Reading CACHE files?

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
HerpDerp1919

Reading CACHE files?

Post by HerpDerp1919 »

A few friends and I have a lot of hours on a map with a lot of custom landscaping/farms built. I found an updated map for the map we are playing on and I'm trying to change all the files over to try and make our current save work however I am running into a couple issues.

1) Luckily all actual terrain changes transferred over, but anything that was painted has not been saved. As far as I can find all the landscaping changes are saved in the "terrain.lod.type" and "terrain.nmap" files in the save game. However with these being CACHE files, notepad can't open them. Is there any way to actually open these and make changes or are we just hosed on that part?

2) When a map starts, where do all the initial field states get seeded from? I initially thought it would be the "fields" file in the save, however if that were the case then all the fields would still be the same as what we have.

These might be some super basic questions, but this is my first time digging into a map this deep so I appreciate any guidance any of yall can provide.