Feedback from a Real Farmer

Eganwp

Feedback from a Real Farmer

Post by Eganwp »

Just want to start off with saying this is a GREAT game! :mrgreen: I’ve never played any of the previous versions, but decided to jump in with both feet as I custom built my own water cooled pc and thought it would be a fun game to play during the winter months while I’m not farming here in southern Alberta, Canada. We are solely a John Deere operation (70+ years, 3 generations going strong) who grow Durum & Canola.

That being said, I kept notes as I played the game of things that I feel need work as they don’t match real life farming. Some of these are obviously bugs, while others are improvements that would majorly help the game. These comments are based of FS ‘22 PC version (Win 10 Pro and latest 22H2 patch version. Game version the latest patch 1.13.1.0 + all DLC & all expansions purchased and installed). I’ve tried submitting bug reports but for some reason am having issues doing so. If someone is able to submit these as bug reports for me, it would be amazing.

In no particular order, here we go:

COMBINES (harvest thrashing):
- Should show a loss monitor based on ground speed, crop yield & settings! This would take realism to the next level.
- Live crop yield + engine load + ground speed slowing in heavier crops would be a huge addition to realism. I installed a combine engine load mod that makes it MUCH more realistic but this simple idea could be made much better and integrated into the base game.
- Intercropping (I had canola in wheat) should both be harvested down to stubble height when cut. The game leaves behind one of the crops that isn’t fully mature which isn’t realistic/a bug.
- Reel speed should increase/decrease with combine ground speed on higher end models.
- Hopper buzzer @ full and not force you to stop harvesting and disengage the header. Keep going and you start spilling over.
- Unloading the hopper into trucks/wagons should be done front to back by auto workers in order to evenly distribute axle weight. In real life, you’d never load the rear of a trailer first or it would be crazy unstable and sway out of control when towed.
- At the beginning & ends of rows, combine headers if left down too long, should pickup the straw left behind from the previous combine pass you’re driving over with the header down.

MISC:
- Volunteer of the previous year’s crop(s) should partially show-up. Even just the previous year’s crop only would make it much more realistic. Spraying could reduce this count more than tilling as well (though we use round-up ready crops in real life).
- AI workers should cut 3 headland passes on the short ends of the field (or even rounds to make it simple for AI) when starting a new field. They don’t do this and often get stuck/stop because they don’t have enough room to turn around from power poles/roads/ditches/trees/etc. making it really annoying to always be checking the ai workers when starting a new crop.
- Make bridges a build option! The built-in bridges are fall to narrow to pass over with a large combine & header. You have to try and access your fields from another side or drive through the neighbours to be able to access your own field with some equipment.
- If crop damage is turned on, when driving over a neighbour’s crop, automatically deduct a small crop damage $$ that would “act as a payment” to your neighbour for damaging their crop.
- Paint fading happens WAY too fast. Base it off the # of days or months in the sun, or simply just slow it down.
- Machinery “damage” happens way too fast, especially on used equipment with very few hours. It isn’t realistic and should be turned way down. Or add a maintenance option which would decrease damage to machinery if done regularly like real life.
- Lastly, all machinery should register damage when bumping into objects. Or at least a toggle to turn it on/off in settings.

Thanks again for an amazing game! These are the things I noted after 50 hours of gameplay that bugged me the most about the game, and would make it MUCH more realistic. Again, some of these are bugs and should be reported to the bug report form so they can be fixed/implemented by the correct team if someone is able to do so for me. :)

- Travis (IRL Farmer)
Chenbenj

Re: Feedback from a Real Farmer

Post by Chenbenj »

MODERATION : Moved from french section :)
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Hi Travis and welcome to Farm Sim and the forum (not that I have any special standing to offer the welcome but so be it)

I agree with most if not all of your points above but I should point out that this is a player-to-player forum and although GIANTS do (probably) keep a watch on the postings here, it is not the best place for suggestions/bug reports. The public bug tracker details are here: viewtopic.php?t=168424 -- it's worth noting that the bug tracker needs a separate set of credentials to this forum.

I think that GIANTS Discord is probably the best place for suggestions. Having said that, there's continual tension between "realism" and "playability" and how much of each should or shouldn't be part of the game, so don't expect your suggestions to be acted on in the near future, or at all.

Some of the issues you mention are addressed, to some degree or other, by mods (https://www.farming-simulator.com/mods. ... country=ca). You don't say what platform you are playing on, but consoles -- PS4/PS5 and XBox various -- are restricted to a subset of mods available to PC/Mac, only licenced brands are permitted and no script mods.

I hope this helps.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Gugernoot215

Post by Gugernoot215 »

The game says simulator, to hell the playability.
Although a set of simple equipment to start off with that plays the same as the game does right now would work as from there you can ease yourself into advanced mechanics of farming which will be required to get full yield.
Running on 2 year old new old hardware that used to crash often.
Image server (upload your images here): https://image.giants-software.com/
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

The problem is they want the game to be for all ages. The other issue is that for every one player that wants the levels of realism that you are suggesting there are 10 that just "want to go fast". Unfortunately the realism crowd is in the minority
Playing on PC and PS4
W1der

Post by W1der »

Here we go again ... :)

I am all for making a simulator as realistic as possible.

We have many options/settings in the game but none of them are really regarding the "realism" (only different starting scenarios, economy and so on).

For future versions of this series I would like to see that there is more focus on this type of realism settings that the OP highlights (with the option to play this as an "arcade" game for beginners).

GIANTS are growing and probably making more money than ever ... so ... maybe by now they will be able to turn this in to a real simulation.
But they need to hurry before farming is ALL AI ... because that simulation will be ZERO fun to play ... :lol:

... :hi:
[Win11] Intel Core i9-13900F Tray 5.6GHz / MSI RTX4090 24GB GDDR6 / 2x16GB 5600MHz DDR5
NewHollandLegend

Post by NewHollandLegend »

Future games should implement all that you’ve suggested, however I don’t see them doing that. i just want to see an actual Ai worker that we can employ, promote, fire. Having employees doing different tasks automatically would be a huge upgrade and add to the immersive feeling that the map is alive which farming simulator clearly lacks now. i’m sick and tired of having to babysit a hired helper plow or harvest a field. This option alone should have been added years ago! 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤦🏻‍♂️