred, annoying but that was the challenge of seasons, something I really miss in fs22
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:27 pm I’ve had my dry grass when cut In October never turn to hay because the conditions required never occurred, annoying but that was the challenge of seasons, something I really miss in fs22
I've actually gone back to FS19 as it suits me better in terms of getting the realism right. I'm just trying to get the field stubble textures as good as the latest version, but other than that I don't really miss FS22.

In real life, any grass cut in October would not turn to hay unless there was an unexpected heatwave, so the realism is there for sure.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:51 am I tend to agree with the brief overnight rain theory. I would also add to keep an eye on the moisture. If I remember correctly if the conditions aren’t right during the day you can lose the progress you made during the day overnight. This happened to me in the spring and on a cutting of probably around 100 bales I ended up with 10 by the time it dried down with the rotting. I want to say the moisture level has to get below the level for being able to combine to make drying progress but it’s tough to remember it’s been a few years.
Thanks for replying. I have Combine Xperience installed so I'm unable to cut if the moisture is too high. It will allow me to cut at anything under 20%, but that's still way too high for grain storage, so i rarely cut anything above 15.5%. These oats were harvested at around 14.8% so the straw should have been dry too. In real life, oat straw would have a little bit of life in the stems at harvest time, which is what makes it a good feed straw, but it does mean that it shouldn't be baled directly behind the combine. It has to be left to dry for a day or two. I guess that in Seasons it's not possible to leave it as one game day is equivalent to ten real time days, so I'll have to monitor this and maybe I'll just have to bale on the same day as we combine. Thanks again
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

I wish I had have made Ballam Rd for fs19 as it would suit the map a lot better than fs22, the 5 pastures would have been ideal for grazing plus you could feed them silage, and at least cows that eat only grass could actually produce milk unlike in fs22, but seeing this is Giants 1st attempt at a seasons type feature they’ve actually done a good job so maybe the next instalment of FS will have better seasons type features
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw