Petition for VR

cheechako

Re: Petition for VR

Post by cheechako »

Virtual walking in VR is a bit sickening and a lot immersion breaking. Dealing with lots of menus in VR is both annoying and immersion breaking. Manipulating things with your hands that don't resemble anything you are holding can be awkward and is immersion breaking. Many game aspects such as teleporting can be jarring and immersion breaking. And, of course, moving around in the real world requires real space you can maneuver in while being blind to your real surroundings.

Someone long ago (since this thread is old) suggested that I probably haven't spent enough time in VR to have such an opinion. Well, I have a homebuilt VR racing rig in my basement. It is the most thrilling and immersive experience I can have at a computer. But I sit in a car seat and hold a steering wheel with my feet on the pedals. I never get out of the virtual car. I rarely deal with menus. I talk to my "crew chief" to adjust various settings and get feedback.

In an FS session, I might walk, run, turn a steering wheel, manipulate joysticks, open a door, lift a log, use a chainsaw, access many, many menus, and much more. VR makes most of that awkward if not worse. And if I'm using VR controllers instead of a wheel and pedals, it probably makes driving a tractor worse too.
pate321

Post by pate321 »

I'd say that you should try a head tracker. I'm using one and I think that is a great step towards VR, and you don't get motion sickness so easily. I'm currently using OpenTrack + DIY-modded Logitech C615 Hd webcam (Ir filter removed) and DIY Ir beacon in the headset. Of course it takes a bit of time to get used and I would suggest that a large monitor (I'm using 40" tv) is a good addition to give you enough room to turn your head without looking too much past the screen.
cheechako

Post by cheechako »

pate321 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:54 am I'd say that you should try a head tracker.
I have one. I also have a second monitor. So, things get strange when I look at that monitor and glance back to the game. I would have to turn that direction off. But in-game, if I can turn my head, I want both directions. Just not worth it for me. But certainly worth looking into for anyone that can use it and spends a lot of time in cab. It is nice to look over at the mirror and have it be there instead of just off the edge of your display.

I don't get motion-sick from 2D displays. It can happen in VR. But when I sit in a real car seat with a real wheel in my hands and real pedals at my feet and focus on the road ahead with glances to the side or at my mirrors and dash, my body is doing enough of what my mind expects of it even without G-forces that I am incredibly immersed and not at all sick.

Should I crash and spin and roll and reverse, VR sickness might hit. But I imagine such a real-world incident world result in motion-sickness at the very least.
Katra

Post by Katra »

As someone who had both oculus rift and valve index, I gotta disagree with a bunch of the takes here.

Firstly, implementing Vr isnt actually all that big a task. You can easily forgo animation retargeting and full on controller support and just implement the head tracking and 3d without much issue. This comes from a position of being a dev myself and having studied both game design and modeling animation. It really isnt a super big task unless you design your whole game around room scale VR.

Secondly, a game like farmsim in which you mostly occupy seats in vehicles is perfect for VR. Pretty sure the game already supports trackIR, it's not a big leap to just add headset support for full 3D tracking. It's at least something that would enrich the experience of some users for not alot of effort.

Having a full VR integration would be more complicated ofc as youd want to move all the interactions to be VR gestures instead of button presses so I agree that this would be way too much for a patch expansion or even a game release in the farmsim genre.

Iam pretty sure there are a bunch of softwares like Vorp which can do geometry reconstruction and hook into the game the same way reshade or sweetfx would and force stereoscopic 3d and full VR but those brute force methods can always be a bit yanky. I used it once to play world of warcraft in 3D but it comes with some non optimal caveats.

So for anyone interested it's something to look into for VR.

I personally wouldn't want to play it in VR all the time. Headsets are heavy warm and sweaty, but I could see myself putting the headset on for some specific equipment work or just the occasional experience and escapism, while turning it off for other stuff.

P.s. motion sickness can be trained away by repeated exposure to the trigger. The more you play vr and expose yourself to motionsickness, the faster you wont feel it anymore at all. The body gets used to the sensory disconnect and eventually doing stuff like flying fighterplanes in dcs or doing all sorts of yanky movements wont trigger the feeling anymore at all.
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

I tried FS17 in Vorpx a few years ago, and the level of immersion when sitting in the tractor and looking back at the plough behind me, is amazing. Most of the negative opinions being put forward are clearly by those who have never fully experienced VR.

I love my VR for sim racing, flight sims, truck sims and many fps games, all of which players can easily spend a couple of hours or more at a time without any ill effects.

Farming Sim is about the only 'perfect-for-VR' game that has not been given the VR treatnent and it is absolutely crying out for a VR option.

The chance of it ever happening seems remote given some of the ill-informed and out of touch responses here, and that is a real shame.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

masseyharris wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 pm I tried FS17 in Vorpx a few years ago, and the level of immersion when sitting in the tractor and looking back at the plough behind me, is amazing. Most of the negative opinions being put forward are clearly by those who have never fully experienced VR.

I love my VR for sim racing, flight sims, truck sims and many fps games, all of which players can easily spend a couple of hours or more at a time without any ill effects.

Farming Sim is about the only 'perfect-for-VR' game that has not been given the VR treatnent and it is absolutely crying out for a VR option.

