Edit Goldcrest and play with existing save file

Moses06

Edit Goldcrest and play with existing save file

Post by Moses06 »

Hello,

I'm playing FS 17 and have around 30 hours or so on Goldcrest. I'd like to remove the bushes around the farm that you can't remove in-game. I know you need to use the map editor, but I can't find a single tutorial explaining how to edit one of the original maps and play it with an existing save file. I know you need to zip the proper files, but I can't find a list of files that are required. I have found many forum posts on various forums of people discussing doing this, but nobody ever explains how it's done. Any help would be appreciated.
Moses06

Re: Edit Goldcrest and play with existing save file

Post by Moses06 »

I managed to get a new game started using the "New mod from game" feature in the editor, and the bushes I delete are in fact deleted when I go into the game.

The issue I have now is, when I copy my existing save file over to this new game I started with the modded map, the mod deactivates. There are 10 files in my save folder, I've copied each of them over one by one trying to find out which file is disabling the mod, and none stand out. It's as if copying any file over from a previous save disables the mod.

But yet I see people talking about doing this, editing the map and copying their existing save over and playing. So I know it's possible, I just don't know how people are getting their save file to work without disabling the mod.
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

Hi,

It sounds to me like you are trying to copy over all the old save files, but they will be referencing the original map, not the new one you have created. To do what you want, you have 2 choices.

1. You can edit the default in game map. The downside of this is, if you mess it up, then it will mess up your ability to play on that particular map. However, that can be sorted by simply doing a integrity check if you are on steam, or re-installing the game. Also, if you edit the in game map directly, any changes you make are permanent, until you re install the game. You can get round this by backing up the maps folder and making a copy elsewhere, that way, when you want to play the unedited version of the map, it is just a simple case of overwriting the edited files with the originals.

2. (The best option) Do what you have done already and make a mod of the base game map. Edit the mod map to your liking. The main benefit of this is that it will not affect your base game map or cause any issues further down the line.
Once you have made the mod map, start a new save game slot with all the mods in your current save game. Once the map has loaded, save it. Then exit the map. Now, you need to remember what save slot you have just started the new save in and what number save slot your original save is in. Then it is just a simple case of copying over the relevant files to the new save.
Lets say the original save is in slot 1 and the new save is in slot 2. (I am doing this from memory, as I am at work, so apologies if I make any wee mistakes. Hopefully someone will wade in with anything I have missed)
Open 2 windows side by side, one with save slot1 and the other with save slot 2. (they should be in my documents/my games/fs22/savex)
You will need to copy over all the files, except careerSaveGame.xml. You need to open the careerSaveGame.xml in the new save and edit in the correct amount of money, compare it with the original savegame file.

Try loading the new save and hopefully everything will be as it is in the other save.
Moses06

Post by Moses06 »

farmer_bell wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:47 pm Hi,

It sounds to me like you are trying to copy over all the old save files, but they will be referencing the original map, not the new one you have created. To do what you want, you have 2 choices.

1. You can edit the default in game map. The downside of this is, if you mess it up, then it will mess up your ability to play on that particular map. However, that can be sorted by simply doing a integrity check if you are on steam, or re-installing the game. Also, if you edit the in game map directly, any changes you make are permanent, until you re install the game. You can get round this by backing up the maps folder and making a copy elsewhere, that way, when you want to play the unedited version of the map, it is just a simple case of overwriting the edited files with the originals.

2. (The best option) Do what you have done already and make a mod of the base game map. Edit the mod map to your liking. The main benefit of this is that it will not affect your base game map or cause any issues further down the line.
Once you have made the mod map, start a new save game slot with all the mods in your current save game. Once the map has loaded, save it. Then exit the map. Now, you need to remember what save slot you have just started the new save in and what number save slot your original save is in. Then it is just a simple case of copying over the relevant files to the new save.
Lets say the original save is in slot 1 and the new save is in slot 2. (I am doing this from memory, as I am at work, so apologies if I make any wee mistakes. Hopefully someone will wade in with anything I have missed)
Open 2 windows side by side, one with save slot1 and the other with save slot 2. (they should be in my documents/my games/fs22/savex)
You will need to copy over all the files, except careerSaveGame.xml. You need to open the careerSaveGame.xml in the new save and edit in the correct amount of money, compare it with the original savegame file.

Try loading the new save and hopefully everything will be as it is in the other save.
Thanks for the reply. I did manage to get it working thanks to a comment on a youtube video I found. It was for FS 19 and 22, but figured it would work for 17 as well and it did. Someone suggested simply going into the careerSavegame XML file that you mentioned, of the new game tied to the new modded map, and copying the name of the map in the "mapID" field at the top. Then paste this name in the mapID field of the careerSavegame file for your existing save.

I did that, and it now works. I didn't need any other files from the new save, and didn't need to edit anything else in my careerSavegame file.
Moses06

Post by Moses06 »

The issue I'm having now, and this is just me not knowing how to use the editor very well yet, is getting the terrain foliage paint mode to apply in game. When I use the terrain foliage paint mode to "cut" the grass, and then start a new game with the updated map, the changes take place in game. When I play my existing save file, they do not. So taking out bushes and other loose objects works properly for my existing save file, but changing the terrain does not.

Anyone know how to paint the terrain and have it work for existing save files?

edit: Found a way. Copied just the fruit_density.gdm file from the new save over to the existing save and the terrain paint changes worked. It also resets your fields to what they are when you start a new game though, not sure if it's possible to avoid that part. I haven't noticed any other problems though, so far.