Shall we talk about being a fire fighter?

Ashtooth

Re: Shall we talk about being a fire fighter?

Post by Ashtooth »

Boots wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:38 am Well OK I am an old man now but when I was working in addition to my day job I was also a retained firefighter for over 30 years
Living in a rural area with hundreds of farms and attending many hundreds of incidents (farming related) of various types from fires in vehicles, plant , animals and chemicals
We had a farmer in the team and there were a lot of farmers and farm workers that formed the crews in the other fire stations arround the area.
In fact I knew far more Farmers & Farm workers that were firefighters than were forestry workers.
For me it makes more sence for this to be introduced to a farming game than to have forestery in the game.
I would say that having this in the game would learn the younger generation to be more careful with doing the job both with equipment
and animal care is more important than knowing how to cut down a tree
By far most fires in Combines and balers were put down to lack of maintenance. In all my years as a firefighter I never attended a fire in
a square baler but each year attended a lot of fires in round balers

I would also add that my faverate YouTubers I watch playing tha game, one of the team is a volunteer firefighter in Canada
also watching DjGoHam vidio on this mod - one of the lads that made the mod is also a volinteer firefighter

Happy farming everyone and remember maintenance is very important in keeping your equipment fire free.
You knew some farmers that were also fire fighters....
Well, I knew a farmer that also worked at the local convenience store, and had worked at a gas station before that.
Another farmer offered new driver training, and was certified so the trainee could have reduced insurance rates.
In Canada, we had a farmer who was also a serial k*ll*r.
I guess the game isn't a true farming simulator until you add in everything that a farmer has done in their life.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

Here’s how I see it…

Everything has the potential to be farming. For example, farmer 1 has a terrible year for wheat, but ends up with tons of straw. Hmm, wife says, maybe we can sell straw figurines and create a production sideline. Farmer 2 lives in a dry, fire prone area and observes, maybe we should get together and protect each other’s lands. Farmer 3 lives through a year of massive rains, erosion and topsoil run off…no crops and waters from the river have filled a large portion in one area, creating a spot perfect for fish farming.

I guess it’s all in the perspective. I think farmers often are very innovative and, let’s face it, we all want the best (read costly) life we can have.

Corn mazes, hay rides, farm tours, tractor pulls … these are not, technically crop farming, but all byproducts of a farm.

Modders are cool. It goes like this: I wonder if we could make/do this? Or, Someone requested this…let’s try it. If I don’t want to do it, I don’t. I just love the game.
tomw

Post by tomw »

For what it is worth I was a volunteer fireman in the United States many years ago and I can tell you from that experience that many volunteer fire departments depend on farmers as members.

I can see this add on as a fun addition if it can send a message that there is a fire and you would stop working on your farm and rush to the station and get a firetruck to respond to the fire.

That said I will stick to farming in FS, but I think it is a good idea and not unrealistic. I knew a lot more farmer/firefighters than farmer/cake bakers. :)

Tom
Florida, USA
NDDan

Post by NDDan »

I don't know where I stand on the mod. But fires are a part of farming. I haven't done much real farming, but I started a grass fire one time simply by driving a grain truck through some dry standing grass. I was sitting in the truck, waiting for the combine to come around when I saw the fire in the mirror. Apparently the exhaust or something sparked it and it took off. The local volunteer fire department came. Most of them knew me, so they gave me a hard time, but they admitted it could have happened to anyone.
There’s no place like utopia.
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

We can't shoot deer or birds, but we can play fireman sam
hun3

Post by hun3 »

I'm not sure what this thread refers to and at this point I'm scarred to ask....fireman??? I thought we are heading to Ukraine harvesting carrots?
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

Maybe we shall talk about me not buying the next version until after and if I see it's up to snuff

No more pre-orders from me Giants :mrgreen:
Totenfarmer

Post by Totenfarmer »

The german community were the ones that started this, way back in FS11 they had fire stations and sirens. In FS13, I think it was, there was even burning houses. I think this is because of the status a firefighter has in Germany as most of the firefighters are volunteers and thus considered heroes. At least that's the reason for the obsession, whether or not fires have a place in FS..imo no, there are other functions and improvements I would like to see, but as a mod..sure go ahead, it's not hurting anyone.
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

Boots wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:38 am Well OK I am an old man now but when I was working in addition to my day job I was also a retained firefighter for over 30 years
Living in a rural area with hundreds of farms and attending many hundreds of incidents (farming related) of various types from fires in vehicles, plant , animals and chemicals
We had a farmer in the team and there were a lot of farmers and farm workers that formed the crews in the other fire stations arround the area.
In fact I knew far more Farmers & Farm workers that were firefighters than were forestry workers.
For me it makes more sence for this to be introduced to a farming game than to have forestery in the game.
I would say that having this in the game would learn the younger generation to be more careful with doing the job both with equipment
and animal care is more important than knowing how to cut down a tree
By far most fires in Combines and balers were put down to lack of maintenance. In all my years as a firefighter I never attended a fire in
a square baler but each year attended a lot of fires in round balers

I would also add that my faverate YouTubers I watch playing tha game, one of the team is a volunteer firefighter in Canada
also watching DjGoHam vidio on this mod - one of the lads that made the mod is also a volinteer firefighter

Happy farming everyone and remember maintenance is very important in keeping your equipment fire free.
Top post - look after your animals, look after your equipment, look after your chemicals. With age comes wisdom (i.e we've learnt from messing it up the first time...)