Wild Livestock Harvesting

Helazak

Wild Livestock Harvesting

Post by Helazak »

Just wondering if there is any interest in wild livestock harvesting in the game.

A common practice near me is planting a field as a feed lot for wild game. With tree stands and feeding stations you can attract deer and add to the families deep freezer with fresh meat.

I wouldn't want to turn the game into a version of deer hunter, but there could be a way to encourage the deer population and sell hunting licenses so NPC hunters can harvest the population. You would have to balance overharvesting vs overpopulation like our local game wardens do. There could be different game seasons.

Just a thought. It is a real way land owners make a buck. (pun intended)
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
UncleRico

Re: Wild Livestock Harvesting

Post by UncleRico »

So you’re talking like planting CRP? That’s where the money would come from? If so that is a unique idea. Get yearly payments for so many years but you can’t touch it.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

20 Years ago there was a sim park that had rabbits and foxes and the park ranger had to manage the population of both so the foxes didn't eat the rabbits and thus themselves into extinction and the rabbits population had to be managed so they didnt eat all the plants and starve themselves. Same concept but using deer and hunters. Your profit would be from selling hunting licenses. Deer stands and feeding stations would increase the likelihood of a successful hunt and your license price would go up.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Helazak wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:01 am Deer stands and feeding stations would increase the likelihood of a successful hunt and your license price would go up.
This game is rated E for everyone meaning that you have not a cat in Hell's chance of getting anything like it past Giants.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

j_maybury wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:45 am
Helazak wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:01 am Deer stands and feeding stations would increase the likelihood of a successful hunt and your license price would go up.
This game is rated E for everyone meaning that you have not a cat in Hell's chance of getting anything like it past Giants.
We sell cattle to get butchered. You dont have to show any shooting. No blood required.

Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

No, you sell cattle with no intent of their end purpose, at least on console. Pc is more lenient but the rating would certainly be an issue on console.
Playing on PC and PS4
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

I’d be interested in the CRP type aspects of it but not so much the wildlife management aspects. That’s getting too much into roller coaster building territory.
Massey44

Post by Massey44 »

I like the idea of more conservation in the game, maybe bringing in agroforestry style farming. Hunting however realistic won't happen due to the age rating for the same reason we can't make 'extra special' grape juice. As far as everyone is concerned the cows we sell off find new homes on other farms, live peacefully to the end of their days and have nothing to do with steaks and barbeques. :D
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

Helazak wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:49 am We sell cattle to get butchered. You dont have to show any shooting. No blood required.
The only way to find abattoirs is through private websites or other sources related to butchery. This is the source from which Scroft obtains all of his props for his video series. The problem with private sources is that many of the mods interfere with other mods found on the mod hub. A lot of these mods are rejected from the mod hub for this very reason. I have personally experienced issues with some of the mods from private websites which led to the game breaking because of conflicts with mods from the mod hub. While some of the mods may work, many don't, and some can even break parts of the game. In my opinion, Maze Plus should be banned from the mod hub for the same reason.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

j_maybury wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:21 pm In my opinion, Maze Plus should be banned from the mod hub for the same reason.
Why not just not use it?
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

j_maybury wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:21 pm
Helazak wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:49 am We sell cattle to get butchered. You dont have to show any shooting. No blood required.
The only way to find abattoirs is through private websites or other sources related to butchery. This is the source from which Scroft obtains all of his props for his video series. The problem with private sources is that many of the mods interfere with other mods found on the mod hub. A lot of these mods are rejected from the mod hub for this very reason. I have personally experienced issues with some of the mods from private websites which led to the game breaking because of conflicts with mods from the mod hub. While some of the mods may work, many don't, and some can even break parts of the game. In my opinion, Maze Plus should be banned from the mod hub for the same reason.
Most third party mods never even get sent to modhub to even get tested, and if they did, they don't get tested against other mods so they wouldn't get rejected for that so your argument is moot. And I haven't found where Maize Plus breaks anything in the game itself, if it did it wouldnt pass. It may break things with other mods but again, theres no way they are going to test against all other mods.
Playing on PC and PS4
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

Massey44 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:10 pm I like the idea of more conservation in the game, maybe bringing in agroforestry style farming. Hunting however realistic won't happen due to the age rating for the same reason we can't make 'extra special' grape juice. As far as everyone is concerned the cows we sell off find new homes on other farms, live peacefully to the end of their days and have nothing to do with steaks and barbeques. :D
The trick is to drink fuzzy grape juice while making juicy juice in game to make up for the discrepancy 🤪
j_maybury

Post by j_maybury »

UncleRico wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:26 pm
j_maybury wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:21 pm In my opinion, Maze Plus should be banned from the mod hub for the same reason.
Why not just not use it?
Because it breaks other mods on the mod hub and I have been told that he has no intention of doing anything about it.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

j_maybury wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:53 pm
Because it breaks other mods on the mod hub and I have been told that he has no intention of doing anything about it.
So do quite a few other mods. As far as intention to correct it are they aware? Should they have to? Could the broken mod creators work it out themselves? Seems like speculation as a he only mod that doesn’t work is the net wrap/twine add on and as far as I knew it worked fine until the last time those two were updated.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Great discussion guys.
My main point was that wildlife conservation is one aspect of farm life, and it is an important one.
The discussion has taken a few tangents, but I like a good flow of discussion.

One of the disadvantages of civilization is that city populations forget where there food comes from. We have raised our kids intentionally acknowledging that we eat chickens, cows and pigs.

The squeamishness of the general population does make a great opportunity for practical jokes. I love the video that was done in Brazil a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4WhppBNCM

I realize the game does not have the purpose of changing society, but do we have a responsibility to educate about reality?
I didnt intend to bring it up but glue factories and butcher shops are part of the farming lifecycle.
The question is, can these legitimate aspects of farm life be introduced in a way that does not spark micro aggressions?