Logging fans

Lawma

Logging fans

Post by Lawma »

Did FDR have console mods? I hope there's a legit reason for JD putting a halt on 3rd party logging mods. Am I interpreting this wrong? This better not carry over to other aspects of the game.
UncleRico

Re: Logging fans

Post by UncleRico »

I’m not really sure why they did that, it’s not for profit so I’m also not really sure what they could even do about it. But at the same time it’s John Deere which has to be one of the worst companies for stuff like this which makes me wonder why they’re worshipped like they are. I’m guessing they got a generic opinion from someone they talked to personally because it doesn’t really jive with the mods on the modhub giants allows either and one would assume giants understands their own contracts considering how quick they are to pull anything that has any sort of unlicensed branding. So at the very least I would assume modhub mods would be safe. Also fdr does not make console mods. They make logging equipment and maps that they change weights of things like trees to make the physics play nicer. They’re almost there own genre of forestry mods at this point.
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

Thanks for the info. I was starting to get paranoid that things were regressing lol
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

It would be nice to have some clarification from giants on the issue though even if it was just a simple acknowledgment that the mod hub stuff is ok
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

Yea, I took the FDR post as

Giants created units good

Modders created units, not ok

Time will tell
Totenfarmer

Post by Totenfarmer »

Out of curiosity: This thing here seems to happen quite often with american companies, why is this ? Is it because they can ?
The same thing happened in Dovetail games train sims where BNSF put a restriction on the dlc's so that only american customers could use BNSF branded stuff. This rarely happens in europe, it's so rare you could you could say it never happens, so I am genuinely curious why this difference between U.S and Europe is there ?
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

Maybe rare here in Europe, but back in the day Porsche wasn't fond of 3rd party modders.

If I remember correctly, and please someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but the explanation we got when BNSF did their thing was that in US companies have to proactively protect their trademarks, not only react when someone infringes on it.
It was of course more complicated than that, but basically here, companies can take action after the fact, over there they have to be more active to protect their copyright.
At least this is what I remember from the train sim forums.

This was a couple of years ago, so maybe things have changed now.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Probably they didn't want modders changing Thier equipment,
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

eric21 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:38 am Probably they didn't want modders changing Thier equipment,
This is exactly what I was thinking and was afraid. We wouldn't get any of the cool stuff like the john Deere A or the older articulated units like we have now. Maybe its because like Uncle Rico said how some modders might change weights etc. But still I prefer modders mods as they try and add US and EU configs. Giants seems to have EU spec only more often

I could just see a day where john Deere is only going to want current production models put out on the game as it benefits them and their current lineup.

Promoting antiquated non production units is not benefiting their marketing scheme
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

Agree with Eric. Giants are likely bound by contract when it comes to specs, where modders aren't.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

UncleRico wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:16 am But at the same time it’s John Deere which has to be one of the worst companies for stuff like this which makes me wonder why they’re worshipped like they are.
Well I don't make my purchases decisions from a company letting modes add a model into a video game or not. They are worshipped because they make good equipment.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:11 pm
Well I don't make my purchases decisions from a company letting modes add a model into a video game or not. They are worshipped because they make good equipment.
They make average equipment and have great marketing, that’s why they’re worshiped. The last time they had great equipment New Holland made there skids, Kinze made their planters, and hitachi made their construction equipment. I won’t knock their tractors they’re solid but to say there are any better than case, claas, or fendt is just brand loyalty silliness. I figured right to repair and some of the lawsuits affecting actual farmers would sway folks purchase decisions but apparently that doesn’t matter either.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

So it would appear that John Deere are not allowing modded John Deere vehicles in game so does this mean that John Deere are going to contact all the 3rd party download sites and tell them to remove all John Deere mods from their sites, that could be interesting.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

UncleRico wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:26 pm
They make average equipment and have great marketing, that’s why they’re worshiped. The last time they had great equipment New Holland made there skids, Kinze made their planters, and hitachi made their construction equipment. I won’t knock their tractors they’re solid but to say there are any better than case, claas, or fendt is just brand loyalty silliness. I figured right to repair and some of the lawsuits affecting actual farmers would sway folks purchase decisions but apparently that doesn’t matter either.
This post makes me laugh all over ha. I would take a john deere planter over a kenzie any day of the week. I have worked on both and drive both and deere did better. Also if you have deere tractor then get a deere planter, they hook up and communicate better. The guidance system is still heads above any other brand. Also the new 8rs are the best tractors I have ever drove or been in. Fendt and claas has too many buttons and just odd. Case and new Holland are practically the same thing. Also the lawsuit isn't even a big deal. It is pretty much just the computer system and it isn't hard for them to send a mechanic if needed.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
crash

Post by crash »

-Could it be that there are more stuff coming from JD us forestery division. Like the case was with valtra, valtra was "blocked" from modhub for 9 months or so, before they launched a new tractor and launched new lineup in fs22, I even think it was the same day..

-Is all of JD forestry just JD these days? JD forestry is a potpurry of brands that ultimately became jd's cut to length forestery machines(lokomo, ösa and bruun became fmg, then timberjack bought them and jd bought timberjack) And jd and hitachi was same, but in diffrent colours for a while.. JD owns waratha too..

-Still probably more question😂
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway