Land price per hectar

kahfs

Land price per hectar

Post by kahfs »

Hi there,

Did not find a discussion on this. If I missed it, please delete/close.

The menu for purchasing land displays a total value and a value per hectar for a chosen farmland. As far as I can figure out, the total price is for the farmland, while the value per hectar is the value per field area not per farmland area. I wonder if that is intentional, or if the total value gets divided by the wrong area.

Example:

Farmland price per hectare = 60,000 (default in-game value)
Farmland area = 10 ha
Field area = 6 ha.

Then the display will show:
Total value = 600,000
Value / ha = 100,000

Knowing the default value/ha is 60,000, the displayed value of 100,000/ha will tell you that you pay for a lot more land than can be used on day one. So maybe this is the preferred information. It is just not very clear from the display, what the value/ha represents.
K. Henneberg/ArmChairFarming. Author of RealLifeNumbers (FS19, FS22)
Illinois Farmer

Re: Land price per hectar

Post by Illinois Farmer »

That's how it works here. Say you buy 80 acres but only 75 is tillable. You buy the section and everything that comes with it.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:58 pm That's how it works here. Say you buy 80 acres but only 75 is tillable. You buy the section and everything that comes with it.
Hi Illinois Farmer.

Yes, I agree with that. I'm only raising the point whether the displayed information is confusing. If you are given the price/ac, would you expect the total price to be divided by 80 ac or by 75 ac?
Illinois Farmer

By 80. You are paying for that section not just tillable area

2 years ago I bought 80 acres for 800,000 so I paid 10,000 an acre.
Last edited by Illinois Farmer on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

mmmm you better redo you math
Playing TVTOF
playing on a Good Old PS4
Illinois Farmer

Sneaks wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:40 pm mmmm you better redo you math
Haha forgot a zero. I was typing fast and heading to go to menards ha.
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:03 pm By 80. You are paying for that section not just tillable area

2 years ago I bought 80 acres for 800,000 so I paid 10,000 an acre.
I thought so too. But the game seems to be dividing by the field area, not the total area.

But that may not be such a bad idea, because a high price/ha will indicate that you get less field area for your money.
Decriptus

Post by Decriptus »

I think it also figures in what is on the plot as well. A field with only grass surrounding it should cost less than one with buildings
kahfs

Post by kahfs »

Decriptus wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:06 pm I think it also figures in what is on the plot as well. A field with only grass surrounding it should cost less than one with buildings
It is a possibility. I think that would have to be done indirectly by changing the priceScale for the field.

With the feature priceScale feature it is possible to take into account such factors as soil type, accessibility, proximity, etc.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

If I'm following this conversation correctly, wouldn't land near more heavily populated areas cost more than those out in the boonies? I realize that maps are a relatively small representation of real life, but that feels right to me. Also, a piece of property that is covered on trees and shrubs should cost less than one that is already cleared. Having that change dynamically would be incredible. Buy a piece of woodland, clear it, create fields, sell it for a profit.

The map Ohio Richlands uses price scaling on its farmlands.xml. Some as low as 0.8, others as high as 10. I'm not sure what the correlation is to the properties as I have yet to play the map, but I noticed it in a review.
Playing on PC
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

hpmc13 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:52 pm If I'm following this conversation correctly, wouldn't land near more heavily populated areas cost more than those out in the boonies? I realize that maps are a relatively small representation of real life, but that feels right to me. Also, a piece of property that is covered on trees and shrubs should cost less than one that is already cleared. Having that change dynamically would be incredible. Buy a piece of woodland, clear it, create fields, sell it for a profit.

The map Ohio Richlands uses price scaling on its farmlands.xml. Some as low as 0.8, others as high as 10. I'm not sure what the correlation is to the properties as I have yet to play the map, but I noticed it in a review.
Depends on demand really. Honestly I’ve seen farms parcel out on auction and the 20-30 acres of wooded land sell for more than a nice 50-60 acre field because rich people want a place to go hunting.
Illinois Farmer

The location, roads, and infrastructure affects cities lots, not farmlands. Soil type does affect land price, but so does inflation, cash rent in the area and price of previous land sold in the same area and same type of soil. Also water availability plays a role.