The chance of it ever happening seems remote given some of the ill-informed and out of touch responses here, and that is a real shame.
Care to elaborate on out of touch and ill-informed because the exact same thing can be said about your own claims about their opinions. I have experience with VR and it’s fun but definitely still a niche market especially with for a game that’s already niche. Put that all aside and a good portion of the player base already won’t improve their experience by buying a pc rather than a console, I doubt they will rush out to buy everything they need for VR. To add to all of that I would just like to reiterate all the people pointing out the laundry list of other things they would like giants to spend their time and resources fixing or adding to the game to improve it.
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Unclerico said most of what I was thinking along with wondering how me having tried VR when it first came out years ago, and not wanting anything to do with it is I'll informed? Lol

I'll check back for the angry ad hominem response
masseyharris

Post by masseyharris »

The comments that people would be uncomfortable if they played it for long in a headset; the motion sickness would be too much; that users want other features more; that there are too many controls. These are opinions of those who simply don't want vr. There are many more non vr drivers in Euro Truck Sim, but it didn't stop SCS at least implementing a vr option for those that want to use it. People play MSFS and Elite Dangerous and manage the controls perfectly well, so these arguments don't really stand up.

It's fine if you don't want it or are simply not interested in it, but it doesn't mean you have to actively argue against VR if there is any chance that the option could be added for those that DO want it.

But it's pointless arguing about it anyway, as Giants don't appear interested in adding it.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

masseyharris wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:48 am
But it's pointless arguing about it anyway, as Giants don't appear interested in adding it.
Right? It’s almost like every time someone brings it up anywhere or they ask about it the response from their fanbase is mostly negative
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

the vast majority will not be interested in VR sorry!
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

I just realized that knowing giants the only way to officially kill this idea....... Is to support it lol
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

A modder must do it first, then they can steal it and release it with the next DLC.

Of course the vast majority will not be interested. Look at how many still use consoles...peasants. /s
Lazarus99

Post by Lazarus99 »

Burekcina wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:54 pm A modder must do it first, then they can steal it and release it with the next DLC.

Of course the vast majority will not be interested. Look at how many still use consoles...peasants. /s
Heck I'm still on ps4. Forgive me my lord lol
obisky

Post by obisky »

Recently I play a lot of fs22 in VR. I have a Reverb G2 and I use Vorpx. It works pretty well, I don't want to go back to 2d mode. Even if for the menu I use the shortcut to go back to 2d.
I spent a lot of time to configure it correctly and now I have a really pleasant and fluid experience (90 FPS at 2160*2160 resolution).
I think VR is relevant on FS at least for its playful side.
I am a farmer in real life and I must admit that VR allows me to be in my real vehicles with the same landmarks.

The VR allows me to appreciate much more easily the size of my vehicle, the distances, the unevenness of the terrain. I anticipate more easily the arrival of a curve or the slightest variation of level.
Stacking pallets, Bale of straw or pieces of wood is much more satisfying because you can appreciate the distance of the objects from each other.

Although Giants have no plans to implement it, I hope they can work in partnership with Vorpx to facilitate its implementation.
I'm happy with the result I have today with Vorpx, the most frustrating thing is the HUD is not readable because it's on the edge of the lens. But for the rest it's immersive, I can stay 5-6 hours in a harvester while being in this completely immersive virtual world. And I'm a real kid wanting to try everything and immerse myself in each vehicle that Giants took care to model, there are also all these little animations that you don't pay attention to when you play on screen and that make the experience more fun.

So I thank Giants for the work done with quality models, but I also thank Vorpx for making this fabulous game compatible in my VR headset. I hope I can continue to enjoy this great experience

VR on FS22 may not be what the community expects today, but maybe it can interest and motivate new people on FS22. We could for example train and coach people to drive some tools or for me farmers to be able to immerse myself in this new cabin and enjoy the space, the layout etc...
elgranjerou

Post by elgranjerou »

obisky wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:24 pm Recently I play a lot of fs22 in VR. I have a Reverb G2 and I use Vorpx. It works pretty well, I don't want to go back to 2d mode. Even if for the menu I use the shortcut to go back to 2d.
I spent a lot of time to configure it correctly and now I have a really pleasant and fluid experience (90 FPS at 2160*2160 resolution).
I think VR is relevant on FS at least for its playful side.
I am a farmer in real life and I must admit that VR allows me to be in my real vehicles with the same landmarks.

The VR allows me to appreciate much more easily the size of my vehicle, the distances, the unevenness of the terrain. I anticipate more easily the arrival of a curve or the slightest variation of level.
Stacking pallets, Bale of straw or pieces of wood is much more satisfying because you can appreciate the distance of the objects from each other.

Although Giants have no plans to implement it, I hope they can work in partnership with Vorpx to facilitate its implementation.
I'm happy with the result I have today with Vorpx, the most frustrating thing is the HUD is not readable because it's on the edge of the lens. But for the rest it's immersive, I can stay 5-6 hours in a harvester while being in this completely immersive virtual world. And I'm a real kid wanting to try everything and immerse myself in each vehicle that Giants took care to model, there are also all these little animations that you don't pay attention to when you play on screen and that make the experience more fun.

So I thank Giants for the work done with quality models, but I also thank Vorpx for making this fabulous game compatible in my VR headset. I hope I can continue to enjoy this great experience

VR on FS22 may not be what the community expects today, but maybe it can interest and motivate new people on FS22. We could for example train and coach people to drive some tools or for me farmers to be able to immerse myself in this new cabin and enjoy the space, the layout etc...
Are you using any online profile for vorpx settings?
I still can't make it work. still getting motion sickness after a moment.

BTW: After the release of Quest Pro, the announcement of Quest 3, and the Apple VR device, I think VR is becoming more popular and it wouldn't be a bad move for the Giants to care a bit about it. Even if it is through some collaboration.