Court Farms - underwhelmed.

Ashtooth

Re: Court Farms - underwhelmed.

Post by Ashtooth »

----NEWS FLASH ----

Life isn't fair.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
Guil

Post by Guil »

The forum would be very boring if people couldn't share opinions, whether you determine them to be good or bad.
TheGazbeard

Post by TheGazbeard »

b101uk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:15 pm
TheGazbeard wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:38 pm People need to remember that "hype" is an abbreviation of "hyperactive", which is a medical disorder.
err no its not,
1: 1920s (originally US in the sense ‘short-change, cheat’, or ‘person who cheats etc.’): of unknown origin.

2: 1920s (originally US): abbreviation of hypodermic.
That's in Americanese - I'm talking about the official English language.
My FarmSim farms on YouTube - Gazbeard
My FarmSim farms on Twitch - TheGazbeard
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Hype in this sense comes from the root word hyperbole, over exaggerating something.
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

They are experts at hyping the game and DLC. All videos are scene flashes that are very quick so you don't have time to see the surprising draw distance, popups or the physics, in too much detail.
I believe their strategy may be how they draw so many new players each cycle.
Us folks who've been playing for eons already know what to expect.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

TheGazbeard wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 am
b101uk wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:15 pm
TheGazbeard wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:38 pm People need to remember that "hype" is an abbreviation of "hyperactive", which is a medical disorder.
err no its not,
1: 1920s (originally US in the sense ‘short-change, cheat’, or ‘person who cheats etc.’): of unknown origin.

2: 1920s (originally US): abbreviation of hypodermic.
That's in Americanese - I'm talking about the official English language.
I am taking about the origin that first came about, it first came about in American English, that usage meaning then transferred to British English, before the further evolution on both side of the pond, meaning to a degree the sensationalising of events etc like film etc, which has its routes in an element of dishonesty\over sensationalising X.

This is from the perspective of being a native British person and using the likes of Cambridge and Oxford dictionary etc as to what is relevant.

What feckless kids and the younger generation may use the slang of "hype" for is of little relevance, given the overwhelming and significantly documented meaning in notable dictionary reference both side of the pond has, it nothing to do with "hyperactively".
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
Lawma

Post by Lawma »

UncleRico wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:02 am
b101uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:36 am so far between two save I have amassed just over 165 hours on the Court Farm map, being 76 hours on one save and 89 hours on the other.
Is that a lot or a little for you?
Was this question ever answered?
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

I'd think in this day and age everyone would understand what it means to hype something up. Hype is its own word today regardless of its origin.
Disclaimer:
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

Lawma wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:08 pm
UncleRico wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:02 am
b101uk wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:36 am so far between two save I have amassed just over 165 hours on the Court Farm map, being 76 hours on one save and 89 hours on the other.
Is that a lot or a little for you?
Was this question ever answered?
it is still on-going, it's at almost 220h, almost 130h of that on a single save.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

b101uk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:28 pm
it is still on-going, it's at almost 220h, almost 130h of that on a single save.
I was just curious if that was a lot or a little for you in the sense of that’s a good gauge of a maps quality. Just wondering if I should download it and put it in the try in the future folder
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:56 pm
b101uk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:28 pm
I was just curious if that was a lot or a little for you in the sense of that’s a good gauge of a maps quality. Just wondering if I should download it and put it in the try in the future folder
by the standard of all maps played then you could say it a lot, but from the other end of the scale, by the standard of say my 10 most played maps in fs22, then it would be in forth place after Calmsden (1ST [MP & SP]), Osada (2nd [MP & SP]), Attingham Park (3rd [MP & SP]), but then I have only played Court Farms in SP, while the group I was playing MP with have gone their separate ways due to work, life, etc.

If you got on ok with Calmsden, Osada and Attingham Park type map flavours then you should get on ok with Court Farms, given you can always drop Court Farm on the Court Farms map as the starting point and move to one of the other 3 farms on the Court Farms map, like Home Farm that is just north of Court Farm.
MOOUSE

Post by MOOUSE »

I'm an American sim farmer... I usually play on American maps and decided to give British map a try. My question is why is there so many hedgerows in most European maps? (Uk/British)....

does some IRL farmers remove hedgerow to connect the field to make it bigger or is it considered a bad thing to do? I must admit I went into the GE and removed some of the hedges to make few fields bigger. Maybe it's just me or anyone did the same? Lol I've ran out of buying more acres. Need 4x version of court farms! (I'm on work injury leave so got plenty time to play now 2 weeks into the game save in court)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

MOOUSE wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 pm I'm an American sim farmer... I usually play on American maps and decided to give British map a try. My question is why is there so many hedgerows in most European maps? (Uk/British)....

does some IRL farmers remove hedgerow to connect the field to make it bigger or is it considered a bad thing to do? I must admit I went into the GE and removed some of the hedges to make few fields bigger. Maybe it's just me or anyone did the same? Lol I've ran out of buying more acres. Need 4x version of court farms! (I'm on work injury leave so got plenty time to play now 2 weeks into the game save in court)
There's a lot of history on British hedges - a quick Google gives 55 million hits - but the simplest explanation is the Enclosure Act of 1773 which was pretty much the end of the "open fields". Hedges are chosen over fences because with proper management they are self repairing. A good hedge is stock proof but lets as much wind thrugh as goes over, reducing the damaging turbulence on the downwind side.

IRL, Farmers do grub up hedges - there was a lot went on in the 1970s and 80s -- but these days many are protected as wildlife habitat. In the area around Court Farms the small fields are likely to stay small, because the farms are small and so don't have the capital to make economic sense of big equipment.

As far as Farm Sim goes, I believe a lot of players cut down the trees and rip out the hedges to make big(ger) fields, but personally I don't see the point: It might be just me, but I tend to use equipment that "fits" the farm and field size, so I can get the year's jobs done on a 40 ha farm using 3m equipment, or a 80 ha farm using 6m or on an even bigger farm using 12m equipment ... but each to his/her own! The only big change I'm going to be doing, now that the first panic harvest is in, will be to add collisions to the hedges.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
BoxTunnel

Post by BoxTunnel »

blue_painted wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:32 am
MOOUSE wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:00 pm I'm an American sim farmer... I usually play on American maps and decided to give British map a try. My question is why is there so many hedgerows in most European maps? (Uk/British)....

There's a lot of history on British hedges - a quick Google gives 55 million hits - but the simplest explanation is the Enclosure Act of 1773 which was pretty much the end of the "open fields". Hedges are chosen over fences because with proper management they are self repairing. A good hedge is stock proof but lets as much wind thrugh as goes over, reducing the damaging turbulence on the downwind side.

IRL, Farmers do grub up hedges - there was a lot went on in the 1970s and 80s -- but these days many are protected as wildlife habitat. In the area around Court Farms the small fields are likely to stay small, because the farms are small and so don't have the capital to make economic sense of big equipment.

As far as Farm Sim goes, I believe a lot of players cut down the trees and rip out the hedges to make big(ger) fields, but personally I don't see the point: It might be just me, but I tend to use equipment that "fits" the farm and field size, so I can get the year's jobs done on a 40 ha farm using 3m equipment, or a 80 ha farm using 6m or on an even bigger farm using 12m equipment ... but each to his/her own! The only big change I'm going to be doing, now that the first panic harvest is in, will be to add collisions to the hedges.
Indeed, I was recently watching a local farmer's youtube video where he was saying there is a reason UK fields are as they are as the soil can differ hugely in a few hundred meters.

Link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQTSBbzWm2M No idea how to do proper linky stuff because I am very old and still listen to music on vinyl!