New player wants to set up his own farm...

Fredashay

New player wants to set up his own farm...

Post by Fredashay »

Hi everyone!
I just bought Farm Sim 22 on Steam a few days ago and just started playing. I'm a complete n00b.
I played in New Farmer mode over the weekend and got the hang of it.
Then I played Farm Manager mode and bought a farm.
But what I really want to do is buy some vacant overgrown land and choose my own buildings and dirt roads and place them where I want.
Is it possible to do that? Or do I have to choose one of the ready-made farms to buy on one of the maps?
PrincessJessi84

Re: New player wants to set up his own farm...

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

It depends on the map. Some offer nice but pretty rigid prebuilt farms and others, starting on new farmer or start from scratch will remove the buildings from the starting farm(s) and start you with nothing but money. Buy what you want to start with (like a pickup and chainsaw for example), lease the "extra" money away or command it away with certain mods (I will link stuff if you need) and bammo, journey begins :)
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

You can certainly start from scratch and build your farm where you want. I'd suggest going through all the maps on modhub and find one that seems ideal to you. Just trying all the maps can be a lot of fun itself.
DanL58

Post by DanL58 »

Look at the maps No Man's Land or Western Wilds
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

A lot of the maps that allow it say in their descriptions if you can remove the starter buildings also. That should help narrow down the more creator friendly maps.
GrimGandalf

Post by GrimGandalf »

In every map you can also buy any field and make it your farm as well. Using the terrain editor to transform it to land from field. Not the overgrown land your looking for unless your getting rid of a withered field I guess.
PS4, XBOX X & PC Video Game Farmer
SimulatedFarmer

Post by SimulatedFarmer »

I love doing this. I have a bit of advice, though. Before you go too far in making the perfect farm, practice a little with the landscaping terrain, especially placing buildings. Make sure the asking price of the building, etc., is close to the price you see when placing it, level the land first in construction menu. Otherwise you can get some really uncomfortable bumps that are nearly impossible to fix. Also, SAVE YOUR MAP before placing big things. I ruined a lot of my own work before I learned to always do that.

It sounds like you might become a wannabe map maker or, maybe an actual one. I would, but play on console and for reason can’t switch to pc. If you’re on pc, you can have it all!!!
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yes, save alot.
I usually save before starting, do a little, and if pleased with the work so far, save again, then do a bit more, save if pleased, or reload if not. Repeat until done for now
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Yeah, turn off 'auto save'. Nothing worse than making major irreversible changes, realising you dont like them, going to quit and then it saves your progress. We've all done it. Once.

I also keep one save slot not for playing, but for testing. Testing mods, testing terrain editing, testing anything. Just place down a load of 'government subsidy' signs (available on the modhub) so you have unlimited money, add a few basic vehicles, maybe set up a field that is ready for harvesting when you want to test out a harvester, and then save. Use it for anything that you dont want to risk on a playthrough slot until you are confident it is what you want/need etc.
Fredashay

Post by Fredashay »

Thank you, everybody. I'll czech out those maps some of you mentioned...
I didn't know you could edit a map in the game (I assume you needed a map editor, if one is even available for this game). That's a nice feature!
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Fredashay wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:17 pm Thank you, everybody. I'll czech out those maps some of you mentioned...
I didn't know you could edit a map in the game (I assume you needed a map editor, if one is even available for this game). That's a nice feature!
It all depends on your platform -- if you are on PC, then there's GIANTS Editor (GE) which can take a bit of getting used to but lets you do a lot .. if you are on Mac then there's a certain amount of XML and graphic editing you can do, if you are on console then you've only got the in-game Construction tools, which are better than nothing but have the afore-mentioned issues!

GIANTS Editor is found on the development network: https://gdn.giants-software.com/
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Fredashay

Post by Fredashay »

I play on Steam on the PC, so I'll czech out the Giants Editor. Thanks!

I own FS19 and FS22. BTW, when I first bought them, FS19 ran fine on my machine, but FS22 kept crashing on the loading screen when it got to 100% and wouldn't actually go into the game. But I upgraded Proton to the experimental version and now FS22 runs fine.

One thing I don't like about the in-game construction tools is that if you don't own the land right up to the road edge, you can't connect your driveway to the road, but have a short patch of grass to drive over.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick